THE NIGHTMARE NETWORK
Go Back   THE NIGHTMARE NETWORK > Discussion & Interpretation > The Repository > Online Literature > Selections by Amateur Authors > Prose
Home Forums Content Contagion Members Media Diversion Info Register
Comment

Article Tools Search this Article Display Modes Translate
The Black Mass ☆Mark Samuels Fanfiction☆
Mark is my hero
Published by Justin Isis
04-20-2014

Decided to serialize this due to its length and because I'd prefer not to break it into multiple pages...if you enjoy this story please buy more of Mark Samuels's books to get the real thing

THE BLACK MASS
Mark Samuels reached...
14 Thanks From:
By Justin Isis on 04-21-2014
Re: The Black Mass ☆Mark Samuels Fanfiction☆

They approached a residence which appeared similar to the others in the area. Two white stone walls separated it from its neighbors, while twin rose bushes bordered the path leading to the doorway. Rioko raised her phone and called Okamura to announce their arrival. A moment later the door opened and an elderly woman stepped out. Samuels had expected a wizened hag with her back bent double, perhaps wearing a kimono, but this woman, despite her evident age, looked sprightly in a smart black blouse and floral skirt that could have come from Prada or another high end brand. Her long grey hair was pulled back in a bun, and she wore a pair of gold-rimmed glasses. She motioned them over, smiling, and Rioko greeted her in the same formal register she had used earlier on the phone.

Before stepping into the entrance way Mrs. Okamura asked them to remove their shoes. Samuels took off his new steel-toed boots, which she stared at with evident curiosity. Then she said something to Rioko, and Samuels became aware that she wanted to relieve him of his backpack.

"I'll just bring it in with me," he said. "Goodies inside, remember?"

Rioko interpreted for him, and they were ushered inside. Before they came to the living room Samuels became aware of a smell emanating from within. He thought first of mold, but it was less musty than pungent, and he realized with a certain disgust that it was a human smell, that of hundreds of people crammed into a small space, like the hold of a slave ship. There was no evidence of such congestion, though, as the house's interior seemed all but empty. Samuels noticed what looked to be freshly-cut roses in a vase, but their scent did little to disguise the underlying stench.

A large rectangular table occupied the living room. This too seemed to be empty, until Samuels noticed its seated figure. He had at first taken it to be an object - a bundle of clothes, or at best a mannequin. Despite the heat outside and the slow whir of the air conditioner, the figure was wearing a heavy woollen coat and had been wrapped in at least two layers of blankets. A cap and dark glasses hid the top of its face, while the rest was covered by a cold mask. As the figure rose with some effort, Samuels realized that it was Okamura himself. He greeted them with a sepulchral trickle of words, suggesting a throat ravaged by cancer.

"Mr. Okamura apologizes for his voice and appearance," Rioko explained. "He says that he's 'pretty far along'. Very old - I think that's what he means."

"Pleased to meet you and all that," Samuels said. "Tell them we can't stay long, will you?"

At Mrs. Okamura's prompting, Samuels sat across from the sculptor, taking the opportunity to look around the room. A screen partitioned it into two areas, one containing the kitchen and living area; the other, he supposed, the couple's beds. The walls were covered with large framed prints, most of them abstract images reminiscent of those on the cult's website. Small stands had been set up in seemingly random places, supporting angular sculptures and abstract constructions of blown glass. An enormous plasma television screen dominated the far wall. The room's proportions seemed subtly wrong - the walls too high, the table too low to the ground - although not having set foot in any other Japanese homes, he could not be certain these features were as anomalous as they seemed. Whatever the case, their effect, combined with his headache and the unbearable stench, both of which had become impossible to ignore, made him anxious to leave as soon as possible.

Okamura spoke again in the same ruined voice, and a stunted conversation ensued. Samuels tried to keep up with Rioko's explanations, but he sensed that she was having trouble thinking of English equivalents for whatever the sculptor was saying. Soon Mrs. Okamura broke in and an awkward exchange followed, which Samuels interpreted in terms of the dynamics of their facial expressions. Mrs. Okamura was insisting on something, and Rioko was struggling to refuse her with as much diplomacy as she could muster. For a moment Rioko seemed to have won, but then Mrs. Okamura dismissed her with a smile, as if she were addressing a child, and headed to the kitchen.

"She's bringing out tea. I tried to stop her, but..."

"Dead serious," Samuels said. "Do. Not. Drink."

"She mentioned dinner too - she's prepared some kind of roast. I told her we can't stay long, but she said we have to at least try it."

