THE NIGHTMARE NETWORK
Go Back   THE NIGHTMARE NETWORK > Discussion & Interpretation > Other Authors > Mark Samuels
Home Forums Content Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Contagion Members Media Diversion Info Register

Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes Translate
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #61
Evans
Grimscribe
Quotes: 0
Points: 23,773, Level: 100 Points: 23,773, Level: 100 Points: 23,773, Level: 100
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Activity: 21% Activity: 21% Activity: 21%
Re: THE PROZESS MANIFESTATIONS (new collection)

Quote Originally Posted by Hidden X View Post
Well, that story as printed in the collection is apparently somewhat different from the versions that appeared elsewhere (like that Joshi anthology), so I suppose that that exact bit maybe wasn't present it the version you've read?
Correct, point taken!
Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #62
Frater_Tsalal
Grimscribe
Points: 13,871, Level: 81 Points: 13,871, Level: 81 Points: 13,871, Level: 81
Level up: 21% Level up: 21% Level up: 21%
Activity: 99% Activity: 99% Activity: 99%
Send a message via AIM to Frater_Tsalal

I like it when Weird Fiction authors who generally aren't known for writing action scenes do so every now and then... I'm reminded of Lovecraft's "Innsmouth" story that sees the narrator smashing through doors, jumping out windows, evading patrols, and so on... actions you usually don't see typical Lovecraft narrators doing!

"The Outsider must find a direction and commit himself to it, not lie moping about the meaninglessness of the world."
-Colin Wilson, Religion and the Rebel
Frater_Tsalal is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Thanks From:
Jeff Matthews (2 Weeks Ago), miguel1984 (3 Weeks Ago)
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #63
Frater_Tsalal
Grimscribe
Points: 13,871, Level: 81 Points: 13,871, Level: 81 Points: 13,871, Level: 81
Level up: 21% Level up: 21% Level up: 21%
Send a message via AIM to Frater_Tsalal

Quote Originally Posted by Evans View Post
The idea of the red jungle spreading was more effective than the descriptions of the concrete beings it contained.
Were the Fiends ever described, though (and I realize I should know this, seeing as I read the bloody story just a few days ago!). I don't recall a concrete physical description of them, aside from their smell, of which a lot of details are given...

"The Outsider must find a direction and commit himself to it, not lie moping about the meaninglessness of the world."
-Colin Wilson, Religion and the Rebel
Frater_Tsalal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #64
Hidden X
Mystic
Points: 3,579, Level: 39 Points: 3,579, Level: 39 Points: 3,579, Level: 39
Level up: 53% Level up: 53% Level up: 53%

Nah, I don't think that were any descriptions of their appearance. On that account, even the landscape, alien flora, architecture... were painted in broad strokes. We have no idea what the "temples" found within the fog look like, for example, even though narrator ends up entering one of them. We do get the description of the interior... interior that is actually clear of fog iirc. I can see the point of it, but I can also see why some might see it as a flaw (even when they realize why he chose to avoid any descriptions of those Fiends).
Hidden X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #65
luciferfell
Chymist
Points: 16,090, Level: 87 Points: 16,090, Level: 87 Points: 16,090, Level: 87
Level up: 55% Level up: 55% Level up: 55%
Activity: 17% Activity: 17% Activity: 17%

I really want to pull the trigger on buying this. Since now that some people have read the collection, thoughts? Worth a purchase?
luciferfell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #66
Masonwire
Mystic
Points: 9,758, Level: 68 Points: 9,758, Level: 68 Points: 9,758, Level: 68
Level up: 36% Level up: 36% Level up: 36%

I got it yesterday and am going to read it within the next couple of days. So far I've only read "The Crimson Fog" (in The Red Brain) and I had expected a bit more from what some people here had said about that story. I was neither too convinced by the slightly "pulpy" direction nor by the fiends in the fog as it all reminded me a bit too much of King's "The Mist".
Masonwire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #67
Hidden X
Mystic

