THE NIGHTMARE NETWORK
Go Back   THE NIGHTMARE NETWORK > Discussion & Interpretation > The Repository > Member Interviews
Home Forums Content Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Contagion Members Media Diversion Info Register
Comment

Article Tools Search this Article Display Modes Translate
TLO Member Interview: Nemonymous (2)
Interview conducted by Phillip Stecco
Published by G. S. Carnivals
11-25-2009
Topic Nominated TLO Member Interview: Nemonymous (2)

Conducted by Phillip Stecco

D. F. Lewis is the author of the story collections Weirdmonger and Only Connect (written in collaboration with his father Gordon Lewis). Since 2001, he has edited the...

Tibet: Carnivals?
Ligotti: Ceremonies for initiating children into the cult of the sinister.
Tibet: Gas stations?
Ligotti: Nothing to say about gas stations as such, although I've always responded to the smell of gasoline as if it were a kind of perfume.
20 Thanks From:
By Bleak&Icy on 12-18-2009
Re: TLO Member Interview: Nemonymous (2)

Last night I had a most vivid dream about a man who carried a miniature balcony in the pocket of his trench coat. This diminutive balcony, constructed of wrought iron and ornamented with microscopic curlicues, possessed magical properties, enabling its owner to install a life-size balcony in any location he desired.

Upon waking I tried to recapture the narrative of my dream, but as it sank back down into some hidden pocket of my mind I began to question its authenticity. Was it actually a dream, or had I simply remembered a story about a traveller with a balcony in his pocket? Or had I remembered a future tale written by Nemonymous? The latter option seems most likely.

PS. Is that a balcony in your pocket?
By G. S. Carnivals on 12-18-2009

Quote Originally Posted by Bleak&Icy View Post
"The Lust Balcony" perhaps...
By G. S. Carnivals on 12-18-2009

One might even imagine "Lest the Balcony" as a possible result of permutative writing.
By Nemonymous on 12-19-2009

Or had I remembered a future tale written by Nemonymous? The latter option seems most likely.

Wow! Thanks.
There will of course - one day - be such a story by my friend DF Lewis. Knowing him, he'll probably get me to post it here.
By Nemonymous on 12-22-2009

Quote Originally Posted by Nemonymous View Post
Or had I remembered a future tale written by Nemonymous? The latter option seems most likely.

Wow! Thanks.
There will of course - one day - be such a story by my friend DF Lewis. Knowing him, he'll probably get me to post it here.
Thanks to Bleak & Icy;

A Balcony In My Pocket

I couldn’t get into the city very easily because of all the road-blocks. I needed to try out my trick and I could only do that in the city rather than in the curlew-song fields beyond which I never previously knew.

I transported a miniature balcony in the pocket of my cold-weather coat rather than in any other lesser coat as some people I knew said it was always cold in the city.

It was a city I had never seen but whereof, if I wrote my life story, I would have to use as the name of my birthplace it being so close to the nameless place I was really born in and still lived near. Nearer than the city.

It was written in a book that I found in an otherwise empty desk in the derelict school I attended as a child that one day a “diminutive balcony, constructed of wrought iron and ornamented with microscopic curlicues” would feature in my life. Why my life? The book didn’t use my name at all in what I read but I felt it was writing to me.

When the day came I recognised the balcony for what it was and I then recalled other words that were written, i.e. that it would “possess magical properties enabling its owner to install a life-size balcony in any location he desired”.

I originally found this little thing in a water-butt after I broke what turned out to be a surprisingly thin veneer of what I thought to be solid ice and found nothing underneath but empty air except the toy balcony at the bottom of the butt.

Later when it was too hot even to breathe, I decided to travel to the city where it was said to be cold. And I put the tiny balcony in my cold-weather coat ready for wearing when I drew nearer to the city.

Upon hot evenings in confined city rooms, there was nothing like cooling off on a balcony. You see, I never really believed it was cold in the city. That was just a quirk of concocted reality created to confuse a simple person like me and to divert my ambitions.

My spectacles are a sort of balcony on my nose. I stand out there hoping that the balcony in my pocket is just another device to underpin a humble soul like mine and its view of the world.

The road blocks were there, apparently, because of terrorist rumours. They took one look at the erection in my trousers and shot me through the head without even thinking first. I had by then lost the coat.

Later, in a sort of dream, I managed to climb spiderwise a very tall building in the city and precariously hung the tiny balcony from between the wooden slats of a closed window-shutter before I fell to the ground.

Curlew-song in my ears.

=========================================

(much later edited to make legible in red)
Last edited by Nemonymous; 01-14-2010 at 07:34 PM..
Comment