He sensed Okamura following the conversation, and for a moment he was certain the old man understood English. But then the sculptor launched into a monologue which Rioko struggled through in fits and starts.

"He says thank you for coming...he realizes you've made a great effort to get here. I'm not sure whether he means this house or Japan in general. He says that his friend Shimura, or Brother Yuji, wanted to talk to you after he read your black mold story. He wanted to tell you the good news. Your story was sad, Brother Yuji said, but the real future isn't like that...the real future is a paradise."

Mrs. Okamura returned with two glasses of cold black tea. Samuels's throat was parched and he found himself wanting to reach out and drink, though he managed to restrain himself, and looked over to make sure Rioko did the same.

"We were worried, after what happened," Rioko said, adding: "I think he's talking about the bookstore."

Okamura said something in a jovial tone and then broke into choking laughter.

"All of us, we're beacons. But Brother Yuji went too far, and he was deactivated. It was too public, that was all, and too fast. But everything turned out for the best, didn't it?"

Samuels noticed that the television screen set against the wall was excessively large, even in this era of enveloping home entertainment; from the corner of his eye it became a black mouth or window into darkness.

"The large-scale transmissions are coming soon, from the Eon of the New Biology. New contact points. He hopes you'll join the Human Communion and continue the good work back in England. He says there are already contact points waiting for you there." Rioko stopped. "I'm sorry. I don't really know what he's talking about. And it's hard for me to breathe in here..."

Samuels too found his breath coming in short, and his consciousness was slipping in the same strange way it had on the street. The pounding in his head continued. The air conditioner, despite its whir, seemed broken; a suffocating heat pressed against his skin. He wanted more than ever to reach for the glass of cold black liquid before him, and he sensed Rioko was feeling the same impulse. He took her hand under the table and squeezed it, hard enough to hurt. She sat up sharply, startled back to attention.

Okamura had placed a handful of white pills on the table.

"These are...um...immunosuppressives. Suppressants. They'll help with making contact."

The sculptor moved his other hand into view and dropped what Samuels recognized as a hunting knife, its serrated edge glinting in the dim overhead light.

"He says...he says we can use this too, if we want. Sudden, localized damage will...will make the process easier. Look, Mark, I think we should get out of here. I'm not really comfortable with -"

Mrs. Okamura interrupted her by bringing out the roast, which did not resemble anything Samuels had ever seen connected with the word. It was a deep dish filled with thick, circular lumps of black matter that reminded him of enormous sea snails. Looking closer, he could see minute silvery filaments connecting them, and the suggestive shapes of half-formed organs beneath the surface. They were covered with a sticky film of matter resembling a mixture of charcoal and slime.

"Right," Samuels said. "I think this has gone on long enough."

He stood and opened his backpack, which had been resting against the table.

"You. Mr. Sculptor. I'd like a look at your face, yeah? Let's see what's under the mask."

Samuels extracted a pair of forearm length gloves from the backpack and, still standing, slid them on. He noticed that this action took Rioko and the Okamuras alike by surprise; now he needed to press his advantage. Belatedly, Rioko explained his request. But instead of seeming threatened, Okamura acted almost relieved. He pulled off the cold mask and removed his cap and glasses, just as Samuels was fitting his own protective goggles over his eyes.

Rioko started back in horror. The sculptor's eyes had fallen out of alignment, and only the left still moved with recognizable human intelligence. The right was a leaking cyst. His face was marred by patches of translucent blue-black skin, in places almost scaled. His nose had caved in, its cartilage reduced to jelly, while his lips had nearly fused into a single teratomal mass.

"Oh," Samuels said, "That's just not on, is it?"

In a single movement he pulled the baseball bat from his backpack and swung it across the table, connecting with Okamura's head. The sculptor fell out of his seat and struck the floor. In the next moment Samuels rushed to his side and pulled off the blankets. Someone behind him screamed, but he was too absorbed in the sight before him to turn and determine whether it was Rioko or the sculptor's wife. The force of the blow had ruptured Okamura's left eye, and a steady stream of black blood flowed from his ruined face. His woollen coat, which had been concealed by the blankets, was drenched in a similar damp substance.

