THE NIGHTMARE NETWORK
Go Back   THE NIGHTMARE NETWORK > Discussion & Interpretation > Other Authors > General Discussion
Home Forums Content Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Contagion Members Media Diversion Info Register

Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes Translate
Old 07-18-2010   #1
Allyson
Acolyte
Quotes: 0
Points: 4,851, Level: 47 Points: 4,851, Level: 47 Points: 4,851, Level: 47
Level up: 51% Level up: 51% Level up: 51%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Send a message via AIM to Allyson
Never Again Anthology...

Never Again is an attempt to voice the collective revulsion of writers in the weird fiction genre against political attitudes that stifle compassion and deny our collective human inheritance. The imagination is crucial to an understanding both of human diversity and of common ground. Weird fiction is often stigmatised as a reactionary and ignorant genre - we know better. The anthology will be published by Gray Friar Press in September 2010, and edited by Allyson Bird and Joel Lane.

News of this new project can be found here.

http://grayfriarpress.com/catalogue/neveragain.html
Allyson is offline   Reply With Quote
9 Thanks From:
Andrea Bonazzi (07-19-2010), Freyasfire (07-18-2010), G. S. Carnivals (07-18-2010), hopfrog (07-20-2010), Joe Pulver (07-18-2010), Sam (07-19-2010), Soukesian (07-18-2010), Spotbowserfido2 (07-18-2010), The New Nonsense (07-20-2010)
Old 07-18-2010   #2
Freyasfire
Grimscribe
Points: 14,119, Level: 81 Points: 14,119, Level: 81 Points: 14,119, Level: 81
Level up: 92% Level up: 92% Level up: 92%
Re: Never Again Anthology...

There are some great writers in this anthology, and the premise of the theme is a worthy one. Thanks for bringing this to our attention, Allyson!
Freyasfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010   #3
Allyson
Acolyte
Threadstarter

You are very welcome
Old 07-18-2010   #4
Joe Pulver
Grimscribe
Points: 19,264, Level: 95 Points: 19,264, Level: 95 Points: 19,264, Level: 95
Level up: 91% Level up: 91% Level up: 91%
Activity: 30% Activity: 30% Activity: 30%

Looking forward to this! !!

"He who hides his madman, dies voiceless."
-- Henri Michaux
Joe Pulver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010   #5
Allyson
Acolyte
Threadstarter

Great to hear that, Joe.

I've read through the anthology quite a few times now and each time I'm struck by just how powerful the stories are.
Old 07-20-2010   #6
Mamatas
Acolyte
Points: 6,010, Level: 53 Points: 6,010, Level: 53 Points: 6,010, Level: 53
Level up: 30% Level up: 30% Level up: 30%
Send a message via AIM to Mamatas

There are some writers in the table of contents with whom I am not familiar. Are any of them "people of color" as they say? If not, it's a bit odd to me to have a white-only anthology "against racism."
Mamatas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010   #7
Joel
Chymist
Points: 5,612, Level: 51 Points: 5,612, Level: 51 Points: 5,612, Level: 51
Level up: 31% Level up: 31% Level up: 31%

Hi Nick.

Fair question – but we are focusing on UK writers in the weird fiction genre, with only a couple of well-known US writers whom we asked for reprints, and one Australian writer whom Ally happened to be in touch with. There are relatively few non-white writers of horror or supernatural fiction in the UK, and it happened that none of the writers whom we targeted on account of their fiction were non-white. Would you have preferred us to target and include writers on the basis of their skin colour, not their writing? I think that anything from two to five of the contributors may well be Jewish, but their work was not selected for that reason.

