THE NIGHTMARE NETWORK
Go Back   THE NIGHTMARE NETWORK > Discussion & Interpretation > Ligotti Influences > H. P. Lovecraft
Home Forums Content Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Contagion Members Media Diversion Info Register

Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes Translate
Old 05-22-2014   #11
hopfrog
Grimscribe
Threadstarter
Quotes: 0
Points: 24,268, Level: 100 Points: 24,268, Level: 100 Points: 24,268, Level: 100
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%
Re: The New Annotated H. P. Lovecraft

I no longer have any hope for any edition of H. P. Lovecraft that is error-free. Perhaps the closest we get with HPL's texts is the 2011 edition from Barnes & Noble.

Just as I was typing my newest blog concerning THE NEW ANNOTATED H. P. LOVECRAFT--at the very same cosmic time!--Les was sending me an email saying that he is writing to Norton to have yem send me a copy of ye "arc," so I will have my own personal copy; but I'm still gonna borrow S. T.'s on Sunday cos I cannot wait. Some express a fear that Les will use the playful approach he used with his Holmes edition of pretending that ye stories are factual documents of real-life events. Yes, he is.

"I do expect that my approach is likely to play the Sherlockian 'game' with Lovecraft's stories, which may not please everyone. The 'game' is to adopt the gentle fiction that Lovecraft was recording the truth in his stories, that these are historical documents, and therefore it is my job to verify or correct the historical details. For example, where is Arkham? Kingsport? What can we state factually about the Miskatonic River or Miskatonic University? What evidence is there of the case of Charles Dexter Ward? I hope that this approach will make the book original, enjoyable, but wholly accurate--I never make up any facts."

This makes me frown a wee bit and mutter "hmmmmm...." I don't understand using this approach in what shou'd be a CRITCIAL EDITION of H. P. Lovecraft's stories. And the phrase "correct the historical details" seems rather dubious and fills me with slight alarm. Still, this approach may be entirely LOVECRAFTIAN; for E'ch-Pi-El himself suggested that ye writing of weird fiction shou'd be approach'd as if one were perpetrating a huge HOAX, and one way of accomplishing that is to be as factual as possible except for the one fantastic (supernatural/other-worldly) incident.

Thinking of this forthcoming edition, and of critical editions in general, makes me ponder ye possibility of a critical edition of Tom's work. We now have so many really intelligent students of Ligotti's oeuvre that I think such an edition of his fiction, or the "best" of his fiction, wou'd be a fascinating project. How to approach such a critical/annotated edition of Thomas Ligotti is a matter I cannot personally comprehend, but I feel certain that Tom himself could have a hand in it. Is this an unrealistic fantasy on my part, the longing for such a book?

"We work in the dark -- we do what we can -- we give what we have. Our doubt is our passion and our passion is our task. The rest is the madness of art."
--Henry James (1843-1916)
hopfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
4 Thanks From:
Doctor Dugald Eldritch (01-15-2015), luciferfell (05-22-2014), miguel1984 (01-15-2015), ramonoski (05-22-2014)
Old 05-26-2014   #12
hopfrog
Grimscribe
Threadstarter
Points: 24,268, Level: 100 Points: 24,268, Level: 100 Points: 24,268, Level: 100

I went to S. T.'s Memorial Day Cook-Out last night and was able to borrow his arc of THE NEW ANNOTATED H. P. LOVECRAFT. I have recorded two new vlogs on YouTube shewing ye tome in detail. I am quite impress'd & delighted! Les Klinger's fascinating Foreword is 53 pages in length! Some of the illustrations appear way too small, but they may reproduce better in the actual hardcover edition, which is set for publication in October. I've only just started reading the stories and Notes and I am deeply in love with the book already.

"We work in the dark -- we do what we can -- we give what we have. Our doubt is our passion and our passion is our task. The rest is the madness of art."
4 Thanks From:
luciferfell (05-26-2014), miguel1984 (01-15-2015), MTC (07-18-2014), ramonoski (05-26-2014)
Old 01-15-2015   #13
hopfrog
Grimscribe
Threadstarter

I love the book, and am still working my way through it--reading it slowly so that I can savor this reading experience. The annotations are, for ye moft part, excellent, with but some few instances of confused thoughts and silliness. (The Sherlockian "game" of treating the stories as factual records that need to be investigated for historical facts was not a good idea for this volume.) Les and S. T. had a public discussion/signing of the book, and we three went for dinner afterward, during which Les express'd his enthusiasm for the editing of the book and what he accomplish'd with it, his admiration for HPL shining in his eyes as he spoke. It is remarkable, that he came to the project knowing very little about Lovecraft, and was able to learn so much so quickly. Reviews have been positive, with the only disappointing aspect being that some few anti-Lovecraft critics who cannot see beyond HPL's racism have used the publication of this edition to cry about Lovecraft's faults; and they make themselves ridiculous when they insist on Lovecraft's "faults" as a writer, proving that they are incapable of understanding Lovecraft's texts or his reasons for writing.