Samuels felt a sharp pain and looked down, remembering that he had removed his boots at the door. The black fluid leaking from Okamura was congealing and liquefying again in sinuous ophidian movements, as if it were being subjected to sudden and extreme temperature changes. Some of it bubbled onto his bare sock and burned like acid. He jerked his foot away and tore the sock off, but the pain remained. Okamura raised his head and Samuels struck him with the bat again. The skin of the sculptor's face hung in flaps, and beneath was not bone but a hard black substance like the shell of a beetle. On impulse Samuels dropped the bat and reached his gloved hands into the wounds, peeling back their unevenly-textured flesh. He felt his hands burning despite their protective coverings as he tightened his grip and dislodged a mound of black gristle from the space where Okamura's brain should have been. Its shell-like exterior seemed to have been arrested during formation, transitioning as it did to leathery scales, slick black fur and other motley textures. At its center was a soft pit of pulp, heavily vascularized and inset with a single staring eye of lacteal blue, its multiple pupils a field of black stars shining in a noonday sky.

"Hello, sunshine," Samuels said, gazing into the eye. "Getting a good look at me?"

Behind him Mrs. Okamura ceased her screaming, grabbed the knife from the table and rushed at Rioko, who was staring at the sculptor's body with dim horror. She turned just in time to upend the table, forming a wall between them. When Mrs. Okamura began edging around it with her weapon extended, Rioko grabbed one of the glass sculptures from its stand and hurled it at her. It struck her shoulder on its way to the wall, where it shattered. At the sound of impact Samuels dropped the black lump and drove his bat through its eye with full strength, reducing it to a milky puddle. Okamura's body continued its strange dissolution, small clots of matter emerging from the riven folds of his face like parasites fleeing their host.

"Right," Samuels yelled. "Out of here, now. Now!"

Rioko hurled another sculpture at Mrs. Okamura and ran for the entrance way. Samuels grabbed his backpack and lugged it after him as he followed her out the door, neither of them stopping to look back.

They continued running until they could no longer see the house behind them. Rioko stopped when they were almost within range of the station, panting from the exertion. Samuels slowed down and felt his heart racing as if it would burst. The pounding in his head had worsened to the point that he was struggling not to vomit. Rioko stared ahead into the distance, seeming not to see him. Her expression was more angry than frightened.

"What the f.uck..." She slowly shook her head. "What the f.ucking hell..."

"Rioko," Samuels said. "We left our bloody shoes."

She laughed, but it was more like a cough. He sensed she felt the same nausea that he did, and was restraining it with similar difficulty.

"Oh my God. I can't believe...his wife. What if she calls the police?"

"Not going to happen," Samuels said. "The last thing they want is the law back there. No, she'll go running to the boss instead. Mr. Aleph."

"We'll have to call them ourselves then. I mean, I only caught a glimpse of that thing but -"

"No police," Samuels said. "That's not how I do things."

"Are you crazy? His wife tried to kill me. They both wanted to poison us. And what was wrong with his body?"

"Look. We don't know what's going on here, neither of us does. The police wouldn't believe us, first of all. Second, we'd waste time and probably give away our position."

"What do you mean, our position? And why did you have all those things in your backpack? Have you been involved in something like this before?"

"Not exactly. But I've seen things I couldn't explain. And I've had enemies, yeah? Maybe not ones like this, but enemies all the same. You always want to keep the upper hand if you can."

"Well," Rioko said. "I don't think they were expecting that."

"With Mark Samuels you don't get what you expect, you get what you deserve."

"I can't believe that really happened. It's like a nightmare."

"You don't have to believe," Samuels said. "It happened. We were both there."

Rioko seemed to calm down - or maybe it was only that exhaustion had caught up with her. They resumed walking until she stopped again.

"Oh my God...we can't go into the station without shoes. We have to find a store."

"Does it really matter?"

"The station guards won't let us on the train barefoot."

They came to the station and walked around to the Sun Road street of shops, where they found a shoe store called ABC Mart. As they passed through the entrance, an attendant came and said something to Rioko.

"He's not letting us in," she said.

"Why?"

"We're not wearing shoes."

"But we're going to buy them!"

"He says it doesn't matter, they can't let anyone in without shoes."

"F.uck's sake..." Samuels said. He pushed past the attendant into the store and threw a handful of notes on the counter. "Here's twenty thousand yen. That's what, a hundred pounds?" He grabbed two pairs of thong sandals from a rack. "I'm buying these. Ta."

He walked back and handed one of the pairs to Rioko.

"Problem solved."

Sandals on, they headed back to the station. Samuels noticed that the spot on his left foot where the black fluid had touched him had taken on a scalded look, and was filled with what appeared to be tiny fragments of black gravel. He made a mental note to disinfect it when he returned to his hotel.

"It's Saturday tomorrow," he said to Rioko. "You don't have work, right?"

"No. But I don't think I'll be able to sleep tonight..."

"I'm sure you've got some medicine for that."

"I do, actually. How did you know?"

