THE NIGHTMARE NETWORK
Go Back   THE NIGHTMARE NETWORK > Discussion & Interpretation > Ligotti Influences > General Discussion
Home Forums Content Contagion Members Media Diversion Info Register

Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes Translate
Old 05-20-2014   #1
Doctor Dugald Eldritch
Mystic
Quotes: 0
Points: 53,013, Level: 100 Points: 53,013, Level: 100 Points: 53,013, Level: 100
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Should Robert Aickman be Published by Penguin Classics?

This thought occured to me last night whilst reading The View. For all his elegance, sophistication and urbane prose, erudition of classical and highbrow literature and perfect perception of the human consciousness, Robert Aickman ought to be published by Penguin Classics. Reading Aickman's prose is, for me, the equivalent of eating chocolate and ice cream. As a general writer he triumphs above those toads who can write of crude amatory affairs and call it ''literature''. Yet his ghettoisation as a 'ghost-story' writer puts off they who do not appreciate the Imagination. The swines do not want the world to read books that feature faeries, ghosts or the cosmic, they want maudlin trash books that contain ordinary people in love. They do not want to drive Rolls Royces, they would rather drive ugly Fords.

I believe in the power of the imagination to remake the world, to release the truth within us, to hold back the night, to transcend death, to charm motorways, to ingratiate ourselves with birds, to enlist the confidences of madmen.
-- J.G. Ballard
Doctor Dugald Eldritch is offline   Reply With Quote
4 Thanks From:
beetlebox (05-20-2014), gveranon (05-20-2014), Nemonymous (05-20-2014), qcrisp (05-20-2014)
Old 05-20-2014   #2
qcrisp
Grimscribe
Points: 125,626, Level: 100 Points: 125,626, Level: 100 Points: 125,626, Level: 100
Re: Should Robert Aickman be Published by Penguin Classics?

Quote Originally Posted by Hell-Ghost View Post
This thought occured to me last night whilst reading The View. For all his elegance, sophistication and urbane prose, erudition of classical and highbrow literature and perfect perception of the human consciousness, Robert Aickman ought to be published by Penguin Classics. Reading Aickman's prose is, for me, the equivalent of eating chocolate and ice cream. As a general writer he triumphs above those toads who can write of crude amatory affairs and call it ''literature''. Yet his ghettoisation as a 'ghost-story' writer puts off they who do not appreciate the Imagination. The swines do not want the world to read books that feature faeries, ghosts or the cosmic, they want maudlin trash books that contain ordinary people in love. They do not want to drive Rolls Royces, they would rather drive ugly Fords.
Do you know what technical criteria (if any) there are for works to be published as Penguin Classics? (Of course, recently, whatever criteria there might have been were torn up to make way for Morrissey. Even as a fan of his music, I have to say I thought this was cultural vandalism, and it tends to convince me that practically no one in the world has a clue these days what good prose actually is.)

Absolutely candid, carefree, but straightforward speech becomes possible for the first time when one speaks of the highest." - Friedrich Schlegel
qcrisp is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Thanks From:
Doctor Dugald Eldritch (08-23-2015), gveranon (05-20-2014)
Old 05-20-2014   #3
Michael
Grimscribe
Points: 33,062, Level: 100 Points: 33,062, Level: 100 Points: 33,062, Level: 100
Activity: 50% Activity: 50% Activity: 50%

Yes. Unequivocally yes.
Michael is offline   Reply With Quote
3 Thanks From:
Doctor Dugald Eldritch (08-23-2015), MTC (05-20-2014), teguififthzeal (05-20-2014)
Old 05-20-2014   #4
teguififthzeal
Grimscribe
Points: 24,943, Level: 100 Points: 24,943, Level: 100 Points: 24,943, Level: 100

Yes. Absolutely Yes.

"The Wine Dark Sea" should be made available to everyone. "Bind Your Hair" and "My Poor Friend" are unforgettable gems.

“The real reason why so few men believe in God is that they have ceased to believe that even a God can love them.”
― Thomas Merton, No Man Is an Island
teguififthzeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks From:
Doctor Dugald Eldritch (08-23-2015)
Old 05-22-2014   #5
ramonoski
Grimscribe
Points: 15,238, Level: 85 Points: 15,238, Level: 85 Points: 15,238, Level: 85
Level up: 11% Level up: 11% Level up: 11%
Activity: 67% Activity: 67% Activity: 67%

Quote Originally Posted by qcrisp View Post
Do you know what technical criteria (if any) there are for works to be published as Penguin Classics? (Of course, recently, whatever criteria there might have been were torn up to make way for Morrissey. Even as a fan of his music, I have to say I thought this was cultural vandalism, and it tends to convince me that practically no one in the world has a clue these days what good prose actually is.)
I think that particular case is only comparable to when Criterion decided that Michael Bay's Armageddon was worthy of being included in their catalog

So, yeah. Unsure what qualifies as Penguin material anymore, but sure, I'm up for anything that brings more readers.
ramonoski is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks From:
teguififthzeal (05-22-2014)