THE NIGHTMARE NETWORK
Go Back   THE NIGHTMARE NETWORK > Discussion & Interpretation > Story Forum > SONGS OF A DEAD DREAMER
Home Forums Content Contagion Members Media Diversion Info Register

Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes Translate
Old 10-22-2015   #1
Nemonymous
Grimscribe
Quotes: 0
Points: 274,565, Level: 100 Points: 274,565, Level: 100 Points: 274,565, Level: 100
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Activity: 50% Activity: 50% Activity: 50%
The Music of the Moon

THE MUSIC OF THE MOON

"As Tressor slowly approached this figure, with vague thoughts of rescue in his mind, he noticed that its eyelids were shut."

There is a soporific slowness, a vagueness, a muffled serenity about this story as if the shapes, shadows, strange structures and sinister scenes glimpsed earlier in this book are being remixed, rethought, put into music whether the four musicians or "cases" are there to play it or not. "...as he recalled hearing it somewhat dulled by a closed door." Messages, invitations, appointments, the way to break the sequence of Tressor's insomniac nights.

Roaming around, trying doors... And some readers may indeed be browsing this book at random rather than reading it strictly from beginning to end as I am reading it, intent, as I have been, on creating patterns and gestalts, previously trying to tie the inferred author to his masthead by his own knots.

I have let this story wash over me, not worrying any longer about authorial audit trails, just absorbing its "quiet gray dawn", knowing that I can stay in this story and rest from making those patterns. A piece of music by Morton Feldman, one note after the other, with silence between them, in uncanny contrast to the highly textured 'notes' of the prose itself.

Tressor, rest or stress? Whichever, this is a truly wonderful work, perhaps the best for me so far.

"Then sound began to enter the silence, but so inconspicuously that Tressor could not tell when the absolute silence had ended and an embellished silence had begun."

(An extract from my on-going review of the Penguin Classics collection.)
Nemonymous is offline   Reply With Quote
6 Thanks From:
bendk (02-28-2016), Calenture (02-28-2016), Druidic (02-28-2016), miguel1984 (10-22-2015), teguififthzeal (03-05-2016), With Strength I Burn (02-27-2016)
Old 04-28-2016   #2
Nemonymous
Grimscribe
Threadstarter
Quotes: 0
Points: 274,565, Level: 100 Points: 274,565, Level: 100 Points: 274,565, Level: 100
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Activity: 50% Activity: 50% Activity: 50%
Re: The Music of the Moon

Sorry, I missed your wonderful entry above on this thread, WSIB, till now.

Quote Originally Posted by Nemonymous View Post
THE MUSIC OF THE MOON

"As Tressor slowly approached this figure, with vague thoughts of rescue in his mind, he noticed that its eyelids were shut."

There is a soporific slowness, a vagueness, a muffled serenity about this story as if the shapes, shadows, strange structures and sinister scenes glimpsed earlier in this book are being remixed, rethought, put into music whether the four musicians or "cases" are there to play it or not. "...as he recalled hearing it somewhat dulled by a closed door." Messages, invitations, appointments, the way to break the sequence of Tressor's insomniac nights.

Roaming around, trying doors... And some readers may indeed be browsing this book at random rather than reading it strictly from beginning to end as I am reading it, intent, as I have been, on creating patterns and gestalts, previously trying to tie the inferred author to his masthead by his own knots.

I have let this story wash over me, not worrying any longer about authorial audit trails, just absorbing its "quiet gray dawn", knowing that I can stay in this story and rest from making those patterns. A piece of music by Morton Feldman, one note after the other, with silence between them, in uncanny contrast to the highly textured 'notes' of the prose itself.

Tressor, rest or stress? Whichever, this is a truly wonderful work, perhaps the best for me so far.

"Then sound began to enter the silence, but so inconspicuously that Tressor could not tell when the absolute silence had ended and an embellished silence had begun."

(An extract from my on-going review of the Penguin Classics collection.)
Rationale: http://www.ligotti.net/showthread.ph...007#post123007

A quote from my review of CATHR here The Conspiracy Against The Human Race by Thomas Ligotti my review | THE LAST BALCONY: On the Essex Edge in 2010:

"And a chink of light: the author cites many ingredients of a depressed human in his views on the world, one being that he sees that “The image of a cloud-crossed moon is not in itself a purveyor of anything mysterious or mystical;” – but what, I ask, if that cloud-crossed moon is truly mystical (even when the view of it by the depressed human is initially that it is unmystical), will the human being then gradually feel the lifting of his depression once the moon’s intrinsic mysticism starts to sink into him involuntarily? (6 Jul 10 – another 3 hours later)"
Nemonymous is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Thanks From:
miguel1984 (04-28-2016), With Strength I Burn (07-25-2016)