"Just a guess. You seem like the insomniac type. I am too, so I might end up asking you for some later. Always found it goes down better with this." He took out his flask and threw back a slug of whiskey.

As they rode back to Shinjuku, Samuels got the impression she was deciding whether to contact him again the next day or head straight to the police.

"Look," he said. "I probably shouldn't have gotten involved in this, and I really shouldn't have gotten you to come along. It's just a thing with me. I'm a bit paranoid. And sometimes I keep going when I should turn and walk away."

Rioko leaned in closer to him. He sensed she felt awkward talking on the train.

"It's all right."

"So I'd understand if you wanted to get out now. You know...tell Mr. Slick I took off on my own. I'll be heading back to England next week and I'm supposed to be meeting some friends of friends before I go, so you lot don't have to worry about me. You can -"

"They tried to kill me," Rioko broke in. "I'm not letting them get away with that."

Samuels nodded, and a minute passed before he spoke again. "I was twelve years old the first time I felt like that. I was walking home in Crystal Palace when some lads decided they didn't like my clothes. Everything I wear I like to keep clean, yeah? Well, they thought my Nike Blazers were too spotless. Said I'd nicked them, said I should hand them over. I could have run or tried to call for help, but I held my ground. Blinded one of them, put the other in the hospital and wound up there myself. Since then, that's how I tend to react."

Rioko looked at him.

"I think you can take those off now."

"What?"

She reached over and gently slipped off the goggles he had forgotten he was wearing.

"The gloves, too. You look like the plumber from Hell."

"That's about how I feel right now, love."

The train arrived at Shinjuku. Rioko needed to change to the Yamanote Line, so they parted on the platform.

"I'll give you a call tomorrow," Samuels said. "We can decide what to do then."

Rioko nodded and managed a half-smile. "Good night."

Samuels walked back his hotel and stopped on the way at a convenience store called Lawson, where he bought a bottle of whiskey, six cans of Kirin beer and a packet of salt and vinegar crisps, or 'POTATOE CHIPPS' as a flaring line of text on the bag referred to them. He had noticed similar misspellings on objects and signs throughout the day, which he put down to the country's American influence, but he was past caring about them now. Back in his room he poured three fingers of whiskey into a plastic cup and drank it neat. Over the next hour, while marveling at the excesses of Japanese late night television, he made what he considered a valiant effort to finish the bottle. After thirty minutes he decided the effort was not only valiant but courtly and heroic. After forty-five it became noble, chivalrous and gallant. He was still searching for synonyms when the darkness in the room deepened.

He looked around. His left hand held the plastic cup, his right a cigarette. He had stripped down to his underwear and changed into an old Zapatista T-shirt he had picked up in Mexico. The lights had been off for some time, but just for a moment the darkness surrounding him had blinked, flashing to absolute pitch before returning to normal. At first he thought the television had lost power, but he was certain nothing on the screen had changed, and so the adjustment must have come from outside it. He was still thinking about it when it happened again, and this time the change remained. The television was on but its light failed to reach him; he could no longer make out any part of his body, and had to touch his face to reassure himself he still existed. The screen, which had been tuned to an infomercial, faded to a pure, crackling white rectangle that burned itself into his eyes. He looked away but the image filled his vision no matter where he turned, and as he struggled to orient himself in the darkness, he slipped and fell off the bed.

Samuels sat up. He was now less than a foot away from the white rectangle, and he watched as a faint image formed on its surface, resolving into the outline of a man. First his head took shape: coal-black eyes with greatly dilated pupils in a stark white face framed by long hair and a wispy beard and mustache. Then his shoulders and the rest of him came into view, the body covered by a long black robe.

The eyes fixed him and the lips moved.

"Good evening, Mark."

Samuels felt an explosion behind his eyes and steadied himself to avoid vomiting. The voice came from the television and from the inside of his head at the same time; he could hear the words ricocheting in his skull like steel ball-bearings.

"Hello, sunshine," he managed. "Bit late for a visit, isn't it?"

"No, not at all."

Samuels clutched his head. There was no difference between the room and his mind, and the voice filled both with its flat blare, a tuneless angel's trumpet whose every syllable announced final judgment. His body and the hotel were gone; there was only the voice and this ultimate void.

"It's a pleasure to finally meet you," the figure said. "If you're wondering, I'm using your own nervous system to communicate. We made contact earlier tonight, but it was you who opened the door. Right now your liver is on the verge of failure, and the little missionaries in your bloodstream are taking advantage of the lowered defenses to receive the transmissions."

