THE NIGHTMARE NETWORK
Go Back   THE NIGHTMARE NETWORK > Discussion & Interpretation > Thomas Ligotti > General Discussion
Home Forums Content Contagion Members Media Diversion Info Register

Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes Translate
Old 06-13-2009   #1
nomis
Grimscribe
Quotes: 0
Points: 37,682, Level: 100 Points: 37,682, Level: 100 Points: 37,682, Level: 100
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Topic Nominated Ligotti and Aickman

Joel Lane says on another thread...

"Interestingly, Ligotti is (or has been) an Aickman sceptic: he describes Aickman's work as "a closetful of cliches" hidden behind a contrived difficulty of reading. If it weren't for that, one could draw parallels between the two writers as creators of allegorical weird tales – 'The Bungalow House', for example, strikes me as quite Aickmanesque. Perhaps it's worth doing regardless. "

To which I say: Yes, please. Let's draw the parallels. Or am I right in thinking many here have not read Robert Aickman's work?

Simon Strantzas

http://www.strantzas.com

Last edited by nomis; 06-13-2009 at 08:26 AM..
nomis is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Thanks From:
Doctor Dugald Eldritch (12-07-2014), yellowish haze (06-13-2009)
Old 06-13-2009   #2
MadsPLP
Grimscribe
Points: 61,944, Level: 100 Points: 61,944, Level: 100 Points: 61,944, Level: 100
Activity: 50% Activity: 50% Activity: 50%
Send a message via MSN to MadsPLP
Re: Ligotti and Aickman

A quote from David Tibet's interview with Ligotti in AKLO:

Tibet: Robert Aickman?

Ligotti: A writer that many people assume that I like because his "strange stories" are so obscure. They are indeed.
It's always struck me as odd that Ligotti doesn't like Aickman, because I think have a profound pessimism in common. Maybe it's because Aickman's stories were more interested in their characters and their emotions, but that is only a very half-baked theory.
MadsPLP is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Thanks From:
Old 06-13-2009   #3
qcrisp
Grimscribe
Points: 125,854, Level: 100 Points: 125,854, Level: 100 Points: 125,854, Level: 100
Activity: 25% Activity: 25% Activity: 25%

Aickman is the best writer of strange/weird/supernatural whatever-you-want-to-call-them stories I have EVER read. Bar none.

I was intending to write something about this on my own blog, but I might venture something here. The Lovecraft test for the merit of a strange tale is the point of eldritch freaky weirdness it reaches at its least mundane point. Judged by such a criterion, I would say that Aickman is not the best writer of weird tales. Some of his works - such as 'The Hostel' - would still be candidates to be amongst the best of this kind of work, but there are clearly others who are better at the concentrated spine-tingle, etc.

Lovecraft's criterion is a useful one, I think, as it cuts through a lot of anti-genre snobbery. However, it also reinforces in-genre snobbery by encouraging one to focus only on one very narrow aspect of writing. Aickman's writing has far more than the narrow aspect of the spine tingle to recommend it.

In conclusion, I might say something like, while Aickman is not the best weird fiction writer ever, he's the best writer ever to work in weird fiction. (I realise I've slightly contradicted my opening sentence here. As far as I have favourites, though, and as far as I recognise and care about piffling genre distinctions, I'd still say that Robert Aickman is my favourite writer of weird fiction.)

Absolutely candid, carefree, but straightforward speech becomes possible for the first time when one speaks of the highest." - Friedrich Schlegel
qcrisp is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Thanks From:
Old 06-13-2009   #4
Nemonymous
Grimscribe
Points: 275,132, Level: 100 Points: 275,132, Level: 100 Points: 275,132, Level: 100
Activity: 99% Activity: 99% Activity: 99%

For many years, Robert Aickman has been one of my four favourite fiction writers (with Elizabeth Bowen, Marcel Proust and Thomas Ligotti).
His stories, for me, are not Weird in the sense of the Weird tradition but Strange/Absurd and I think Aickman has far more in common with Ligotti than he does with, say, Machen or MR James or Blackwood.
It is is pointless to fathom one writer's assumed view of another writer, but to compare the works as pure texts and then release any specific genre / authorial shackles from any consideration of them. Chasing the noumenon of each canon of works. Immersing oneself in them without any didactic follow-through. My above four favourite writers are (were), of course, separate people, but their works can work better when morphed together in the mind. Aickman (for me) is one of the four cornerstones of the plinth - and other writers' texts contribute their own 'forms' to the gestalt sculpture (for all of us) eventually on that plinth.

