View Single Post
Old 08-02-2015   #22
Evans
Grimscribe
Quotes: 0
Points: 32,953, Level: 100 Points: 32,953, Level: 100 Points: 32,953, Level: 100
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Activity: 99% Activity: 99% Activity: 99%
Re: Thread for Specific Philosophers and/or Philosophical Movements

For a nice accessible summary of Leibniz Best of All Possible Worlds theory I recommend this paper by James Franklin:

https://www.academia.edu/9001873/Two...izs_best_world

Keep in mind that for Leibniz this being the best possible world means the best possible world in toto i.e. considered from start to finish (I’m disregarding modern accounts of Possible World semantics here though we could take this as the total state-of-affairs which makes contingent up reality from start to finish). So depending on the temporal boundaries of such a world he arguably* only requires the amount of Good to exceed that of Evil by the greatest extent possible – an possible extent which determines the extent of what ‘Omnibenevolence’ means.

*I say arguably because since God acts under the necessity of His own Nature rather than through free choice it may be that the world with the most good in has to happen no matter how unpleasant the rest of its contents are.

I am not accusing either of you of philistinish readings of the phrase ‘Best of all Possible Worlds’ but it’s worth noting that some Pessimists were arguably committed to this. Hartmann is an extreme case in point but others take it more prosaically to mean that no better world is even possible. When asked about the after-life Ligotti I think once said something to the effect that he couldn’t imagine any world better than this only worse (here we enter confusion over possible worlds though – surely there is a world in which for instance he worked with nicer people).

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
Third, I personally prefer St. Iranaeus's "Vale of Soul Making" Theodicy as retconned by philosopher John Hick in "Evil and The God of Love." Earth as boot camp for the soul is the only theodicy I've heard of that's seemed to even have a shot at facing the very valid, and very strong objections faced by all theodicies.
I prefer Spinoza's all seasons being alike to God...

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
X Russell (and myself if I am to be honest) REALLY wanted to interpret Leibniz in the absence of his divine, omnibenevolent Creator (which, as you noted, he absolutely does NOT want to do). That interpretation really focuses on the use of the word "best."
Don't worry we can get the same result - try Optimalism

EDIT: IF people are not already aware of it R.M. Adams'

is the recommended modern account of Leibniz' metaphysics including of course his theodicy and its modal implications. Rescher's

is also a classic.

Edited Edit: is there anyway to stop Amazon links displaying those silly boxes? Edit the Third: thanks for the tip-off

Last edited by Evans; 08-02-2015 at 04:38 PM..
Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
4 Thanks From:
Michael (08-02-2015), miguel1984 (08-02-2015), With Strength I Burn (08-03-2015), xylokopos (08-03-2015)