Samuels realized he had forgotten to clean his foot. The whiskey had made him forget the pain, but he realized now that the scalded flesh had been filled not with gravel from the street, but traces of the black matter that had escaped the sculptor's body.

"What do you want?" he asked.

"To offer friendship. Brother Eijiro Okamura isn't dead - he's here with us now. The important parts of him are still alive, and he doesn't hold anything against you. His wife, Sister Misako, was surprised and acted without thinking, but she understands now. We're very interested in you, Mark. We need Brothers and Sisters in England to continue our work. You've always sensed there was something beyond this world, haven't you? A greater reality of which the life you know is only a child's sketch. We'd like to show you what it is."

"F.uck off. You corrupt the sick and vulnerable. You're a cancer, and I'm going to end you."

The figure reacted only with a mild smile. Samuels got the impression it was enjoying the contrast between its conciliatory words and the oppressive force with with they were delivered.

"The next visitation has already begun in Tanimoto Hospital. I invite you to attend and share in the contact. You're correct that the sick, those near death, are particularly receptive to the transmissions. They're afraid, but we can remove their fear and heal their wounds, so that they may share in the life of the coming eon. In us there is no death."

"I wouldn't count death out just yet," Samuels said. "Because you're looking at it. Your own."

Immediately after delivering this line, which in his drunken state seemed suitably cinematic, Samuels decided his next priority was to prevent the figure from making any kind of retort. A solution came to him, and he congratulated himself for the way it encompassed an equally pressing matter, that of ending the explosions in his head. As the figure's lips moved to form a response, Samuels pulled back and, summoning all his strength, smashed his head into the screen. After the impact there was a moment of total dislocation, as if he were drowning in a sea of static and razors, and then his awareness dispersed in the darkness of oblivion.
TO BE CONTINUED!
By Murony_Pyre on 04-22-2014

The first installment had me positively choking with laughter!
Bravo, sir, bravo!!!
By ramonoski on 04-22-2014

Good thing you clarified on that whole Lard Baron thing—last thing we need is another "More Dark" type debacle 'round here...
By gveranon on 04-22-2014

Add to Mark S.'s list of infamies that we can blame him for the Beastie Boys?!
By Murony_Pyre on 04-23-2014

Quote Originally Posted by ramonoski View Post
Good thing you clarified on that whole Lard Baron thing—last thing we need is another "More Dark" type debacle 'round here...
Did Justin really clear this up, though ;)
By Justin Isis on 04-23-2014

Lard Baron is the 24-year-old Sydney-based author of Nunslayer and the forthcoming The Cleric. His writing is so obscure that it's not for sale on the Internet. His prose style is unreadably effete and archaic. His real name is Lars Baron but it was misprinted as "Lard" on initial publication and he was too unassertive to ask for a reprint. He was unaware of Laird Barron because he doesn't read any authors from later than the 18th century.
Next part of story:
By Justin Isis on 04-23-2014

Pain returned, first as unwanted light and heat, then as an expanse of generalized aches supporting a constellation of more precise agonies, their coordinates - his foot and forehead, a spot on his side and one on his chest, just above the heart - traced by lines of bone-deep weariness. The sun streaming through the window was the eye of a cruel god.

Samuels forced himself up and checked the time; he had been out for only four or five hours. He scanned the room. There was no sign of damage or forced entry, and more remarkably, the television screen was intact, though he had succeeded in knocking it off its stand. He had not even vomited, though a dark puddle of saliva marked the place where his head had lain.

Next he inspected his foot, which looked worse than before, but was not the tentacled monstrosity he feared it might have changed into over the course of the night. The black grains had enlarged and hardened into scabs, with sticky liquid spreading beneath them. Looking at his stained flesh he imagined death moving within him, then reminded himself that this was a pointless line of thought. Everyone everywhere was always doomed, in the strict physical sense; it was only a question of time. The important thing was to preserve what was valuable. For now, his body was a means to an end. It had served him well before and would last a while longer. He boiled a pot of water and let one of the knives he had bought rest in it for a while before using it to cut away the scabs and remove as much of the black matter as he could. The already blistered flesh broke open and bled. Samuels washed it with soap and water, applied antiseptic ointment he had bought from a pharmacy the day before, covered it with an adhesive bandage and hoped for the best.

Then he forced himself through his morning exercises.

He had not believed the televised specter's remark about the poor condition of his liver, but he decided it was not worth risking it, so he ignored the leftover whiskey and had two breakfast beers instead. Finally he used the hotel phone to call Rioko's mobile. It took ten rings for her to pick up, and when she answered it was in leaden Japanese.

"It's me," Samuels said.

