THE NIGHTMARE NETWORK
Go Back   THE NIGHTMARE NETWORK > Miscellanea > Off Topic > Video Games
Home Forums Content Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Contagion Members Media Diversion Info Register

Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes Translate
Old 02-28-2016   #1
ToALonelyPeace
Grimscribe
Quotes: 0
Points: 22,884, Level: 100 Points: 22,884, Level: 100 Points: 22,884, Level: 100
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Activity: 99% Activity: 99% Activity: 99%
Interactive Fiction

Interactive Fiction doesn't have the 'video' part in video games, but it is considered a sub-genre of video game where you interact purely with the text (though sometime there are pictures too).
It was very popular for games such as Zork and A Mind Forever Voyaging, but now there aren't commercial IF games anymore. Instead, they're free and can be accessed here
The Interactive Fiction Database - IF and Text Adventures

I discover some horror, surreal ones and have been playing them for some time. I think they'll be of interest to everyone here (I'll copy the beginning introductions instead of writing summaries):

Anchorhead

Anchorhead - Details

"The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind
is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind
of fear is fear of the unknown.

-- H.P. Lovecraft"
Outside the Real Estate Office

Vespers

Vespers - Details

Be not forgetful to entertain
strangers: for thereby some have
entertained angels unawares.

-- Hebrews 13:2

Shade
Shade - Details

Odd, how the light just makes your apartment gloomier. Pre-dawn darkness pools in the corners and around the tops of walls. Your desk lamp glares yellow, but the shadows only draw your eyes and deepen. Not much of an apartment, no. One desk, paper-piled, with a dusty computer shoved to the side. Your futon. Second-hand stereo sitting on a cardboard crate. A kitchen nook one way and a bathroom nook the other, with a closet to the side. A broad mirror tries to make the place seem twice its size; it halfway works. One window, whose shade is down, and the front door firmly shut. Your luggage is piled untidily by the door. A potted hyacinth sits beneath the window. You are sprawled on the futon, staring up into that gloom. Your eyes feel gritty. But it's too late -- early -- no time left for sleep, anyway. In a few hours your ride will arrive. On the desk are your to-do list and a travel book.

De Baron

De Baron - Details
The bronze doors fall closed behind you, and you hear bolts being drawn across the door. There is no way back; it is you, or the dragon. Gripping the axe in a gauntletted hand, you step forward, into the heat.

Galatea

Galatea - Details
You come around a corner, away from the noise of the opening. There is only one exhibit. She stands in the spotlight, with her back to you: a sweep of pale hair on paler skin, a column of emerald silk that ends in a pool at her feet. She might be the model in a perfume ad; the trophy wife at a formal gathering; one of the guests at this very opening, standing on an empty pedestal in some ironic act of artistic deconstruction -- You hesitate, about to turn away. Her hand balls into a fist. "They told me you were coming."

***The games themselves don't have images, these are only covers.

"Tell me how you want to die, and I'll tell you who you are. In other words, how do you fill out an empty life? With women, books, or worldly ambitions? No matter what you do, the starting point is boredom, and the end self-destruction. The emblem of our fate: the sky teeming with worms. Baudelaire taught me that life is the ecstasy of worms in the sun, and happiness the dance of worms."
---Tears and Saints, E. M. Cioran
ToALonelyPeace is offline   Reply With Quote
3 Thanks From:
Jeff Coleman (02-29-2016), miguel1984 (02-29-2016), Speaking Mute (07-31-2016)
Old 02-29-2016   #2
miguel1984
Grimscribe
Points: 73,518, Level: 100 Points: 73,518, Level: 100 Points: 73,518, Level: 100
Activity: 43% Activity: 43% Activity: 43%
Re: Interactive Fiction

This brought to mind Club Salsa by Dave McKean. Sadly, it is not longer online.

Your fall should be like the fall of mountains. But I was before mountains. I was in the beginning, and shall be forever. The first and the last. The world come full circle. I am not the wheel. I am the hand that turns the wheel. I am Time, the Destroyer. I was the wind and the stars before this. Before planets. Before heaven and hell. And when all is done, I will be wind again, to blow this world as dust back into endless space. To me the coming and going of Man is as nothing.
miguel1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Thanks From:
Druidic (02-29-2016), ToALonelyPeace (02-29-2016)
Old 02-29-2016   #3
ToALonelyPeace
Grimscribe
Threadstarter
Points: 22,884, Level: 100 Points: 22,884, Level: 100 Points: 22,884, Level: 100
Activity: 99% Activity: 99% Activity: 99%
Re: Interactive Fiction

Quote Originally Posted by miguel1984 View Post
This brought to mind Club Salsa by Dave McKean. Sadly, it is not longer online.

That picture is hilarious.

Though not many seem interested (IF is not popular, and there aren't many gamers on this site as it is) I feel like adding some gameplays.

"Tell me how you want to die, and I'll tell you who you are. In other words, how do you fill out an empty life? With women, books, or worldly ambitions? No matter what you do, the starting point is boredom, and the end self-destruction. The emblem of our fate: the sky teeming with worms. Baudelaire taught me that life is the ecstasy of worms in the sun, and happiness the dance of worms."
---Tears and Saints, E. M. Cioran
ToALonelyPeace is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks From:
miguel1984 (03-01-2016)