Quote Originally Posted by luciferfell View Post
I really want to pull the trigger on buying this. Since now that some people have read the collection, thoughts? Worth a purchase?
I don't know if I can give definite answer to this. Final two stories were the most enjoyable ones for me. "The Crimson Fog" is OK, but it is far from being one of his best stories though that might be the matter of taste -- both of two reviews on GR disagree with me, as did those who wrote about it on this forum prior to its seeing print (as does ST Joshi, iirc either Druidic or someone else wrote how he thought it one the best Samuels stories) -- which is why I inquired for more detailed thoughts about it here. Remaining stories are, IMO, unremarkable.
But, I'd say that I enjoyed the final two stories more than I did the contents of his prior collection.
2 Thanks From:
miguel1984 (3 Weeks Ago), Nemonymous (3 Weeks Ago)
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #68
Bleak&Icy
Grimscribe
Points: 43,230, Level: 100 Points: 43,230, Level: 100 Points: 43,230, Level: 100

Living in Australia as I do, I generally expect to receive books later than everyone else, but even so I was beginning to worry. Last night I contacted Jonas and requested a tracking number. He replied quickly, and informed me that "an unforgivable mistake" had occurred and the book had not been sent. But he promised to send a copy immediately, and in addition he deposited a partial refund in my Paypal account as an apology.

Jonas is a good guy! My wait continues.

"Reality is the shadow of the word." -- Bruno Schulz
Bleak&Icy is offline   Reply With Quote
7 Thanks From:
Gnosticangel (3 Weeks Ago), Jeff Matthews (3 Weeks Ago), miguel1984 (3 Weeks Ago), mongoose (3 Weeks Ago), Mr. Veech (3 Weeks Ago), waffles (3 Weeks Ago), Zaharoff (3 Weeks Ago)
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #69
MadsPLP
Grimscribe
Points: 45,325, Level: 100 Points: 45,325, Level: 100 Points: 45,325, Level: 100
Send a message via MSN to MadsPLP

I enjoyed "The Red Fog" the most; I think, pulpy as it may be, it managed to create an atmosphere that was permeating. It's also the story where "Doctor Prozess" is mentioned the least; something I think is for the better. That recurring "character" is too vague to mean more than what is obvious from the name, and the recurrence suggests an interconnectedness in the stories that simply isn't there. The collection as a whole would have been stronger without that play at interconnectedness. It's already there in the worldview - using a thinly developed character as a ploy or signpost for it detracts rather than add to the stories. Much like the case is with Richard Gavin and that doctor of his running around in every other story, I believe the doctor had been better left out or had his name changing.

"Moon Blood Red - the Tide Turning" had something, though the phrase from the play that occurs throughout the collection somehow doesn't make it for me; it doesn't sound ominous enough to my ear, but it is a rather striking story, reminiscent, by the way of setting, of Reggie Oliver's stories.

The Grabinski-esque 'The End of Perpetual Motion' was certainly enjoyable. Samuels is in general really good when he's out at sea.

Surprised to see such a Laird Barron-esque protagonist in the first story; then again, a lot of Samuels' protagonists were nearing the final stage of cirrhosis of the liver before Barron's protagonists had their first taste of liquor.
MadsPLP is offline   Reply With Quote
4 Thanks From:
Hidden X (3 Weeks Ago), luciferfell (3 Weeks Ago), miguel1984 (3 Weeks Ago), Nemonymous (3 Weeks Ago)
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #70
Hidden X
Mystic

I'm not sure if that character was meant to be the parody of what people her see as the usual "white dad" weird fiction protagonists... Entire story was trying to be humorous, if not too successfully. As for the consumption of ungodly amounts of alcohol, I think that Samuels sees that as a part of his "tradition." Protagonists in Ewers or Ray stories are often like that, and the opening story here is far from the first on where his characters consume ridiculous amounts of liquor (see the protagonist of his short novel).