She paused and cleared her throat. "Yeah. Okay. I'm awake."

"Hope you got some sleep. I'm sorry, but - I had a run in with Boss Man Aleph last night. Bastard beamed himself into my room."

"What? Are you okay?"

"Fine. But listen, have you heard of a Tanimoto Hospital?"

"Yeah. It's in Ikebukuro. My cousin is there now. She's having her tonsils taken out."

"Uhhhhhm. Right. Well. That's not good. Not good at all."

"What are you talking about?"

"Aleph mentioned his crew was paying it a visit. He made out they were already there, or arriving soon. And that was before I passed out. Somehow I don't think they're handing out cards and flowers."

"Oh my God...okay. I'm twenty minutes from Ikebukuro by train. I'll meet you outside the East Exit."

Samuels barely managed an "okay" before he heard the phone click. He took a brief shower, grabbed his backpack and headed out the door. Ten minutes later he was in Shinjuku Station, and ten minutes after that he arrived in Ikebukuro by way of the now-familiar Yamanote Line. He met Rioko outside the East Exit. Her hair was down and she was dressed more casually than the day before, but he did not get the impression she had rushed out the door either, and she seemed more composed than she had on the phone. But after a moment he realized that what he had taken for composure was really numb horror.

"This is crazy," she said. "It's like being in a war. I don't know what to feel anymore."

They hailed a taxi outside the station and asked the driver to take them to Tanimoto Hospital.

"Never had any run-ins with the yakuza?" Samuels asked.

"Normal people don't have anything to do with yakuza. It's another world. But even that world, it's still made of people. But this...I don't know what these things are, what this disease is. That's what frightens me."

"We know enough. They're targeting a hospital. They tried to give us immunosuppressant drugs. So this infection or whatever it is doesn't seem to work too well unless the victim is injured or willing."

Rioko gave him a doubtful look.

"Yeah, I know," Samuels said. "My foot is still killing me. Theoretically I could drop dead at any moment. I wanted to pick up a new pair of boots and some other gear but there was no time. Here, wear these at least."

He handed her a pair of gloves and a cold mask from the pharmacy.

"We should really have proper masks or even hazmat suits, but there's no time."

Rioko put on the mask and gloves and said, "Why do we feel so awful whenever we get close to them? I felt like throwing up when we were walking to the house yesterday, and I almost passed out when we went inside. That's the worst part. It's not just what they look like, it's how they make you feel."

"I don't know," Samuels said. "Unless the infection is airborne, some kind of cloud. In which case we're buggered. But Okamura and Boss Man both said something about contact points and transmissions. So maybe it's not a conventional infection at all - maybe it's targeted, like a weapon. They select some coordinates - could be as big as a whole neighborhood block, or as small as a single person - and fire away. Whatever's in range gets hit. That could explain Aleph on the telly as well. We still don't know much about this cult, do we? It could be some kind of experiment, something military. Or alien - can't rule that out either."

Rioko shook her head. "That's crazy..."

"Just trying to consider all possibilities. There's one I've been trying to avoid, which is that it actually is the black mold from my story."

"Why? What happens in the story?"

"The black mold spreads across all time and space, absorbing everything. Including Earth, of course. Not a happy ending. Anyway, it doesn't seem likely, unless I've underestimated my prophetic powers." He noticed the taxi approaching the hospital. "We're almost there. Tell me about your cousin. Do you know what floor she's on?"

"Her name's Yuma. She's eleven. I called my uncle and he said she's on the third floor."

"Yuma, eleven, third floor, got it."

The taxi stopped in front of the hospital and they got out. Before they had taken their first step towards the entrance Samuels felt his headache returning, and a sudden vertigo overcame him. He steadied himself and saw that Rioko was holding a bottle of white tablets out to him.

"Aspirin," she said.

He laughed and took one of them. "Don't think it's going to do much good, love. Thanks, though."

They approached the entrance, where Samuels stopped and opened his backpack. He took out the baseball bat and two kitchen knives, handing the latter to Rioko.

"Anything comes at you...stab it in the head, yeah?"

"It's daytime," Rioko said. "And this is a hospital. There should be people coming in and out all the time. If the cult's inside, everyone will know."

"You're sure about that? It's a small hospital, not on the main strip, and it's still pretty early in the morning. And somehow I don't think they walked in the front door and signed the register."

Samuels left the backpack by the entrance steps, reasoning that it would slow him down in the event of violent conflict. As they passed through the doors he noticed that no one else was around, and there was no sound of movement and no voices from within. When they entered the lobby he was assailed by the same slave hold stench that had been present in Okamura's house.

