THE NIGHTMARE NETWORK
Go Back   THE NIGHTMARE NETWORK > Miscellanea > Contests > THE NIGHTMARE FACTORY Graphic Novel Contest
Home Forums Content Contagion Members Media Diversion Info Register

Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes Translate
Old 09-24-2007   #1
Dr. Bantham
Town Manager
Quotes: 19
Points: 321,338, Level: 100 Points: 321,338, Level: 100 Points: 321,338, Level: 100
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
TNF Contest #3 - "Dr. Locrian's Asylum"

Contest #3 - "Dr. Locrian's Asylum"
Best Architectural Themed Submission
Suggested Mediums - Photograph (Asylum, Town), Artwork

TLO reserves the right to make exceptions/revisions to the rules and contest deadline. Winners will be selected by Dr. Bantham and all decisions are final. Participation by members is heartily encouraged regardless of artistic ability, as the intent is to promote fun and entertainment as much as creativity and reward. In other words, garish amateurism is welcome!

Submission is encouraged to be presented as replies to this thread, to allow for the interest and encouragement from fellow members. You may alternatively mail, email or private message Dr. Bantham for aid in submitting entries. Remember - participation should be fun and is encouraged regardless of talent. Seriously! Good luck!

THOMAS LIGOTTI ONLINE
A Shining Brainless Beacon Of Elegant Mutations And Cunning Annihilations
Dr. Bantham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007   #2
Calenture
Mystic
Quotes: 0
Points: 14,677, Level: 83 Points: 14,677, Level: 83 Points: 14,677, Level: 83
Level up: 51% Level up: 51% Level up: 51%
Activity: 67% Activity: 67% Activity: 67%
Re: TNF Contest #3 - "Dr. Locrian's Asylum" - Among The Rooftops

As the date shows, Among The Rooftops was obviously not drawn with this competition in mind. The drawing was begun in 2005 and final details were only added this year (I'm afraid I'm not a fast worker and this one took a while. (OK, I admit I worked on other things at the same time!))

I've read Dr Bantham's comments on submitting previously prepared work, but I'd like to post this here anyway. Of course, I'd love to win the book!

The drawing was made for the Friendship book of my friend Manon, in Holland. Helpful advice on some later details was given by comic artist Adrian Salmon.

If you want to expand the picture, you can click on it, then on the 'all sizes' button at Flikr.

Rog

Last edited by Calenture; 10-22-2007 at 04:06 PM..
Calenture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007   #3
Shadow Weaver
Mannikin
Points: 7,518, Level: 60 Points: 7,518, Level: 60 Points: 7,518, Level: 60
Level up: 84% Level up: 84% Level up: 84%
Re: TNF Contest #3 - "Dr. Locrian's Asylum"

Rog,

I love the skewed architecture in the drawing. The balcony is ominous in the foreground. i'd love to see a version where your swanman has his back to the viewer on the balcony
Shadow Weaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007   #4
Calenture
Mystic
Points: 14,677, Level: 83 Points: 14,677, Level: 83 Points: 14,677, Level: 83
Level up: 51% Level up: 51% Level up: 51%
Activity: 67% Activity: 67% Activity: 67%

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow Weaver View Post
Rog,

I'd love to see a version where your swanman has his back to the viewer on the balcony.
Thanks for the kind words, Shadow Weaver. You had me puzzled for a while. Then I realised that you'd found my illustration for the Swanman story on my Flicker site. Somehow I doubt that this chap will ever make it to the rooftops. But it might be interesting to suggest the idea to Noah Brown, who wrote the story.

Imagining Swanman on that tower brings to mind memories of Swelter the cook hunting Mr Flay in Gormenghast's Hall of Spiders. Remembering creations like that is humbling. But it can be fun climbing some towers even if their tops are unreachable.
Calenture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007   #5
The New Nonsense
Grimscribe
Points: 47,346, Level: 100 Points: 47,346, Level: 100 Points: 47,346, Level: 100
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%

This is my submission. Title -- "The Red Tower" This was created from a vintage photo of a factory. I've altered the original to make it closer to how the Red Tower is described. For example, I removed the windows and placed it on a lone landscape. Though digital filters I altered the lighting, the building's contour, and attempted to give it the look of a pastel sketch -- hazy, like something glimpsed in a dream.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Red Tower1.JPG
Views:	333
Size:	59.1 KB
ID:	78  

"Too much of anything is bad, but too much good whiskey is barely enough." Mark Twain
The New Nonsense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007   #6
slothysaint
Mannikin
Points: 5,693, Level: 51 Points: 5,693, Level: 51 Points: 5,693, Level: 51
Level up: 72% Level up: 72% Level up: 72%

My submission.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version