THE NIGHTMARE NETWORK
Go Back   THE NIGHTMARE NETWORK > Discussion & Interpretation > Other Authors > D. F. Lewis
Home Forums Content Contagion Members Media Diversion Info Register

Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes Translate
Old 06-01-2007   #1
Nemonymous
Grimscribe
Quotes: 0
Points: 274,565, Level: 100 Points: 274,565, Level: 100 Points: 274,565, Level: 100
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Activity: 50% Activity: 50% Activity: 50%
Word Clones / Word Clowns

I mentioned en passant 'word clones' and 'word clowns' in my ON THE HOOF review of CATHR posted a few days ago. These sort of slid in unbidden and I've wondered ever since what on earth I had in mind!
Within the review, it is sort of hinted, I believe, that these represent the relative strengths of autonomous lettering, even to extent that the letters themselves perform like puppets or dolls or clowns before settling down within the pattern of semantic fields, graphologies, phonemes, morphemes, syntactical-formations-between-them etc, as sort of ... writing automata? The pre-performance is not controlled by the headlease writer or even by that writer's set of collusive or non-collusive narrators who develop within the texture of the text, but the actual settlement of the letters after the performance (when the letters' duty of 'meaning' is due within the ordinary work-a-day scenario of the written communication business) is controlled by the headlease writer and his amanuensis narrators. Dependent on the pre-performance of the letters, the actual end-message can be subsequently skewed or focussed accordingly. This does not absolve the headlease writer from responsibility for the end-message, but there are occasions where word clones or word clowns among the letters can be artful in themselves, even evil. (The word clones are rather sad creatures and will fall back flaccidly even at a suspicion of the headlease writer coming back to work into the 'garden of his literary cultivation' after lunch, whilst the word clowns have more bravura and will sit out their own existence as long as possible).
Nemonymous is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks From:
G. S. Carnivals (02-13-2009)
Old 06-01-2007   #2
G. S. Carnivals
Our Temporary Supervisor
Quotes: 397
Points: 272,439, Level: 100 Points: 272,439, Level: 100 Points: 272,439, Level: 100
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%
Re: Word Clones / Word Clowns

des,

Your assertion/theory has given this fellow logophile much new territory to wander and ponder. Thanks!

A headless writer,
Phil

"What does it mean to be alive except to court disaster and suffering at every moment?"

Tibet: Carnivals?
Ligotti: Ceremonies for initiating children into the cult of the sinister.
Tibet: Gas stations?
Ligotti: Nothing to say about gas stations as such, although I've always responded to the smell of gasoline as if it were a kind of perfume.
G. S. Carnivals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007   #3
G. S. Carnivals
Our Temporary Supervisor
Points: 272,439, Level: 100 Points: 272,439, Level: 100 Points: 272,439, Level: 100

Upon reflection, I might have signed my previous post as by "A heedless writer" with equal sincerity and validity. The clone and the clown are tussling. May the best word win...

"What does it mean to be alive except to court disaster and suffering at every moment?"

Ligotti: Nothing to say about gas stations as such, although I've always responded to the smell of gasoline as if it were a kind of perfume.
Old 06-01-2007   #4
Spotbowserfido2
Grimscribe
Quotes: 2
Points: 199,579, Level: 100 Points: 199,579, Level: 100 Points: 199,579, Level: 100

"All I did was turn my back for one moment. What is here is where? Is there comfort in my confusion?" Heathcliffe asked as his fingers gently raked Ezmerelda's arm, taking a cruel census of the appendage's hairs, pores, and such.

"Like a dog!" he said; it was as if the shame of it must outlive him. - Franz Kafka, The Trial

Last edited by Spotbowserfido2; 06-01-2007 at 10:55 PM..
Spotbowserfido2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2007   #5
Nemonymous
Grimscribe
Threadstarter
Quotes: 0
Points: 274,565, Level: 100 Points: 274,565, Level: 100 Points: 274,565, Level: 100
Activity: 50% Activity: 50% Activity: 50%

Tonguage n. (derivation: 'Weirdtongue' novel 28 August 2006):

A language that is physical; a language with words of inter-grammatical force and bulk; a language (of meaningful or meaningless words and their constituent letters) which interacts negatively or positively with those using it; a language possessing the familiar phonetic, semantic, graphological and syntactical usages as well as being a tangible thing-in-itself, often with its own consciousness and ability to change those very usages.
Nemonymous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2007   #6
G. S. Carnivals
Our Temporary Supervisor

Quote Originally Posted by DF Lewis View Post
Tonguage n. (derivation: 'Weirdtongue' novel 28 August 2006):

A language that is physical; a language with words of inter-grammatical force and bulk; a language (of meaningful or meaningless words and their constituent letters) which interacts negatively or positively with those using it; a language possessing the familiar phonetic, semantic, graphological and syntactical usages as well as being a tangible thing-in-itself, often with its own consciousness and ability to change those very usages.
des, the idea of Tonguage in relation to word clones and word clowns is fascinating. Perhaps another storey or nine billion will have to be added to the Tower of Babel...

Spotbowserfido2, what I've read of your novel Sugar Cane Carte Blanche is quite excellent. However, I suggest that you hold onto the leash as you compose your novel. Harlequin, without a doubt, pays much more than certain less respectable publishers for the works they put between covers. The excerpts which you have chosen to share with TLO have thus far remained within the bounds of decency. I hope your novel does, too. Just an idea...

Thanks From:
Nemonymous (02-13-2009)