"It looks deserted..." Rioko said.

"Just be careful, keep your eyes open."

They moved into a long corridor, where Samuels had another attack of vertigo. He felt his headache changing from a dull throb to a white-hot knife-point twisting behind his eyes. He saw that Rioko was holding her hand to her head.

The first corpse they found did not immediately strike him for what it was. It looked like a mound of mixed garbage staining the corridor floor, as if a bin had been overturned: filthy remnants of barely recognizable clothing mashed into a pile of wet black meat. Recognition came with the sight of a single, undamaged ear on its surface. Looking closer Samuels saw that the shapeless flesh was unevenly studded with teeth, and on its other side he made out the shape of a fractured jawbone. He turned just in time to see Rioko vomiting.

Samuels took a step towards her and felt something land on his shoulder. Instinctively he brought his hand up and knocked it away; a moment later he saw a small black slug land on the floor in front of him. He looked up just in time to dodge another. A great black stain bulged through the low ceiling.

"Look out," Samuels shouted.

Rioko looked up and staggered out of the way.

"Are you okay?" Samuels asked.

"No. I feel like I'm in Hell."

"Me too."

Not wanting to risk the enclosed space of an elevator, they arrived at the end of the corridor and began climbing the stairs to the third floor. As they reached it and moved towards the door, Samuels saw movement and held up a hand. Rioko stopped and followed the line of his gaze. The headless corpse of an infant was crawling towards them, its tiny body weighed down with black fungoid growths. Samuels crushed its limbs with several downward arcs of the baseball bat and then kicked it down the stairs.

They entered the door to find a larger corridor with walls covered in black stains. There were more human remains, many all but unrecognizable, and more of the black slugs and larger masses, some of them animating dismembered limbs and broken skulls like snails in their shells. The area resembled the aftermath of a bombing. Samuels and Rioko crossed the corridor without stopping to look at its sights in detail, although it was impossible to ignore their outlines. The exploded bodies and black matter dominated their field of vision, and the air itself seemed thick with sickness. They came to an open area with multiple beds separated by curtains. As they passed through it, something rose from one of the beds and reached out for them. Samuels reacted without thinking, striking it with the bat and dodging away as it reeled from the impact and then came for him again. It had once been a pregnant woman, he realized; that much was clear from the distended bulb of its abdomen. While the woman's head hung forward as if her neck were broken, something resembling a hybrid worm and rat made of mucus thrashed furiously inside the translucent sac of her womb, piloting her from within. Rioko buried one of her knives in it and shoved the mother-vehicle away. Other figures were coming for them now, rising from beds and staggering out from behind curtains. Samuels fended most of them off with the bat, collapsing already fractured skulls and knocking unbalanced bodies to the ground, but Rioko was often forced to slash her way through to safety.

"Call out!" Samuels said. "See if anyone's hiding."

Rioko shouted something in Japanese and repeated it as they moved forward, opening all the closed doors they found and knocking on the locked ones. Some of the rooms discharged fresh horrors; others were empty. There was no sign of any hospital staff, which made Samuels think they were either dead or in hiding. Eventually there was a tentative noise from behind one of the locked doors, and they heard the sound of raised voices. Samuels moved forward and rapped on the door sharply.

"Anyone in there? Rescue team's arrived."

He made out fragments of a muffled conversation. Rioko came over and called out in Japanese. The conversation continued for several moments, and then the door opened slowly. He caught sight of a frightened man's face, pinched, middle-aged. Samuels turned away as he noticed several corpses moving towards them. He held them off with the bat while Rioko spoke to the man behind the door. After a few moments the door swung open and he heard Rioko crying out. He rushed over, expecting some new danger, but saw only a group of people in hospital gowns, most of them very young or very old. One of them, a thin girl with short black hair and braces, rushed forward and embraced Rioko. This, he supposed, was Yuma.

"What's the deal?" he asked.

"These are the only survivors, about ten of them. They think there were others, but they couldn't get to them in time. Most everyone else was too far gone to help."

"No one on the other floors?"

"Not that they know."

"Okay. Tell them we're leaving."

A flurry of conversation broke out. One of the older men seemed to want to stay, not wanting to risk the dangers outside. Samuels reached out and grabbed him, and the man pulled away.

"Not going to argue," Samuels said. "We go, now. Tell them they can stay if they want but we're going."