Last edited by Nemonymous; 06-13-2009 at 08:00 AM..
Nemonymous is offline   Reply With Quote
5 Thanks From:
Doctor Dugald Eldritch (12-07-2014), G. S. Carnivals (06-13-2009), Spotbowserfido2 (06-14-2009), starrysothoth (06-13-2009), yellowish haze (06-13-2009)
Old 06-13-2009   #5
Ascrobius
Our Temporary Supervisor
Points: 31,273, Level: 100 Points: 31,273, Level: 100 Points: 31,273, Level: 100
Activity: 25% Activity: 25% Activity: 25%

I've had discussions with Tom about Aickman before, and I always knew that Tom was generally not a huge fan of RA's work, though do I consider myself to be a fan of Aickman's writing in a minor sense of the word. In the upcoming Weird Tales interview, Tom was asked a questioned that was related to "blackness" and "the crumminess of existence" that inspired a reply in which Aickman and many other authors are mentioned. While I wish I could give the exact quote from the interview, I don't believe the issue has been released yet so I really can't, but read it when it's out and you'll see Tom's discussion of "vulgarity versus urbanity", if you will. It's toward the end of the interview and it sheds at least a little light on his feelings regarding the writings of Robert Aickman and others.
Tim

I tell you everything that is really nothing, and nothing of what is everything, do not be fooled by what I am saying. Please listen carefully and try to hear what I am not saying. ~Charles C. Finn
Ascrobius is offline   Reply With Quote
5 Thanks From:
Doctor Dugald Eldritch (12-07-2014), G. S. Carnivals (06-13-2009), Spotbowserfido2 (06-14-2009), starrysothoth (06-14-2009), yellowish haze (06-13-2009)
Old 06-13-2009   #6
Soukesian
Mystic
Points: 12,433, Level: 77 Points: 12,433, Level: 77 Points: 12,433, Level: 77
Level up: 10% Level up: 10% Level up: 10%

I'm sure I've read that Aickman derived his stories from dreams, or fantasies recalled from half-sleep. This would certainly account for their enigmatic detail and dreamlike flow.

Although Ligotti's work does contain enigmatic and very personal elements, his stories seem to me to be much more consciously crafted - it's easier to say what they are about and how they resolve - and that's the key difference.

Not taking away from either writer, though - I think they're both great. But I can see why fans of one might not get on with another.
Soukesian is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Thanks From:
Old 06-13-2009   #7
Soukesian
Mystic
Points: 12,433, Level: 77 Points: 12,433, Level: 77 Points: 12,433, Level: 77
Level up: 10% Level up: 10% Level up: 10%

In terms of parallels, on the other hand, I'd say they definitely do share a bleak view of the world, though I think Aickman is reacting against decadent modernity, rather than the human condition as a whole.
Soukesian is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Thanks From:
Old 06-13-2009   #8
Mamatas
Acolyte
Points: 8,360, Level: 63 Points: 8,360, Level: 63 Points: 8,360, Level: 63
Level up: 70% Level up: 70% Level up: 70%
Send a message via AIM to Mamatas

Aickman seems more awash in nostalgia (in a way, closer to Lovecraft) than in bleak view of existence. Say, The Model for example.
Mamatas is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Thanks From:
Doctor Dugald Eldritch (12-07-2014), Soukesian (06-14-2009)
Old 06-13-2009   #9
Julian Karswell
Quotes:

Quote Originally Posted by qcrisp View Post
Aickman is the best writer of strange/weird/supernatural whatever-you-want-to-call-them stories I have EVER read. Bar none.

I was intending to write something about this on my own blog, but I might venture something here. The Lovecraft test for the merit of a strange tale is the point of eldritch freaky weirdness it reaches at its least mundane point. Judged by such a criterion, I would say that Aickman is not the best writer of weird tales. Some of his works - such as 'The Hostel' - would still be candidates to be amongst the best of this kind of work, but there are clearly others who are better at the concentrated spine-tingle, etc.

Lovecraft's criterion is a useful one, I think, as it cuts through a lot of anti-genre snobbery. However, it also reinforces in-genre snobbery by encouraging one to focus only on one very narrow aspect of writing. Aickman's writing has far more than the narrow aspect of the spine tingle to recommend it.

In conclusion, I might say something like, while Aickman is not the best weird fiction writer ever, he's the best writer ever to work in weird fiction. (I realise I've slightly contradicted my opening sentence here. As far as I have favourites, though, and as far as I recognise and care about piffling genre distinctions, I'd still say that Robert Aickman is my favourite writer of weird fiction.)
[Sotto voce.]

Psst! You said 'The Hostel'. I think you meant 'The Hospice'.

JK
Old 06-13-2009   #10
Julian Karswell
Quotes:

Quote Originally Posted by Soukesian View Post
In terms of parallels, on the other hand, I'd say they definitely do share a bleak view of the world, though I think Aickman is reacting against decadent modernity, rather than the human condition as a whole.
'The Stains' is pretty damn misanthropic and miserablist. It's nihilistic to the nth degree.