THE NIGHTMARE NETWORK
Go Back   THE NIGHTMARE NETWORK > Discussion & Interpretation > Ligotti Influences > Charles Baudelaire
Home Forums Content Contagion Members Media Diversion Info Register

Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes Translate
Old 11-16-2007   #1
paeng
Grimscribe
Quotes: 0
Points: 50,804, Level: 100 Points: 50,804, Level: 100 Points: 50,804, Level: 100
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Activity: 99% Activity: 99% Activity: 99%
Send a message via ICQ to paeng Send a message via AIM to paeng Send a message via MSN to paeng Send a message via Yahoo to paeng
On Baudelaire and Others

I heard about Baudelaire's poem when I was watching the film The Picture of Dorian Gray (1945). In the beginning of the film George Sanders' character Lord Henry Wotton is inside a carriage reading Baudelaire's poem, and then tosses the book to the driver as he enters a friend's home. Surely a connection is being made between Wilde's story and the poem, if not between the two, the idea of decadence and evil, and even a quote from the Rubaiyyat which is given in the film.

Feel free to share any thoughts about these points, especially the idea of decadence and evil.
paeng is offline   Reply With Quote
3 Thanks From:
Cyril Tourneur (12-23-2008), Daisy (12-23-2008), hopfrog (12-23-2008)
Old 12-23-2008   #2
hopfrog
Grimscribe
Points: 26,505, Level: 100 Points: 26,505, Level: 100 Points: 26,505, Level: 100
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Re: On Baudelaire and Others

There are many theories as to what exactly is the book that "poisons" Dorian. The usual answer is La Bas, and Wilde, in his trial, hinted that Joris-Karl Huysmans was his inspiration for the passages of catalogs of jewels and such that figure in Dorian Gray. But Wilde also said, in his trial, that the actual book he had in mind was one of the many books he had yet to write. That film is fantastic. I watched it recently, as I'm writing an introduction to Wilde's novel for a handsome hardcover edition to be published by Centipepde Press, complete with original illustrations. I don't believe that Dorian is poisoned by the book, but rather that his unholy prayer is merely a natural reflection of his already debased nature. It is hinted, before Lord Henry works his black magick, that Dorian is abusive to Basil. Dorian, throughout the novel, merely realises the truth about his corrupt nature. He is the active figure of evil, while Lord Henry is merely its languid spokesperson. Basil is a figure of decadence, especially in the earlier version that was published in magazine form, wherein his perverted passion for Dorian is given fuller form of expression. Les Fleurs du Mal was one of the books Wilde requested be sent to him as he languished in prison.

"We work in the dark -- we do what we can -- we give what we have. Our doubt is our passion and our passion is our task. The rest is the madness of art."
--Henry James (1843-1916)
hopfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
6 Thanks From:
Andrea Bonazzi (12-24-2008), bendk (12-23-2008), Cyril Tourneur (12-23-2008), Daisy (12-23-2008), Nemonymous (12-23-2008), paeng (12-23-2008)
Old 10-01-2010   #3
DEVILinIRON
Mannikin
Points: 7,228, Level: 59 Points: 7,228, Level: 59 Points: 7,228, Level: 59
Level up: 39% Level up: 39% Level up: 39%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Re: On Baudelaire and Others

I apologize for the naivety of this post. I could be venturing into obscurity here. But I just now finished the Polemical Preface in Angela Carter's The Sadean Woman. So far her book is the first reasonable and acceptable reading (for me) of the Marquis de Sade and his work that I have read. In speaking of Sade, she mentions him as an influence to Baudelaire. So this forum is the second time tonight that I have seen mention of Baudelaire. I am now curious to read his work. Thanks! Her quote from Baudelaire,
"'When I have inspired universal disgust and horror, then I will have conquered solitude.'"
DEVILinIRON is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks From:
LeglessSaltyDiogenes (10-04-2014)