THE NIGHTMARE NETWORK
Go Back   THE NIGHTMARE NETWORK > Miscellanea > Off Topic
Home Forums Content Contagion Members Media Diversion Info Register

Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes Translate
Old 01-01-2008   #1
barrywood
Chymist
Quotes: 0
Points: 24,864, Level: 100 Points: 24,864, Level: 100 Points: 24,864, Level: 100
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Unusual Book Title

The Unholy Bible - by D. E. Vil. Signed. Presented in limited, hot-red covers.

Can you think of one?

My story NOWHERE TO GO was published by PS PUBLISHING in a book titled POSTSCRIPTS #14 in England in 2008. Let me know if you've read it. I self-published eight short stories on audio-cassette in 1999 titled, fittingly, BARRY WOOD'S SHORT STORIES. And a few other short stories in little obscure publications -- which I forget their titles.
barrywood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008   #2
Cyril Tourneur
Grimscribe
Points: 123,424, Level: 100 Points: 123,424, Level: 100 Points: 123,424, Level: 100
Activity: 25% Activity: 25% Activity: 25%
Send a message via Skype™ to Cyril Tourneur
Re: Unusual Book Title

well it's not that unusual but currently i'd kill for this edition

The Grimoire of the Golden Toad
Special edition: 3 copies only, hand-bound in full black calf-skin, silvered endpapers, front cover inset with a toad's head and toadskin leather panelling on the rear. Each copy was accompanied by a sealed envelope containing card, talisman, bone and thorn. Issued for internal distribution only.

(Dictated while taking a stroll) I have come to realizewhat a superbly contrived marionette man is. Though without strings attached, one can strut, jump, hop and, moreover, utter words, an elaborately made puppet! Who knows? At the Bon season next year, I may be a new dead invited to the Bon festival. What an evanescent world! This truth keeps slipping off our minds.

- Tsunetomo Yamamoto, The Hagakure
Cyril Tourneur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008   #3
the_havoc_man
Mystic
Points: 5,633, Level: 51 Points: 5,633, Level: 51 Points: 5,633, Level: 51
Level up: 42% Level up: 42% Level up: 42%

That is a crazy book with contents. So what is that book about?

Quote Originally Posted by Cyril Tourneur View Post
well it's not that unusual but currently i'd kill for this edition

The Grimoire of the Golden Toad
Special edition: 3 copies only, hand-bound in full black calf-skin, silvered endpapers, front cover inset with a toad's head and toadskin leather panelling on the rear. Each copy was accompanied by a sealed envelope containing card, talisman, bone and thorn. Issued for internal distribution only.

the_havoc_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008   #4
Cyril Tourneur
Grimscribe
Points: 123,424, Level: 100 Points: 123,424, Level: 100 Points: 123,424, Level: 100
Activity: 25% Activity: 25% Activity: 25%
Send a message via Skype™ to Cyril Tourneur

it's a book by andrew chumbley, deceased magister of the cultus sabbati...his books sell even higher than tom's...

X O A N O N Back Catalogue

(Dictated while taking a stroll) I have come to realizewhat a superbly contrived marionette man is. Though without strings attached, one can strut, jump, hop and, moreover, utter words, an elaborately made puppet! Who knows? At the Bon season next year, I may be a new dead invited to the Bon festival. What an evanescent world! This truth keeps slipping off our minds.

- Tsunetomo Yamamoto, The Hagakure
Cyril Tourneur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008   #5
The New Nonsense
Grimscribe
Points: 47,346, Level: 100 Points: 47,346, Level: 100 Points: 47,346, Level: 100

That is a crazy book with contents. So what is that book about?
Chumbley's books are about magick; specifically, Sabbatic witchcraft. His other books, The Azoetia, and Qutub are magickal grimoires that contain spells, magickal sigils, rites and the general practice of the Cultus Sabbati, a group that follows the "crooked path", as it's called -- neither the left hand path nor the right (black & white magick, respectively), but weaves in-between the two. What makes The Grimoire of the Golden Toad unique (besides its scarcity -- only 77 copies printed) is that it's only about one specific spell or ritual; the solitary initiation of the so-called 'Toad-witch' and the creation of the toad-bone amulet. Legend has it, the wearer of the toad-bone amulet is granted immense magickal power. This is why the book is so sought after.

"Too much of anything is bad, but too much good whiskey is barely enough." Mark Twain
The New Nonsense is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Thanks From:
Doctor Dugald Eldritch (12-27-2015), Ilsa (08-13-2008)
Old 08-13-2008   #6
Aetherwing
Chymist
Points: 17,202, Level: 90 Points: 17,202, Level: 90 Points: 17,202, Level: 90
Level up: 72% Level up: 72% Level up: 72%

That IS quite interesting, as a curiosity if nothing else. I am not a believer of such things, but obviously still find them ghoulishly interesting.

Here's one that is pretty neat:

POW-WOWS: or THE LONG-LOST FRIEND
Attributed to a John George Hoffman, 1820

"Written by a Pennsylvania Dutch healer in the 1820s, this book is a rambling collection of rural home remedies and folk invocations. Pow-wow is a unique creole of Christian theology and a shamanistic belief system. It is still practiced in some rural areas of Pennsylvania. In spite of the name, it is not of Native American derivation. It is believed to have been brought over to America by German immigrants who practiced folk-magic.
This little book includes healing spells, binding spells, protective spells, talismans, wards and benedictions. As for the home remedies, we don't recommend you try any of them (e.g., if you have scurvy we suggest that you get some limes. And if your livestock are sick, please have a veterinarian look at them.) The text is also of historical interest, as it paints a vivid picture of the miseries of rural American life in the early nineteenth century. The original is very rare."

Manly Wade Wellman used it as his "Necronomicon in many of his John the Minstrel tales.

If any of you ever DO secure a copy of your Toad-Grimoire, I'd love to see pics!

Regards,
-Aether

"The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite insane."

-Nikola Tesla, July of 1934
Aetherwing is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Thanks From:
Daisy (08-13-2008), Doctor Dugald Eldritch (12-27-2015)
Old 08-13-2008   #7
The New Nonsense
Grimscribe
Points: 47,346, Level: 100 Points: 47,346, Level: 100 Points: 47,346, Level: 100

Here's one that is pretty neat:

POW-WOWS: or THE LONG-LOST FRIEND
Attributed to a John George Hoffman, 1820
I have a copy of POW-WOWS: or THE LONG-LOST FRIEND -- not an 1820 edition, but a more recent one. It's a classic folk-magick text; right up there with THE BLACK PULLET. POW-WOWS is basically a grimoire of spells and conjurations used in backwoods witchcraft and hoodoo (not to be confused with voodoo). It contains a lot of Pennsylvania Dutch folk-magickal remedies like: how to keep your cows from going dry, to ward off the evil eye, or the casting of hexes.

I'm really fascinated by Pennsylvania Dutch hex signs. Last weekend I picked up the book, HEX AND SPELLWORK: THE MAGICAL PRACTICES OF THE PENNSYLVANIA DUTCH by Karl Herr. It looks really good.

If any of you ever DO secure a copy of your Toad-Grimoire, I'd love to see pics!
I'm hoping Xoanon Publishing will reprint it someday. They've re-printed Chumbley's AZOETIA, so it's possible. I'd love to add it to my Chumbley/Sabbatic witchcraft collection.

"Too much of anything is bad, but too much good whiskey is barely enough." Mark Twain
The New Nonsense is offline   Reply With Quote
3 Thanks From:
Aetherwing (08-13-2008), Daisy (08-13-2008), Doctor Dugald Eldritch (12-27-2015)