Without waiting for a response he turned and headed in the direction of the stairs, stopping only to clear the way with his bat so Rioko and Yuma could proceed. As he had expected, all the patients eventually followed after him, including the old man. They made their way back to the ground floor with no casualties, although there were frequent stops to repel the corpses and make sure no one fell behind. Eventually they passed through the lobby and out the door. Samuels retrieved his backpack from near the entrance.

They crossed to the other side of the street and stood for a moment, catching their breath. In their bare hospital gowns, with their terrified faces and frail bodies shivering in the wind, the young and the old alike reminded Samuels of escapees from a prison or concentration camp, not patients at a modern hospital. Yuma and a small boy clung to Rioko. A middle-aged woman began to cry. The old man spoke up again in a querulous voice, and several conversations broke out at once.

"Ask them what happened," Samuels told Rioko. "What they saw, when it took place."

Rioko consulted the old man first, partly to calm him down. She listened for a while, then talked to the others.

"No one remembers much from the beginning," she said. "Most of them were asleep when it happened. They remember waking up with terrible headaches, and some of them started throwing up. The electricity was out. There were strange noises. They saw...holes in space, things they can't explain. There were people screaming and dying. It sounds like total chaos. No one remembers seeing strangers or cult members, but the black matter was everywhere."

"About what I thought," Samuels said. "Okay." He walked over to the old man and placed his hand on his shoulder. "You, sir, are in charge now. Hate to say it, but...you're going to want to get to another hospital. All of you. You could all be infected and not know it." He pointed at the hospital behind them. "That whole area of space is sick, you can feel it."

Rioko explained what he had said. The old man nodded and spoke with the other patients.

"I'll take Yuma home," Rioko said.

All at once the old man began shouting. Samuels looked over and saw him pointing at the crying woman. The other patients had moved away from her, giving him a better view of her face. He saw that a black stain rose up from beneath her gown and curled around her neck, its edge reaching as far as her lower lip. Samuels understood at once. The old man was accusing her of contamination, and the rest of the patients were listening to him. He heard a flurry of clipped shouts and recriminations. The woman backed away and held up her hands, tears streaming down her face. Rioko walked over and tried to calm her down, even as the other patients dispersed, taking off across the street alone and in pairs. The few who remained continued shouting.

"They're saying they should have left her behind," Rioko said. "And that she's probably infected everyone. I think we should get her away from them."

"Some real humanity on display here," Samuels said. "Well, sod it. I don't have time for this."

He went over to the woman, took her hand and led her away from the other patients while Rioko comforted her in Japanese.

"It's all right," Samuels said. "I'll take her back to the station myself. If anyone has a problem they'll have to get through me."

"What are you going to do then?"

"I think there's only one option left. We're going to have to go to the cult headquarters and find Boss Man. And we're going to have to kill him."
TO BE CONCLUDED!
Last edited by Justin Isis; 04-23-2014 at 04:29 AM..
By ramonoski on 04-23-2014

For reason I imagined something akin to a Field Guide to Genre Authors with an entry something like...

Distinguishing Lard Baron from Laird Barron (or viceversa):
  • Laird Barron wears an eye-patch; Lard Baron cups his hand over his left eye to avoid headaches when hungover.
  • Depending on the season, Laird Barron may be seen clean shaved or sporting a manly beard; Lard Baron favours muttonchops.
  • One of them comes from an inhospitable land where the wildlife and nature itself seem to be plotting to murder you at every chance. The other is from Alaska.

disclaimer: ramonoski means no disrespect; he's an open admirer of Barron's great books and rugged looks. on the other hand, he's never read Baron but if he had he'd probably like him too
By Druidic on 04-23-2014

Lard…er, Laird ragged mercilessly on Mark and Stephen Jones in two stories (“More Dark” “Frontier Death Song”). You’re a kind man, Justin. You left him off the hook too easily.

Nice job. Truly disgusting in parts. You understand that’s a compliment…and quite high praise!
By Murony_Pyre on 04-24-2014

Quote Originally Posted by Druidic View Post
Lard…er, Laird ragged mercilessly on Mark and Stephen Jones in two stories (“More Dark” “Frontier Death Song”). You’re a kind man, Justin. You left him off the hook too easily.

Nice job. Truly disgusting in parts. You understand that’s a compliment…and quite high praise!
Lard sounds like a bundle of seeming contradictions on the one hand he takes the time to write in an archaic style (that sounds truly painstaking to me, honestly) but on the other hand doesn't bother when copy-editing his own name...sorta knucking futz!

This is mesmerizing fiction...it seems that Justin made it so effortlessly, too---which speaks volumes to his sheer wit and skill--and it's free!
I can't wait for Spot of Bother at the Race Riots or whatever the new collection is called.
Comment