THE NIGHTMARE NETWORK
Go Back   THE NIGHTMARE NETWORK > Miscellanea > Off Topic > Video Games
Home Forums Content Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Contagion Members Media Diversion Info Register

Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes Translate
Old 06-16-2017   #1
ToALonelyPeace
Grimscribe
Quotes: 0
Points: 20,892, Level: 99 Points: 20,892, Level: 99 Points: 20,892, Level: 99
Level up: 79% Level up: 79% Level up: 79%
Activity: 36% Activity: 36% Activity: 36%
Pathologic

A Russian survival game that will be worthwhile to some Ligottians here.

It's unique due to its aesthetic, text-heavy, Russian mystical plot. It is about surviving in a plague-ridden town and the difficult choices one has to make. As news of the plague spreads, prices fluctuate sometimes to astronomical level and desperation sets in for everyone. Slow, creeping anxiety, desperation, paranoia, and distrust heighten as there is only 24 hr a day and every careless action lowers your chance of survival.

It's infamous for being hard, and that's definitely true The only auto-regenerative stat below is Immunity, for the others you have to consume scarce resources to replete them. Weapons and clothings degrade by a % after each usage and they are expensive to repair/upgrade. Complete cure of infection is extremely rare and antibiotics slow down infection but damage health badly, so the fear of infection is real . There is a bartering economy in which you trade trinkets with children for valuables, but they are fickle.
Fun map of how every choice is damning in the game, but in actuality it's not linear as shown here.

Scenes of the town

I don't want to spoil the story too much, but it is more than about the plague. The fight between the humans and the incomprehensible, the science and the mystical...it conveys each side well.

"So in the end it remains advisable to accept whatever comes, to behave like an inert mass even if one feels oneself being swept away, not to be lured into a single unneccesary step, to regard others with the gaze of an animal, to feel no remorse, in short to crush with one's own hand any ghost of life that subsists, that is, to intensify the final quiet of the grave still further and let nothing beyond that endure." ---Franz Kafka, Resolutions
ToALonelyPeace is offline   Reply With Quote
4 Thanks From:
miguel1984 (06-16-2017), mongoose (06-17-2017), Mr. Veech (06-16-2017), Spiral (06-17-2017)
Old 06-16-2017   #2
In A Dark Light
Mystic
Points: 2,599, Level: 32 Points: 2,599, Level: 32 Points: 2,599, Level: 32
Level up: 99% Level up: 99% Level up: 99%
Re: Pathologic

Yeah, Pathologic has a very Ligottian vibe to it. If any one is wanting to check it out though, it might be worth waiting for the forthcoming remake of the game, which can be sampled by playing the free, standalone, pre-alpha demo, 'Pathologic: The Marble Nest.'

I think the best summation I can think of for Pathologic is that it is one of the most enjoyable forms of not having fun in the history of video games. ;) But then, even Ice Pick Lodge themselves have said that it isn't necessarily meant to be fun to play. It's meant to punish you. In some ways, it feels very much like a video game take on Russian literature.

Also worth mentioning is Ice Pick Lodge's other notable title, 'The Void'. Not so much of the Ligottian atmosphere with that one, but it is one of the most surreal, and in parts beautiful, video games I've ever come across.
In A Dark Light is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Thanks From:
miguel1984 (06-16-2017), ToALonelyPeace (06-17-2017)
Old 06-17-2017   #3
ToALonelyPeace
Grimscribe
Threadstarter
Points: 20,892, Level: 99 Points: 20,892, Level: 99 Points: 20,892, Level: 99
Level up: 79% Level up: 79% Level up: 79%

Quote Originally Posted by In A Dark Light View Post
Yeah, Pathologic has a very Ligottian vibe to it. If any one is wanting to check it out though, it might be worth waiting for the forthcoming remake of the game, which can be sampled by playing the free, standalone, pre-alpha demo, 'Pathologic: The Marble Nest.'

I think the best summation I can think of for Pathologic is that it is one of the most enjoyable forms of not having fun in the history of video games. ;) But then, even Ice Pick Lodge themselves have said that it isn't necessarily meant to be fun to play. It's meant to punish you. In some ways, it feels very much like a video game take on Russian literature.

Also worth mentioning is Ice Pick Lodge's other notable title, 'The Void'. Not so much of the Ligottian atmosphere with that one, but it is one of the most surreal, and in parts beautiful, video games I've ever come across.
I'm glad to meet another Pathologic player here. I've seen Marble Nest videos on youtube but always thought it's an online game. Thanks for telling me about it and I'll check out The Void.

"So in the end it remains advisable to accept whatever comes, to behave like an inert mass even if one feels oneself being swept away, not to be lured into a single unneccesary step, to regard others with the gaze of an animal, to feel no remorse, in short to crush with one's own hand any ghost of life that subsists, that is, to intensify the final quiet of the grave still further and let nothing beyond that endure." ---Franz Kafka, Resolutions
ToALonelyPeace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017   #4
In A Dark Light
Mystic
Points: 2,599, Level: 32 Points: 2,599, Level: 32 Points: 2,599, Level: 32
Level up: 99% Level up: 99% Level up: 99%

Quote Originally Posted by ToALonelyPeace View Post
Quote Originally Posted by In A Dark Light View Post

I'm glad to meet another Pathologic player here. I've seen Marble Nest videos on youtube but always thought it's an online game. Thanks for telling me about it and I'll check out The Void.
You can download Marble Nest for free from steam.

There's actually a really good analysis of 'The Void' available on YouTube. Search 'The Void Ragnar Rox' and see if it whets your appetite any.
In A Dark Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks From:
ToALonelyPeace (06-21-2017)