THE NIGHTMARE NETWORK
Go Back   THE NIGHTMARE NETWORK > Discussion & Interpretation > Other Authors > Grant Morrison
Home Forums Content Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Contagion Members Media Diversion Info Register

Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes Translate
Old 09-10-2015   #61
Michael
Grimscribe
Quotes: 0
Points: 17,485, Level: 91 Points: 17,485, Level: 91 Points: 17,485, Level: 91
Level up: 47% Level up: 47% Level up: 47%
Activity: 21% Activity: 21% Activity: 21%
Re: Another day, another Grant Morrison interview... in which Ligotti is mentioned

Quote Originally Posted by ramonoski View Post
I found Pax Americana to be very clever in its narrative tricks (the opening sequence in reverse, the page where the reading direction effortlessly shifts to right-to-left) but I'm not sure any of it didn't take its cue from Watchmen. Even the reverse bit is already prefigured in the "fearful symmetry" chapter. The characters (their personalities, at least) were also clearly not the Charlton originals but their Watchmen counterparts. In many ways it did read like Watchmen 2.0, and depending on how you see it, it can be both a good or a bad thing.

That said, I'll be damned if Frank Quitely isn't one of the best artists in the business. Even when he works with subpar writers, his art alone is worth the pricetag.
I very much enjoyed Multiversity and Pax Americana was a great one shot issue. I like most, but not all, of what Morrison does (Final Crisis I just couldn't swallow and maybe that's more of a personal fault) and I thought Morrison accomplished what he set out to do in that single issue. Maybe I read it wrong but it seemed like a beautifully done homage to Watchmen and as you said, very clever.
Michael is offline   Reply With Quote
3 Thanks From:
ChildofOldLeech (09-10-2015), miguel1984 (09-11-2015), Stu (09-13-2015)
Old 09-10-2015   #62
Frater_Tsalal
Chymist
Points: 13,207, Level: 79 Points: 13,207, Level: 79 Points: 13,207, Level: 79
Level up: 31% Level up: 31% Level up: 31%
Activity: 29% Activity: 29% Activity: 29%
Send a message via AIM to Frater_Tsalal
Re: Another day, another Grant Morrison interview... in which Ligotti is mentioned

James Sucellus, yes, I've often said that when it comes to the Morrison/Moore feud that, while Morrison is often critical of Moore's work, at the same time he always champions some aspects of Moore's work as well (even in his book Supergods he devotes many pages to discussing Watchmen, and for the most part they're complimentary). On the other hand, I can't think of even one occasion where Moore has EVER said anything nice about Grant's work. Not one! (and I've read a lot of his interviews). The impression I get is that Morrison is very familiar with Moore's work whereas Moore doesn't seem familiar with Grant's work at all.

It's also worth noting that when Morrison gave his side of the feud he was very specific about dates, people, and places, whereas Moore's version was mostly just bile... cleverly written and bitchy bile, but bile nonetheless.

"The Outsider must find a direction and commit himself to it, not lie moping about the meaninglessness of the world."
-Colin Wilson, Religion and the Rebel
Frater_Tsalal is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks From:
miguel1984 (09-11-2015)
Old 09-13-2015   #63
miguel1984
Grimscribe
Points: 71,099, Level: 100 Points: 71,099, Level: 100 Points: 71,099, Level: 100
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

While I love some of Morrison's work (The Filth in particular) I disagree regarding Supergods; I think it should have been named Supergods, or Why Do I Matter: A Grant Morrison Semi-Autobiography Written by Grant Morrison.

It disparages everything from The Sandman fangirls, Alan Moore's Watchmen and Supreme (which it calls a "pastiche", when it is clearly a precursor to Morrison's All-Star Superman) to Siegel and Shuster's handling of Superman's copyright, putting the blame entirely on their shoulders instead of on the crooks at DC Comics, then called Detective Comics, Inc, who are the ones paying him. I am saying it would have served Morrison better if he had kept his mouth shut regarding this subject in particular.

Your fall should be like the fall of mountains. But I was before mountains. I was in the beginning, and shall be forever. The first and the last. The world come full circle. I am not the wheel. I am the hand that turns the wheel. I am Time, the Destroyer. I was the wind and the stars before this. Before planets. Before heaven and hell. And when all is done, I will be wind again, to blow this world as dust back into endless space. To me the coming and going of Man is as nothing.
miguel1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks From:
Frater_Tsalal (09-13-2015)
Old 09-13-2015   #64
Frater_Tsalal
Chymist
Points: 13,207, Level: 79 Points: 13,207, Level: 79 Points: 13,207, Level: 79
Level up: 31% Level up: 31% Level up: 31%
Activity: 29% Activity: 29% Activity: 29%
Send a message via AIM to Frater_Tsalal

I don't know, maybe it's just me but I found the first part of what you said about Supergods funny. I like how it starts off as a history of the superhero, but at some point Grant obviously got bored with that and decided to just turn it into straight up autobiography (which he obviously knew would annoy a lot of people, but he did it anyway). I get the impression that he's his own #1 fan and is obviously in love with his own work, but I think that's kind of refreshing in that I can think of so many other writers who always say how much they hate reading their own work (incidentally, this is also one of the reasons I like Quentin Tarantino).

"The Outsider must find a direction and commit himself to it, not lie moping about the meaninglessness of the world."
-Colin Wilson, Religion and the Rebel
Frater_Tsalal is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Thanks From:
ChildofOldLeech (09-14-2015), miguel1984 (09-13-2015)
Old 01-19-2016   #65
Stu
Grimscribe
Points: 22,763, Level: 100 Points: 22,763, Level: 100 Points: 22,763, Level: 100
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Activity: 14% Activity: 14% Activity: 14%

There's a Morrison interview about Nameless in this month's SciFiNow. I've only glanced at the interview as I haven't read Nameless yet and the interview looked a little spoilery but I did see that Morrison mentions Ligotti, Brassier, Qabalah and various other stuff that I've forgotten. For those who can't find a copy of the mag I'm guessing the interview will go up on the SciFiNow website at some point.

The Mask Behind the Face, Pendragon Press 2005
Shards of Dreams, Double Dragon eBooks 2004
Spare Parts, Rainfall Books 2003

Stuart Young\''s blog: http://stuartyoungwriter.blogspot.co.uk/
Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Thanks From:
miguel1984 (01-19-2016), waffles (01-19-2016)