THE NIGHTMARE NETWORK
Go Back   THE NIGHTMARE NETWORK > Wayward Distractions > Film > Contemporary Horror
Home Forums Content Contagion Members Media Diversion Info Register

Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes Translate
Old 07-13-2008   #1
trieffiewiles
Chymist
Quotes: 0
Points: 37,467, Level: 100 Points: 37,467, Level: 100 Points: 37,467, Level: 100
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Activity: 33% Activity: 33% Activity: 33%
Picnic at Hanging Rock

I hadn't seen this film forever, high school I believe, so I thought I'd watch it again. Relatively modern movies are far too often very eager to limit themselves to within the prototype trappings of a certain genre. Many people would give up and just try and write Picnic at Hanging Rock off as a ghost movie, as people have said regarding the stories of Robert Aickman and others. Yet, as was also the case of Mr. Aickman, this movie is very much in the vein of, no, not just that, it is a 'strange tale' in cinematic form.

There seems to be a sensuous, dangerous Pagan-like presense hanging invisibly about the central landmark for which the movie is named, but nothing is truely revealed in the arena. Rocks may almost take certain strange shapes, animals watch on as if waiting for some secret event to take place, acting occasionally like messengers, and at times break into hypnotic dance-like movement, just a hair short of seeming erotic, but never saying anything explicitly. Always speaking in enigmas, the enigmas always coiling around elusive clues to what is or what may be happening.

In fact, much of the story, from every standpoint I can think of, is told in the form of clues. The story itself begins at a Victorian Age school for young teenage women, in the Victoria region of Australia. The atmosphere of the movie, I can only describe as being the feeling of twilight made palpable, this definitely something to watch at night, yet most of the odd and forbidding events that take place do so under broad daylight.

I do wonder how much the director, Peter Weir, read of Arthur Machen, because someof the occurences do seem akin to the old, forgotten, ecstatic terrors spoken of his stories. Again though, this is only felt, suspected of at most. Also, for those who like A Company of Wolves , this film approaches the some of the same themes such as confused and blossoming sexuality as well as the generally haunted atmosphere, buts takes everything else from a completely different approach. For those here who aren't sadists like me, worry not about this either, there is barely a drop of blood shed the entire movie, the mysteries, and not any act of violence (I can think of almost none in the movie), are what come to weave the spell. Definitely worth a look.
trieffiewiles is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Thanks From:
symbolique (09-27-2016), ToALonelyPeace (01-02-2017)
Old 07-15-2008   #2
Odalisque
Grimscribe
Points: 45,811, Level: 100 Points: 45,811, Level: 100 Points: 45,811, Level: 100
Activity: 50% Activity: 50% Activity: 50%
Re: Picnic at Hanging Rock

Quote Originally Posted by trieffiewiles View Post
a drop of blood shed the entire movie, the mysteries, and not any act of violence (I can think of almost none in the movie), are what come to weave the spell. Definitely worth a look.
It's a film of menace, rather than bloodshed. The school seems menacing to me, as well as (perhaps more than) Hanging Rock. Brooding, as though waiting for something to happen.

Odalisque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008   #3
Odalisque
Grimscribe
Points: 45,811, Level: 100 Points: 45,811, Level: 100 Points: 45,811, Level: 100

Whoops! That cut off the beginning of what I intended to quote. It should have been:

For those here who aren't sadists like me, worry not about this either, there is barely a drop of blood shed the entire movie, the mysteries, and not any act of violence (I can think of almost none in the movie), are what come to weave the spell. Definitely worth a look.

Odalisque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008   #4
the_havoc_man
Mystic
Points: 5,633, Level: 51 Points: 5,633, Level: 51 Points: 5,633, Level: 51
Level up: 42% Level up: 42% Level up: 42%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

I have never seen this film. I have always wanted to. By the way very nice Ogre picture.

Quote Originally Posted by trieffiewiles View Post
I hadn't seen this film forever, high school I believe, so I thought I'd watch it again. Relatively modern movies are far too often very eager to limit themselves to within the prototype trappings of a certain genre. Many people would give up and just try and write Picnic at Hanging Rock off as a ghost movie, as people have said regarding the stories of Robert Aickman and others. Yet, as was also the case of Mr. Aickman, this movie is very much in the vein of, no, not just that, it is a 'strange tale' in cinematic form.