In the USA, it would be a different story. Also, had we targeted black, Asian and Oriental cultural organisations in the UK to ask for stories on these themes, the book would have been very different – and someone else might do that. We were working within the weird fiction subculture in the UK. Ours is not a definitive book and we'd be more than happy to see others that approached the themes differently. We would, however, ask any critic to read the book we have put together before deciding that we have failed to produce something worthwhile in literary terms.
Joel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010   #8
Mamatas
Acolyte
Points: 6,010, Level: 53 Points: 6,010, Level: 53 Points: 6,010, Level: 53
Level up: 30% Level up: 30% Level up: 30%
Send a message via AIM to Mamatas

Quote Originally Posted by Joel View Post
Hi Nick.
There are relatively few non-white writers of horror or supernatural fiction in the UK, and it happened that none of the writers whom we targeted on account of their fiction were non-white. Would you have preferred us to target and include writers on the basis of their skin colour, not their writing?
Well, Joel, I suppose I'd point out that those aren't the only choices one has when editing an anthology. Either writing or color is hardly a choice one need make because there are plenty of excellent writers of color, both famed and obscure. The UK seems to me to have a large number of wonderful writers of color—Zadie Smith, Monica Ali, Nadeem Aslam, etc. Helen Oyeyemi has even written a gothic already.

I do understand that the UK demographics are different than US demographics, but I wonder why, for example, the one American was Joe Lansdale and not, say, Tananarive Due. Another possibility would be Nalo Hopkinson—Jamaican-born and currently living in Canada, she has a particular connection to the UK via the Commonwealth.

Also, had we targeted black, Asian and Oriental cultural organisations in the UK to ask for stories on these themes, the book would have been very different
Sounds like that would have been a good idea to me. It would be interesting to see who could write weird fiction amongst those who aren't ordinarily invited to do so.

We would, however, ask any critic to read the book we have put together before deciding that we have failed to produce something worthwhile in literary terms.
One supposes that the same request could be made of you. You're a political sort, Joel. I'm sure you understand that community outreach is important. Is it so that there are so few writers of color of weird fiction in the UK that none were worth soliciting? Well, there are solutions to that. I hinted at a couple already and here's another possibility: open submissions to writers in general for a few weeks, with a couple months advance notice. Then you would have the opportunity to read the work of writers (of all colors) not already in your Rolodex rather than discounting the quality of their work in the first instance. Perhaps then the book would have been a more obviously complete statement, from the first page—the table of contents—on in.
Mamatas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010   #9
Joel
Chymist
Points: 5,612, Level: 51 Points: 5,612, Level: 51 Points: 5,612, Level: 51
Level up: 31% Level up: 31% Level up: 31%

Hi Nick.

I won't argue with any of that. We stayed within the UK weird fiction (and mostly small press) subculture. We're proud of the book we've put together, but other approaches would have been perfectly viable and certainly different. Feel free to pursue your own take on the theme: we don't own it. Politically our perspective is pluralistic – there's no single 'correct' strand of analysis, rather a constellation of healthy approaches in which we hope to occupy our own place.

Best wishes,

Joel
Joel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010   #10
Nemonymous
Grimscribe
Points: 74,703, Level: 100 Points: 74,703, Level: 100 Points: 74,703, Level: 100
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Activity: 60% Activity: 60% Activity: 60%

The forthcoming charity anthology NEVER AGAIN (edited by Allyson Bird & Joel Lane) has this on its sales page:-

“Never Again is an attempt to voice the collective revulsion of writers in the weird fiction genre against political attitudes that stifle compassion and deny our collective human inheritance. The imagination is crucial to an understanding both of human diversity and of common ground. Weird fiction is often stigmatised as a reactionary and ignorant genre – we know better.”

The weird fiction genre is specifically mentioned. Can anyone ‘describe’ this genre?

Most of the writers in the book seem to be Horror writers.

This is relevant perhaps to my WEIRD LITERATURE question here on my blog (forgive this connection): http://nullimmortalis.wordpress.com/...represents-it/

NB: Never Again – Gray Friar Press: http://www.grayfriarpress.com/catalogue/neveragain.html

MY WEBSITE: www.nemonymous.com
Nemonymous is offline   Reply With Quote