THE NIGHTMARE NETWORK
Go Back   THE NIGHTMARE NETWORK > Discussion & Interpretation > The Repository > Member Interviews
Home Forums Content Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Contagion Members Media Diversion Info Register
Comment

Article Tools Search this Article Display Modes Translate
TLO Member Interview: Nemonymous (2)
Interview conducted by Phillip Stecco
Published by G. S. Carnivals
11-25-2009
Topic Nominated TLO Member Interview: Nemonymous (2)

Conducted by Phillip Stecco

D. F. Lewis is the author of the story collections Weirdmonger and Only Connect (written in collaboration with his father Gordon Lewis). Since 2001, he has edited the...

Tibet: Carnivals?
Ligotti: Ceremonies for initiating children into the cult of the sinister.
Tibet: Gas stations?
Ligotti: Nothing to say about gas stations as such, although I've always responded to the smell of gasoline as if it were a kind of perfume.
20 Thanks From:
By G. S. Carnivals on 12-01-2009
Re: TLO Member Interview: Nemonymous (2)

And then there is The Lust Balcony.
By Nemonymous on 12-02-2009

Quote Originally Posted by Odalisque View Post
I don't see my name amongst the writers you enjoy reading.
Your work is in a different league altogether. Something I enjoy reading & reviewing as it's being written.
Once it's published it'll be in a unique genre, I guess, too. And worthy of anybody's favourite list of book-published writers, without a shadow of doubt.
The list was also mainly regarding those writers I'd read recently for the first time, btw. There is a bigger list of Dunsany, HPL, Proust, Dickens , PF Jeffery etc etc standing outside but not mentioned in my interview
Is my work in your favourite list? ;)

Quote Originally Posted by Bleak&Icy View Post
I have recently acquired a new pair of eyeglasses with a fiendishly updated prescription, and as a result my computer screen seems to be undulating like a magic carpet. Initially I misread the working title of your forthcoming book as The Lost Balcony, not The Last Balcony. I can well imagine a DFL story entitled "The Lost Balcony.";)

Hey, thanks for that wonderful new title.
I intend soon to write a short-short on this very thread entitled THE LOST BALCONY.

Can you see the door to the lost balcony?
Last edited by Nemonymous; 12-02-2009 at 05:12 PM..

TO BE PUBLISHED IN 2012 - 'THE LAST BALCONY' COLLECTION (The InkerMen Press)
Last edited by Nemonymous; 01-29-2012 at 09:30 AM..
By G. S. Carnivals on 12-02-2009

Thank you for both the interview and the story, des!
By Nemonymous on 12-03-2009

Quote Originally Posted by G. S. Carnivals View Post
And then there is The Lust Balcony.
Thanks, GSC.

By Bleak&Icy on 12-03-2009

First of all, thank you, Mr Lewis, for your inimitable thingie--"You see, a lost balcony-view, now using a hyphen to clarify the meaning, was quite different from a view of a lost balcony." (Utterly brilliant! I only wish I had thought of it! )

Here is an odd piece of trivia which I have just now recalled. I first encountered the name Thomas Ligotti back in 1994, when I was a wee lad of 18 years, in my second year at university. Being the anti-social misfit that I was, I preferred to sit in the back row of the lecture theatre, even though I had trouble reading the board. The problem with my eyes worsened as the semester progressed, so I consulted an eye doctor. Next door to the ophthalmology suite was a bookshop, and outside this bookshop was a bin of paperbacks. Being pathologically unable to avoid rummaging through bins of books, I dug in-- despite the evil drops which the doctor had deposited in my eyes. I found a paperback anthology of horror tales entitled Touch wood: Narrow Houses, Volume Two, edited by Pete Crowther. The only names I recognised on the contents page belonged to Neil Gaiman, and Ramsey Campbell, who penned the intro. What I enjoyed most about the book was the generous biographical introduction afforded to each contributor. The final tale in the book--an odd two-page piece entitled "Splints" by one D. F. Lewis--featured the following intro:

"He's been called 'brilliant' and 'the new Lovecraft,' both of which appellations he has survived magnificently. He has been cited as one of the acclaimed Gothic Light journal's four favourite fantasy authors--along with Harlan Ellison, Ray Bradbury and Lewis Carroll. He has been praised by the likes of Ramsey Campbell, Thomas Ligotti and Karl Edward Wagner. And since 1987 he has published more than 500 stories..."

How strange it is that my defective eyesight, which contributed to my discovery of D. F. Lewis, has now resulted in a tale written by the man himself. Strange world.

Last edited by BleakИ 12-03-2009 at 12:49 PM..
By Nemonymous on 12-03-2009

Thanks, B&I, for that anecdote of eyesight in splints.

Meanwhile, here's George's own blurred view of.....

By Daisy on 12-03-2009

To the Last Balcony, the Lost Balcony, and the Lust Balcony I would like to add the Liszt Balcony:

This figure of the Franz Liszt looks down from the balcony of the Bishop’s Palace in Pécs, Hungary. Sculpted by Imre Varga, it is a memorial of the 1846 visit of Liszt to Pécs. According to popular belief, the composer is listening to the tolling of the Cathedral bell for inspiration (for additional information, see http://en.pecs.hu.)

To me, the statue’s arm and hand look armored, as if protected by an exoskeleton; the segmented cape has the appearance of moth-like wings. What is this but “a large insect-creature using the balcony as its lair”?

http://www.ineer.org/ISCMeet/2004-07-03-039.jpg
By Nemonymous on 12-04-2009

Thanks, Daisy, so very much. That Liszt Balcony image has inspired my whole year,
Also the image in your link is equally stunning.
des
Comment