THE NIGHTMARE NETWORK
Go Back   THE NIGHTMARE NETWORK > Discussion & Interpretation > The Repository > Online Literature > Collaborative Fiction
Home Forums Content Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Contagion Members Media Diversion Info Register

Article Tools Search this Article Display Modes Translate

Exquisite Corpse

From "Dada & Surrealist Art," by William S. Rubin:

Among Surrealist techniques exploiting the mystique of accident was a kind of collective collage of words or images called the cadavre exquis (exquisite corpse). Based on an old parlor game, it was played by several people, each of whom would write a phrase on a sheet of paper, fold the paper to conceal part of it, and pass it on to the next player for his contribution.

The technique got its name from results obtained in initial playing, "Le cadavre / exquis / boira / le vin / nouveau" (The exquisite corpse will drink the young wine). Other examples are: "The dormitory of friable little girls puts the odious box right" and "The Senegal oyster will eat the tricolor bread." These poetic fragments were felt to reveal what Nicolas Calas characterized as the "unconscious reality in the personality of the group" resulting from a process of what Ernst called "mental contagion."

So?

Take turns writing three sentences at a time to continue an ongoing narrative - creative punctuation will allow you to push this rule while toeing the line; but keep it fair.

Each story concludes after Thirty-Three posts. Post to follow completion of "piece" should begin with a new scene, a new character, and a new motivation.

No style or direction is off limits but be considerate of site rules, peoples feeling &c.

Label each new entry with it's work number "Exquisite Corpse I" and position within current narrative eg. 17/33

Use a different font to the previous post to reinforce the different voices in the choir. Go easy on the Comic Sans.

No double posts. A contributor can only add a new section once three other contributors have had a turn.

Utilize the chatbox to avoid log jamming ideas. An "I'm next at EC" will do

Break a leg!

Exquisite Corpse I 1/33

The Chinese junk bobbed on the water off the bay of San Francisco, the paper lanterns nailed to it's cabin reflecting on the black water as spindly golden needles back to the shore. From beneath the pier Gillot watched, absently scratching his arm. He never liked the water - only swam if he had to - but he had to get back what was his.

Equisite Corpse I 2/22

He had been subsisting off rats and carrion down below, in the city's sewers for far too long. His papery pale skin showed blue veins, tenuous, fragile, like ropy tripe under the surface. He feared the heat of the sun now too, and pondered on how he was going to reach his destination in such a state.

Exquisite Corpse| 3/33

Exquisite Corpse| 4/33

Sausage fingers, briny, practically translucent in bobbing moon/lantern light, sought purchase on the moist, grimy, decaying hull of the junk. Was it derelict, Gillot wondered, and, if so, would he never see the amulet--his birthright--again? Small flies he noticed, hoisting himself, with due stealth, over the edge and into the vessel, flitted somnambulistically about the torn lanterns in multitudes, as though enacting some arduous, Sisyphean, yet half-asleep, game to which only their living hive-mind knew the rules.

Created by RaleC, 10-25-2012 at 03:00 AM
Last edited by njhorror, 06-27-2013 at 11:55 AM
4 Comments , 2283 Views
Old 06-21-2013   #2
chris_stibrany
Mannikin
Quotes: 0
Points: 3,836, Level: 41 Points: 3,836, Level: 41 Points: 3,836, Level: 41
Level up: 24% Level up: 24% Level up: 24%
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%
Re: Exquisite Corpse

I'm not sure if I was supposed to add my part in a reply, or an edit. So I put it in an edit above. Maybe we can clarify and I hope we get this rolling! There are a lot of writers here I can smell them!
chris_stibrany is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks From:
njhorror (06-21-2013)
Old 06-21-2013   #3
njhorror
Grimscribe
Points: 24,084, Level: 100 Points: 24,084, Level: 100 Points: 24,084, Level: 100
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Activity: 50% Activity: 50% Activity: 50%

3/33 Looks like fun to me.

Lucian pigeon-holed the letter solemnly in the receptacle lettered 'Barbarians.' ~ The Hill of Dreams by Arthur Machen

“The wallpaper and I are fighting a duel to the death. One or the other of us has to go.” – Oscar Wilde
njhorror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013   #4
Murony_Pyre
Chymist
Points: 14,827, Level: 83 Points: 14,827, Level: 83 Points: 14,827, Level: 83
Level up: 94% Level up: 94% Level up: 94%
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%

Such evocative stuff, fellas. How could a guy not want to contribute?
Murony_Pyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks From:
njhorror (06-22-2013)
Old 06-22-2013   #5
njhorror
Grimscribe
Points: 24,084, Level: 100 Points: 24,084, Level: 100 Points: 24,084, Level: 100
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Activity: 50% Activity: 50% Activity: 50%

If the foo ####s...

Lucian pigeon-holed the letter solemnly in the receptacle lettered 'Barbarians.' ~ The Hill of Dreams by Arthur Machen

“The wallpaper and I are fighting a duel to the death. One or the other of us has to go.” – Oscar Wilde

Last edited by njhorror; 06-27-2013 at 11:57 AM..
njhorror is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks From:
Murony_Pyre (06-22-2013)