Old 01-27-2012   #1
Xiabei
Mannikin
Quotes: 0
Points: 2,035, Level: 28 Points: 2,035, Level: 28 Points: 2,035, Level: 28
Level up: 35% Level up: 35% Level up: 35%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
"H.P. Lovecraft's Collection"

Having recently gotten a Nook, I wanted to purchase something (I usually download books from the library). I also wanted something cheap, simply to try out how it works, and I came upon the "H.P. Lovecraft's Collection" at B&N.

Ninety-nine cents (plus tax) for 58 of Lovecraft's stories! Over 1400 pages! Can't beat that.
Xiabei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012   #2
hopfrog
Grimscribe
Points: 26,505, Level: 100 Points: 26,505, Level: 100 Points: 26,505, Level: 100
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Re: "H.P. Lovecraft's Collection"

I don't have Kindle or Nook, but I am very curious about the text of this ebook version of the Barnes & Noble edition of Lovecraft. The initial edition of the book was filled with hundreds of typographical errors that crept into the texts due to lack of proofing. The book had a second Corrected edition published last year. But I'm wondering if the text in the electric edition is the one marred by typos or the Corrected texts. It's a GREAT collection of Lovecraft's fiction and includes some few rather rare items.

"We work in the dark -- we do what we can -- we give what we have. Our doubt is our passion and our passion is our task. The rest is the madness of art."
--Henry James (1843-1916)
hopfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012   #3
NealJansons
Acolyte
Points: 2,536, Level: 32 Points: 2,536, Level: 32 Points: 2,536, Level: 32
Level up: 58% Level up: 58% Level up: 58%

Actually, you can beat that. CthulhuChick put together the complete works and, since they are in the public domain, gives it away for free in your choice of formats. Good quality, too; she went at as a labor of love.

Free Complete Works of H.P. Lovecraft for Nook and Kindle Cthulhu Chick
NealJansons is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Thanks From:
dr. locrian (02-02-2012), hopfrog (02-01-2012)
Old 02-01-2012   #4
NealJansons
Acolyte

Oh, and hiya Willum!
Old 02-01-2012   #5
hopfrog
Grimscribe
Points: 26,505, Level: 100 Points: 26,505, Level: 100 Points: 26,505, Level: 100

Quote Originally Posted by NealJansons View Post
Oh, and hiya Willum!
Hey, buddy--welcome to this amazing forum!

"We work in the dark -- we do what we can -- we give what we have. Our doubt is our passion and our passion is our task. The rest is the madness of art."
Old 02-01-2012   #6
NealJansons
Acolyte

Quote Originally Posted by hopfrog View Post
Quote Originally Posted by NealJansons View Post
Oh, and hiya Willum!
Hey, buddy--welcome to this amazing forum!
I've known about it for a while. I was just in a bad place and not wanting to be social too much. Been coming out of it over the last couple of months and feeling like reading, writing, and interacting again.

Hope you're feeling better.
Old 02-02-2012   #7
dr. locrian
Town Manager
Quotes: 2
Points: 150,166, Level: 100 Points: 150,166, Level: 100 Points: 150,166, Level: 100
Activity: 50% Activity: 50% Activity: 50%

I'll second those sentiments from Neal, Willum. I have been out of commission for awhile too (cyber-speaking), but I'm coming out of my shell again. I've been really enjoying and admiring your stories recently too. I, too, hope you're feeling better of late.

Neal, thanks so much for that link. About a year ago, I started rereading HPL's stories, essays, etc. This will help fill in the gaps methinks. Now I want to reread all of his extant letters. Those brilliant missives changed my life as much or even more than his fiction did when I first was exposed to them as a teenager.

"Thomas Ligotti is a master of a different order, practically a different species. He probably couldn’t fake it if he tried, and he never tries. He writes like horror incarnate.”
—Terrence Rafferty, New York Times Book Review
dr. locrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012   #8
hopfrog
Grimscribe

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Locrian View Post
I'll second those sentiments from Neal, Willum. I have been out of commission for awhile too (cyber-speaking), but I'm coming out of my shell again. I've been really enjoying and admiring your stories recently too. I, too, hope you're feeling better of late.

Neal, thanks so much for that link. About a year ago, I started rereading HPL's stories, essays, etc. This will help fill in the gaps methinks. Now I want to reread all of his extant letters. Those brilliant missives changed my life as much or even more than his fiction did when I first was exposed to them as a teenager.
Thank you, my friend. I think the only way I'll feel completely better is if I am able to return to full-time writing--just ain't there yet; but reading Lovecraft and Shakespeare and Ligotti is the tonic that gives me the emotional/psychological chemistry that I need to at least ache to be creative. Reading Tom's new book from Centipede Press, that gorgeous fabulous book!, fills me with such emotion that my brain and fingers twitch so as to get to work and feel the magick that only creativity can supply. And this book of Lovecraft's Complete fiction (being the stories that he wrote on his own; ye only collaboration is that very curious tale, "Through the Gates of the Silver Key") is such a great single edition of Lovecraft's tales; & it includes some rare items such as "History of the Necronomicon" and the discarded draft of "The Shadow over Innsmouth." Editor Joshi has prefaced each and every story with a wee note concerning the writing of the tale, and the stories are presented in chronological order so that we can see Lovecraft's growth as an author. The initial first edition of the book is to be avoided as it wasn't proofed and hundreds of errors crept into ye texts; it has gold-edged pages and a gold book ribbon. The new Corrected edition, published last year, has silver-gilt on the page edges and a purple book ribbon, and it is indeed the single finest edition of Lovecraft's fiction now available. It's a large book but not bulky, and I return to it again and again.