2 Thanks From:
Doctor Dugald Eldritch (01-15-2015), miguel1984 (01-15-2015)
Old 02-01-2016   #14
hopfrog
Grimscribe
Threadstarter

Leslie Klinger has annouced that his publisher, Liveright/Norton, has ask'd him to edit a second edition of Lovecraft stories! Tentative title: NEW ANNOTATED H. P. LOVECRAFT: BEYOND THE MYTHOS. With his first volume, Mr Klinger concentrated on stories he felt belonged to Lovecraft's "Arkham and Cthulhu Cycle", so this new volume will contain much of Lovecraft's early non-cosmic work.
YE CONTENTS:
The Tomb
Polaris
Transition of Juan Romero
The Doom that Came to Sarnath
Ex Oblivione
The Terrible Old Man
Facts Concerning the Late Arthur Jermyn and His Family
The Cats of Ulthar
Celephais
The Temple
The Outsider
The Other Gods
The Music of Erich Zann
The Quest of Iranon
The Lurking Fear
The Rats in the Wall
The Shunned House
The Horror at red Hook
He
Cool Air
The Strange High House in the Mist
Pickman's Model
The Dream-Quest of Unknown Kadath.

"Of course, there will be dozens and dozens of photos and illustrations again, with a little help from my friends (again). I'll also be working with my friend S. T. Joshi to use the most accurate text possible, based on his brilliant Variorum edition."

Probably won't be out until late 2017 or early 2018. One can hope that there will be NO TENTACLES on ye jacket of this new volume. Now if only they can convince Thomas Ligotti to write ye Introduction or a wee Foreword....

5 Thanks From:
Dr. Locrian (02-02-2016), Lord Jim (02-04-2016), marioneta (02-03-2016), Michael (11-30-2017), miguel1984 (02-02-2016)
Old 11-29-2017   #15
Spiral
Mystic
Points: 5,481, Level: 50 Points: 5,481, Level: 50 Points: 5,481, Level: 50
Level up: 66% Level up: 66% Level up: 66%

for those that have delved into both editions, how do the annotations in Klinger's book compare to Joshi's annotations on the Penguin books?
Spiral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017   #16
Spiral
Mystic

For those that have delved into both editions, how do the annotations in Klinger's book compare to Joshi's annotations on the Penguin books?
Old 11-29-2017   #17
hopfrog
Grimscribe
Threadstarter

Mr Klinger's notes are entirely his own from his intense and intelligent study of the Lovecraft texts. Gawd, how I love his magnificent edition, which is indeed a celebration of H. P. Lovecraft. I return to it constantly, for edification and entertainment.

2 Thanks From:
miguel1984 (11-30-2017), Spiral (11-29-2017)
Old 11-29-2017   #18
Spiral
Mystic

Quote Originally Posted by hopfrog View Post
Mr Klinger's notes are entirely his own from his intense and intelligent study of the Lovecraft texts. Gawd, how I love his magnificent edition, which is indeed a celebration of H. P. Lovecraft. I return to it constantly, for edification and entertainment.
would you say they are insightful? how would you characterize them?

I enjoyed the Joshi annotations of the stories I've read from his editions
Old 11-30-2017   #19
hopfrog
Grimscribe
Threadstarter

"In this volume, Leslie S. Klinger reanimates Lovecraft with clarity and historical insight, charting the rise of the erstwhile pulp writer, whose rediscovery and reclamation into the literary canon can be compared only to that of Poe or Melville. Weaving together a broad base of existing scholarship with his own original insights, Klinger appends Lovecraft's uncanny oeuvre and Kafkaesque life story in a way that provides context and unlocks many of the secrets of his often cryptic body of work." --Peter Straub, Esq.

Some of the annotations, for me, are too wee and seem slightly insignificant; but for ye moft part they are in-depth and spot-on. I wou'd characterize them as the work of a professional editor who is thoroughly intimate with his source material. The volume is assisted with a slew of wonderful illustrations: drawings, manuscript facsimiles, photos & drawings of the historical sites mention'd in Lovecraft's texts, reproductions of art mention'd in the tales, movie stills from Lovecraftian productions, &c &c. It is, for me, an extraordinary volume, and every time I return to it I am pulled into the fiction as never before. As Peter Straub has commented, "Klinger's remarks open up a breathtaking, authoritative, affectionate vision of this cherished but often misunderstood genius of weird fiction."

Last edited by hopfrog; 11-30-2017 at 07:23 PM..
4 Thanks From:
Ancient History (11-30-2017), miguel1984 (11-30-2017), Spiral (12-01-2017), waffles (11-30-2017)
Old 11-30-2017   #20
Ancient History
Acolyte
Points: 3,528, Level: 39 Points: 3,528, Level: 39 Points: 3,528, Level: 39
Level up: 19% Level up: 19% Level up: 19%

You're more generous than I am, WHP; I've yet to find any of Klinger's new annotations an improvement over the old ones. I've gotten more use out of Alan Moore's introduction to the text.

Ancient History is offline   Reply With Quote