THE NIGHTMARE NETWORK
Go Back   THE NIGHTMARE NETWORK > Wayward Distractions > Musicians > The Chameleons
Home Forums Content Contagion Members Media Diversion Info Register

Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes Translate
Old 01-20-2007   #1
The Silent One
Grimscribe
Quotes: 1
Points: 50,529, Level: 100 Points: 50,529, Level: 100 Points: 50,529, Level: 100
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
On The Chameleons (UK)

This band... I've not heard enough by them! I mean, the songs I've heard (not a great amount, but none too few) are wonderful, but so overlooked and underrated. I think the main problem is that iTunes doesn't stock the original albums, hence alienating or denying most of the potential fan base. Sad, really. Also, one needs a good ear and a decent attention span to really get the nuances in some of their best work. Speaking of which, "Perfume Garden", "Second Skin", and "Caution" are fantastic. Haven't heard them in ages, though, leaving mostly fond memories of guitar patterns...

"And into his dreams he fell...and forever."
The Silent One is offline   Reply With Quote
3 Thanks From:
Dr. Bantham (02-26-2012), Mad Madison (06-07-2014), miguel1984 (03-14-2017)
Old 06-07-2014   #2
LeglessSaltyDiogenes
Acolyte
Quotes: 0
Points: 1,506, Level: 23 Points: 1,506, Level: 23 Points: 1,506, Level: 23
Level up: 6% Level up: 6% Level up: 6%
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%
Re: On The Chameleons (UK)

I'm so glad to find a forum devoted to this amazing band. Mark Burgess' lyrics are genius enough, but backed by that band they really soar. The drummer especially, tho he plays simple patterns, has a lot of soul: You can hear him beating the #### out of those drums, its not an effect. I still play the song "Tears", especially the ending, over and over. You should be able to find their whole discography on Spotify.
LeglessSaltyDiogenes is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Thanks From:
miguel1984 (03-14-2017), subject6 (06-07-2014)
Old 06-07-2014   #3
Mad Madison
Chymist
Points: 10,581, Level: 71 Points: 10,581, Level: 71 Points: 10,581, Level: 71
Level up: 11% Level up: 11% Level up: 11%
Activity: 25% Activity: 25% Activity: 25%

The Chameleons are truly wonderful. So far I only have Strange Times, but I can hardly wait to pick up more music from these incredibly talented gentlemen.

"Life is but a doomed journey of misery and loneliness, punctuated by moments of suffering, and ending in total annihilation" - Zippy the Pinhead
Mad Madison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014   #4
Dr. Bantham
Town Manager
Quotes: 19
Points: 321,338, Level: 100 Points: 321,338, Level: 100 Points: 321,338, Level: 100

Quote Originally Posted by LeglessSaltyDiogenes View Post
I'm so glad to find a forum devoted to this amazing band. Mark Burgess' lyrics are genius enough, but backed by that band they really soar. The drummer especially, tho he plays simple patterns, has a lot of soul: You can hear him beating the #### out of those drums, its not an effect. I still play the song "Tears", especially the ending, over and over. You should be able to find their whole discography on Spotify.
My all-time favorite "pet" band, hence the dedicated forum. Auditory materialization of ethereal longings. Funny you should mention the drummer, as much attention has been dedicated to the alternate tunings and tape-delay mastery of the guitarists, but I have often wondered why the drummer has not garnered more appreciation.

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Madison View Post
The Chameleons are truly wonderful. So far I only have Strange Times, but I can hardly wait to pick up more music from these incredibly talented gentlemen.
You must listen to the first two studio albums, "Script of the Bridge" (my favorite) and "What Does Anything Mean? Basically". I still play these on regular occasion, after so many years.

THOMAS LIGOTTI ONLINE
A Shining Brainless Beacon Of Elegant Mutations And Cunning Annihilations
Dr. Bantham is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks From:
Mad Madison (06-09-2014)
Old 06-10-2014   #5
Mad Madison
Chymist
Points: 10,581, Level: 71 Points: 10,581, Level: 71 Points: 10,581, Level: 71
Level up: 11% Level up: 11% Level up: 11%
Activity: 25% Activity: 25% Activity: 25%

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Bantham View Post
You must listen to the first two studio albums, "Script of the Bridge" (my favorite) and "What Does Anything Mean? Basically". I still play these on regular occasion, after so many years.
Thanks; I certainly will, Dr. Bantham. What's your opinion of their newer material, i.e., Why Call It Anything?

"Life is but a doomed journey of misery and loneliness, punctuated by moments of suffering, and ending in total annihilation" - Zippy the Pinhead
Mad Madison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014   #6
Dr. Bantham
Town Manager
Quotes: 19
Points: 321,338, Level: 100 Points: 321,338, Level: 100 Points: 321,338, Level: 100

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Madison View Post
Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Bantham View Post
Thanks; I certainly will, Dr. Bantham. What's your opinion of their newer material, i.e., Why Call It Anything?
Nonplussed, I am afraid to say, though I was sentimentally found of the subsequent release of semi-acoustic renditions found on THIS NEVER ENDING NOW. For me, the majesty of the first two studio offerings stand alone, though various mixes as live performances manage to infiltrate my playlist on regular occasion.

THOMAS LIGOTTI ONLINE
A Shining Brainless Beacon Of Elegant Mutations And Cunning Annihilations
Dr. Bantham is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks From:
Mad Madison (06-11-2014)
Old 10-07-2014   #7
LeglessSaltyDiogenes
Acolyte
Points: 1,506, Level: 23 Points: 1,506, Level: 23 Points: 1,506, Level: 23
Level up: 6% Level up: 6% Level up: 6%
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%

Dr. Bantham, it just occured to me while listening to "Up the Down Escalator" that its an ethereal protest song. I don't know of anyone else who has written something like that, not even Hendrix came close.
LeglessSaltyDiogenes is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks From:
Dr. Bantham (03-15-2017)