THE NIGHTMARE NETWORK
Go Back   THE NIGHTMARE NETWORK > Discussion & Interpretation > Ligotti Influences > H. P. Lovecraft
Home Forums Content Contagion Members Media Diversion Info Register

Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes Translate
Old 10-15-2014   #21
SpookyDread
Mystic
Quotes: 0
Points: 13,545, Level: 80 Points: 13,545, Level: 80 Points: 13,545, Level: 80
Level up: 28% Level up: 28% Level up: 28%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Re: WSJ article: "Here’s Why H.P. Lovecraft Matters More Than Ever"

You can read him however you want, but Lovecraft bent his life solely to the end that he would write and convey the daemonic. and its incorrect to give him any other reading. its the only way to properly correctly interpret what he was about. he was a critic of the occult. one of the greatest writers of the english or any language. you can decry him as a racist, and see elements of that in there, or you can take a polyvalent reading of his stories as expressing mediumship as the underlying religious-engine around the world and both the locus of misfortune as well as of exploring the taboo and transgression, which is what horror does, and what mediumship and what religion should do .
SpookyDread is offline   Reply With Quote
3 Thanks From:
Coa (10-15-2014), Druidic (10-15-2014), mark_samuels (10-17-2014)
Old 10-15-2014   #22
Coa
Mystic
Points: 4,850, Level: 47 Points: 4,850, Level: 47 Points: 4,850, Level: 47
Level up: 50% Level up: 50% Level up: 50%
Activity: 14% Activity: 14% Activity: 14%

One more article that confirm this - Why H.P. Lovecraft Matters More Than Ever...

"Humans do not stand at the top of a ladder of creation, above the apes and below the angels, superior to all other species"
" I am usually allergic to tales of The Ascent of Man, but I thought – and hoped – that we’d outgrown the idea of evolution as a linear narrative leading from archaea to astronauts."

... or critique of Brian Cox BBC show called "Human Universe" (!!!)

Brian Cox's Human Universe presents a fatally flawed view of evolution | Science | theguardian.com

I knew that someday I was gonna die / And I knew before I died Two things would happen to me / That number one I would regret my entire life / And number two I would want to live my life over again.
Hubert Selby Jr.
Coa is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks From:
Druidic (10-15-2014)
Old 10-15-2014   #23
Coa
Mystic
Points: 4,850, Level: 47 Points: 4,850, Level: 47 Points: 4,850, Level: 47
Level up: 50% Level up: 50% Level up: 50%
Activity: 14% Activity: 14% Activity: 14%

One of the comments there -

"This is all part of a trend in the last few years. This is what happens when you have a secular society that is too ignorant and hubristic to know that it is built on Judaic- Christian beliefs and philosophies. It's all made possible by a triumphalist belief in what a prominent group believe to be rationality, but which is nothing of the sort. We have no dominion over nature, or knowledge. A little more humility before our our own ignorance, and our own changing natures, would be very welcome."

My faith in Guardian comment section restored - at least for 15.October 2014.

I knew that someday I was gonna die / And I knew before I died Two things would happen to me / That number one I would regret my entire life / And number two I would want to live my life over again.
Hubert Selby Jr.
Coa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014   #24
SpookyDread
Mystic

yeah , well

Astral projection comes out of a lightness . Jesus was a necromancer. Clear to anyone who has read Mark 5. To know the transnatural is to become transnatural. It takes one to know one etc. This is the problem if you could call it that with Sailor Moon as a show/story/manga whatever . Made by a shrine maiden. the Sailor scouts are dualistically opposed to the evil, but we know the comedy is in watching them bumble around and get slaughtered, and the evil always prevails, so to speak.

the Eucharist has long been associated in archaic societies with ritual cannibalism for a reason. I've been studying that all year.