There seems to be a sensuous, dangerous Pagan-like presense hanging invisibly about the central landmark for which the movie is named, but nothing is truely revealed in the arena. Rocks may almost take certain strange shapes, animals watch on as if waiting for some secret event to take place, acting occasionally like messengers, and at times break into hypnotic dance-like movement, just a hair short of seeming erotic, but never saying anything explicitly. Always speaking in enigmas, the enigmas always coiling around elusive clues to what is or what may be happening.

In fact, much of the story, from every standpoint I can think of, is told in the form of clues. The story itself begins at a Victorian Age school for young teenage women, in the Victoria region of Australia. The atmosphere of the movie, I can only describe as being the feeling of twilight made palpable, this definitely something to watch at night, yet most of the odd and forbidding events that take place do so under broad daylight.

I do wonder how much the director, Peter Weir, read of Arthur Machen, because someof the occurences do seem akin to the old, forgotten, ecstatic terrors spoken of his stories. Again though, this is only felt, suspected of at most. Also, for those who like A Company of Wolves , this film approaches the some of the same themes such as confused and blossoming sexuality as well as the generally haunted atmosphere, buts takes everything else from a completely different approach. For those here who aren't sadists like me, worry not about this either, there is barely a drop of blood shed the entire movie, the mysteries, and not any act of violence (I can think of almost none in the movie), are what come to weave the spell. Definitely worth a look.
the_havoc_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008   #5
Bleak&Icy
Grimscribe
Points: 57,106, Level: 100 Points: 57,106, Level: 100 Points: 57,106, Level: 100
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

It takes about an hour-and-a-half to drive to Hanging Rock from my house. Even today, the location is unchanged and instantly recognisable from the film. Last year I walked up to the top, following the steep, curving paths, winding my way through an eerie mist...

The book by Joan Lindsay, upon which the movie was based, is also worth a look--an Australian classic of subtle strangeness...

"Reality is the shadow of the word." -- Bruno Schulz
Bleak&Icy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008   #6
paeng
Grimscribe
Points: 50,804, Level: 100 Points: 50,804, Level: 100 Points: 50,804, Level: 100
Activity: 99% Activity: 99% Activity: 99%
Send a message via ICQ to paeng Send a message via AIM to paeng Send a message via MSN to paeng Send a message via Yahoo to paeng

This film was mentioned a few times in several threads but I'm glad it now has its own. I saw it once and was reminded of some films by Antonioni, as well as Malick's Days of Heaven. And thanks very much for suggesting Machen and Company of Wolves. I'll certainly consider these in light of particular themes for a Gothic lit class.
paeng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008   #7
trieffiewiles
Chymist
Threadstarter
Points: 37,467, Level: 100 Points: 37,467, Level: 100 Points: 37,467, Level: 100
Activity: 33% Activity: 33% Activity: 33%

Paeng - I'd never heard of Days of Heaven , if . . .Hanging Rock made you think of it then I'll have to check it out.

Bleak & Icy - If you live that close to the Hanging Rock, then I must say, you live amidst a very beautiful land.
trieffiewiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016   #8
paeng
Grimscribe
Points: 50,804, Level: 100 Points: 50,804, Level: 100 Points: 50,804, Level: 100
Activity: 99% Activity: 99% Activity: 99%
Send a message via ICQ to paeng Send a message via AIM to paeng Send a message via MSN to paeng Send a message via Yahoo to paeng

"Why I'm wary of a 'Picnic at Hanging Rock' remake" Why I'm wary of a 'Picnic at Hanging Rock' remake
paeng is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks From:
miguel1984 (09-27-2016)
Old 09-27-2016   #9
Robert Adam Gilmour
Grimscribe
Points: 63,009, Level: 100 Points: 63,009, Level: 100 Points: 63,009, Level: 100

A book about the missing chapter.
The Secret of Hanging Rock By Joan Lindsay--Fright.com review

Robert Adam Gilmour is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks From:
miguel1984 (09-27-2016)
Old 09-27-2016   #10
Robin Davies
Grimscribe
Points: 31,005, Level: 100 Points: 31,005, Level: 100 Points: 31,005, Level: 100

Quote Originally Posted by paeng View Post
"Why I'm wary of a 'Picnic at Hanging Rock' remake" Why I'm wary of a 'Picnic at Hanging Rock' remake
Oh FFS! Can't they leave anything alone?
Robin Davies is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks From:
miguel1984 (09-27-2016)