S. T. and Derrick at Hippocampus continue their project of bringing ALL of H. P. Lovecraft's letters into print. Just publish'd is LETTERS TO JAMES F. MORTON, co-edited with David E. Schultz and available as trade pb. It is an important and delightful assembly of letters. The book includes the following items as Appendix:

LOVECRAFT AND MORTON
"Conservatism" Gone Wrong
The Isaacsonio-Mortoniad
Save the Old Brick Row
[Christmas Greetings to James F. Morton]

CORRESPONDENCE WITH WILLIAM L. BRYANT

WRITINGS BY JAMES F. MORTON
Fragments of a Mental Autobiography
My Intellectual Evolution
A Few Memories

WRITINGS ABOUT JAMES F. MORTON
[James F. Morton in Who's Who]
Memorial of James F. Morton, by O. Ivan Lee
James Ferdinand Morton, Jr., by Edward H. Cole
Mortonius, by E. Hoffmann Price
Comments on Mr. Price's Article, by Pearl K. Morton
Jim Morton, by W. Paul Cook
James Morton, by Rheinhart Kleiner

Lovecraft's letters do indeed cast their own spell and really reveal the man--his agonies & ecstasies, his brilliance and ignorance, his humor and his serious approach to Literary Art. It wasn't until I read the SELECTED LETTERS in the early 1970's, when I first became interested in HPL, that I became an obsessed Lovecraft fanboy. I am that fanboy still, thank Yuggoth. Hippocampus Press is hoping to bring out the combined correspondence of H. P. Lovecraft and Clark Ashton Smith this year in two hardcover volumes, and those volumes will sell out instantly, so once they are announced those interested will want to order them without hesitation.

Another major contribution from Hippocampus Press are their books of Lovecraft studies. My favorite Lovecraft scholar is the fantastic Robert H. Waugh, and his just-published A MONSTER OF VOICES: SPEAKING FOR H. P. LOVECRAFT, is intoxicating. Here is ye book's Contents:
INTRODUCTION
FUTURE SORTIES
The Blasted Heath in "The Colour out of Space"
Lovecraft and Lawrence on the Hidden Gods
"The Rats in the Walls," The Rats in the Trenches
The Hounds of Hell, the Hounds of Heaven, and the Hounds of Earth
The Ecstasies of "The Thing on the Doorstep," "Medusa's Coil," and Other Erotic Studies
FREE RANGE
Bloch and Leiber: the Siblings at War with Lovecraft, the Compound Ghost
The Weird Historical Novel: Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell, The Case of Charles Dexter Ward, and Other Historical Volumes
"Hey Yew, Why Don't Ye Say Somethin'?" Lovecraft's Dramatic Monologues
The Surreal and the Organic Imaginations: Lewis, Tolkien, and Lovecraft
"An Exquisitely Low and Infinitely Distant Musical Note": German Romantic Opera and Lovecraft's Aesthetic and Practice
FILIATIONS AND AFFINITIES
Lovecraft, A Citizen of Rome
Lovecraft Speaks French, in a Manner of Speaking
Lovecraft and O'Neill: The New England Haunts

The book is an AMAZING study, clever, insightful, astounding, hypnotic, and it has that same devotion to intelligence and Literary Art that makes TLO the finest forum online.

2 Thanks From:
G. S. Carnivals (02-02-2012), Spotbowserfido2 (02-02-2012)
Old 02-02-2012   #9
Michael
Grimscribe
Points: 33,062, Level: 100 Points: 33,062, Level: 100 Points: 33,062, Level: 100
Activity: 50% Activity: 50% Activity: 50%

Does anyone have an ISBN or picture of the "corrected" HPL Barnes and Nobles book? I have the one that says "HP Lovecraft: The Complete Fiction". It's a purplish cover, but it has gold gilt edge and gold ribbon. Those were the only editions I found at the Barnes and Nobles where I live near. I haven't been able to find anything about exactly what the book looks like, the ISBN, and where the typos would be if I have the uncorrected edition. Anyone able to help?
Michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012   #10
hopfrog
Grimscribe

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
Does anyone have an ISBN or picture of the "corrected" HPL Barnes and Nobles book? I have the one that says "HP Lovecraft: The Complete Fiction". It's a purplish cover, but it has gold gilt edge and gold ribbon. Those were the only editions I found at the Barnes and Nobles where I live near. I haven't been able to find anything about exactly what the book looks like, the ISBN, and where the typos would be if I have the uncorrected edition. Anyone able to help?
For the Corrected Edition of 2011 the ISBN is 978-1-4351-2296-3.
On the Copyright page, at the top and in italics, it says:
The publisher would like to thank Martin Andersson for his help in the preparation of the texts for this edition.

The finest H. P. Lovecraft site is THE H. P. LOVECRAFT ARCHIVE, and they provide a link in which all of the hundreds of Martin's corrections are listed at

H.P. Lovecraft: The Complete Fiction

Thanks From:
Michael (02-03-2012)