Currently reading for class, Giovanni's Room by James Baldwin. Full of directy references to scrying mirrors, rosicrucianism, sleep paralysis, i made a thread about it here.. in Canadian history class read an article by Nancy Shoemaker ,

Kateri_Tekakwitha Kateri_Tekakwitha
, "Kateri Tekakwitha's Tortuous Path to Sainthood,"

whatever. people know this. spend 5min in a library looking up information on the gothic and anglicanism, necrophilia and cannibalism.

whatever

jaded

as all ####
Old 10-15-2014   #25
Robin Davies
Grimscribe
Points: 31,005, Level: 100 Points: 31,005, Level: 100 Points: 31,005, Level: 100
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Activity: 50% Activity: 50% Activity: 50%

The counter-petition seems to be struggling a bit:
http://www.change.org/p/world-fantas...-them-to-be-pc
Robin Davies is offline   Reply With Quote
5 Thanks From:
dr. locrian (10-15-2014), Druidic (10-15-2014), mark_samuels (10-17-2014), qcrisp (10-15-2014), Robert Adam Gilmour (10-18-2014)
Old 10-15-2014   #26
qcrisp
Grimscribe
Points: 125,626, Level: 100 Points: 125,626, Level: 100 Points: 125,626, Level: 100

Quote Originally Posted by Robin Davies View Post
The counter-petition seems to be struggling a bit:
http://www.change.org/p/world-fantas...-them-to-be-pc
I signed it.

Absolutely candid, carefree, but straightforward speech becomes possible for the first time when one speaks of the highest." - Friedrich Schlegel
qcrisp is offline   Reply With Quote
4 Thanks From:
dr. locrian (10-15-2014), Druidic (10-15-2014), mark_samuels (10-17-2014), Robert Adam Gilmour (10-18-2014)
Old 10-15-2014   #27
Druidic
Grimscribe
Points: 77,541, Level: 100 Points: 77,541, Level: 100 Points: 77,541, Level: 100
Activity: 71% Activity: 71% Activity: 71%

Yes, why not? Me, too.
Druidic is offline   Reply With Quote
3 Thanks From:
dr. locrian (10-15-2014), mark_samuels (10-17-2014), qcrisp (10-16-2014)
Old 10-17-2014   #28
mark_samuels
Quotes:

Just signed it.

Sorry to be "doubleplus ungood". Not.

Mark S.
Thanks From:
qcrisp (10-18-2014)
Old 10-17-2014   #29
DoktorH
Grimscribe
Points: 39,440, Level: 100 Points: 39,440, Level: 100 Points: 39,440, Level: 100
Activity: 25% Activity: 25% Activity: 25%

if Lovecraft was bigoted against anyone, I'd say its his fellow New Englanders, as so many of them are waxen faced worshippers of green flame, subway-tunnel ghouls that feed on human remains, frog-faced descendants of things from under the sea, members of cults that have been around since antiquity, or scholars that lack the sense to leave all those other groups alone.

I have been to boston a few times and cape cod once, and these trips took quite a toll on my mental well being and i still occasionally have nightmares about them, so i can understand why he thinks the people are monsters. Maybe he was just trying to warn people away from the place?
DoktorH is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Thanks From:
qcrisp (10-18-2014), SpookyDread (10-17-2014)
Old 10-17-2014   #30
SpookyDread
Mystic

Quote Originally Posted by DoktorH View Post
if Lovecraft was bigoted against anyone, I'd say its his fellow New Englanders, as so many of them are waxen faced worshippers of green flame, subway-tunnel ghouls that feed on human remains, frog-faced descendants of things from under the sea, members of cults that have been around since antiquity, or scholars that lack the sense to leave all those other groups alone.

I have been to boston a few times and cape cod once, and these trips took quite a toll on my mental well being and i still occasionally have nightmares about them, so i can understand why he thinks the people are monsters. Maybe he was just trying to warn people away from the place?
There's definitely a fascination to it as well. He hates it and he loves it. I think everyone has a lot of those same emotions. I love Japanese arts, mythology, anime, manga.. but I have hated the way that it is written about. I love the way anthropologists have written about Vietnamese and S.Korean or Thai sorcery, and I was enthralled by this film about Thai buddhism though I was a bit disappointed with its totally anti-climatic ending.. the Lovelorn Ghost is the hero, the audience knows this, it doesn't need to be hidden, but she gets exorcised at the end of the movie? To please who?

I think Lovecraft balances these emotions really well. I wish anthropologists and religious institutions payed more attention to literature like that, Rudolf Otto is a real hero of mine for doing that and he comes very close to embracing all of that, even he falls short .

This film is like Werner Herzog ####ing Clive Barker .

The audience knows it, and loves it… Religious institutions can't admit it? Scholars can't admit it?

My jadedness is in that.