THE NIGHTMARE NETWORK
Go Back   THE NIGHTMARE NETWORK > Miscellanea > Off Topic
Home Forums Content Contagion Members Media Diversion Info Register

Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes Translate
Old 03-13-2005   #1
dr. locrian
Town Manager
Quotes: 2
Points: 150,306, Level: 100 Points: 150,306, Level: 100 Points: 150,306, Level: 100
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Activity: 25% Activity: 25% Activity: 25%
"The Wreck of the Aetherwing"

No, I'm not talking about the sudden, preternatural dissolution of my dear friend, Aetherwing (AKA James DeWitt)!

Rather, I'm proud to announce the debut of Jimmy's first professional story in The Night Land, a website devoted to William Hope Hodgson's epic novel of the same name (the literary masterpiece that H.P. Lovecraft himself called "One of the most potent pieces of macabre imagination ever written").

"The Wreck of the Aetherwing" by James DeWitt is a fantastic short story based in the world of WHH's The Night Land.

Please check it out at http://home.clara.net/andywrobertson...g.html#content

Scroll down a bit, and you'll find a link to Jimmy's excellent tale of horrific adventure! Congratulations and good show, old bean! ;D

"Thomas Ligotti is a master of a different order, practically a different species. He probably couldn’t fake it if he tried, and he never tries. He writes like horror incarnate.”
—Terrence Rafferty, New York Times Book Review
dr. locrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2005   #2
Aetherwing
Chymist
Quotes: 0
Points: 17,202, Level: 90 Points: 17,202, Level: 90 Points: 17,202, Level: 90
Level up: 72% Level up: 72% Level up: 72%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Re: "The Wreck of the Aetherwing"

Thanks for the kind words, Doc! I worked hard on that story, and to all you writers out there...hats off to you! It is NOT an easy task of leisure, as some critics have suggested.

At any rate, anyone who reads my tale, I hope you enjoy it, and thanks again, Doc.

-Jimmy

"The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite insane."

-Nikola Tesla, July of 1934
Aetherwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2005   #3
dr. locrian
Town Manager
Threadstarter
Points: 150,306, Level: 100 Points: 150,306, Level: 100 Points: 150,306, Level: 100

Thank you! "The Wreck" is not only very well written and highly imaginative--it also has some nice Lovecraftian (and even Ligottian) elements woven throughout (e.g. the foul Elik-puppet-thing <shudder>).

"Thomas Ligotti is a master of a different order, practically a different species. He probably couldn’t fake it if he tried, and he never tries. He writes like horror incarnate.”
Old 03-13-2005   #4
Aetherwing
Chymist

Easy to see what Masters have influenced me, isn't it?

BTW, the Elik-Thing is also a homage to John Carpenter's PRINCE OF DARKNESS. The bit where Wyndham delivers his message?

Suddenly and Preternaturally Disoluting,
-Aether

"The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite insane."

Old 03-13-2005   #5
dr. locrian
Town Manager
Threadstarter

Hello? Hello? I've got a message for you. And you're not going to like it. Pray for death.

Yep! Thought about that line during my last read! Very cool.

Old 03-13-2005   #6
matt cardin
Grimscribe
Points: 74,627, Level: 100 Points: 74,627, Level: 100 Points: 74,627, Level: 100

Congratulations on seeing this story finally published, Jimmy! (Or Aether -- I'm amenable to both. Wink ) I certainly enjoyed it myself. In terms of pure storytelling and atmosphere, I think it's quite an accomplished piece, especially for a first publication. Which means that I found it a very enjoyable read. I also think you did a nice job of maintaining the elevated heroic prose style in which you chose to present the tale. (Perhaps this is derived from Hodgson's original source novel; as you know, I've not read it.) Ditto for your your presentation of the characters in such broad, epic-heroic strokes.

I hadn't thought of the PRINCE OF DARKNESS connection, but of course it seems obvious now that it's been mentioned. In truth, when I read that scene, especially the description of the Elik-thing's first appearance, I flashed for a moment on Captain Picard's assimilation into the Borg on STAR TREK: THE NEXT GENERATION.

And while we're talking influences, am I on-track or off-base in thinking that I might have detected a whiff of STARSHIP TROOPERS in there as well? I've never read Heinlein's novel, but I enjoyed the movie adaptation, and was reminded of several scenes from it by a certain battle scene in your story.

Congratulations again. "The Wreck of the Aether-Wing" is a most impressive first showing.
matt cardin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2005   #7
Aetherwing
Chymist

Thank you, Matt!

Actually, my prose style is very dissimilar to WHH's. Mine is probably greatly influenced by sources such as Tolkien, the Icelandic Eddas, and Beowulf. Oh, and no doubt Dunsany, and Robert Howard as well.

Now that you mention STARSHIP TROOPERS, I think you may probably be correct. The battle with the Mantids in the original version was very probably subconsciously flavored by the "Bugs" from that movie. Although, the rewrite has the Mantids removed (the editor insisted...) and replaced with more aberrant adversaries.

Interesting remark about Picard/Locutus. I'd not considered it, but it is certainly reminiscent. Also, on further thought, it also seems similar to The Mouth of Sauron in some ways.

Thanks for your comments: coming from an accomplished writer such as yourself, they are very appreciated!

-Jimmy (or Aether...doesn't matter!)

Old 03-22-2005   #8
barrywood
Chymist
Points: 24,864, Level: 100 Points: 24,864, Level: 100 Points: 24,864, Level: 100

Jimmy, this is good, tight writing. I enjoyed it and to me it seems much like Ligotti's writing, but I am so new to Ligotti's that I shouldn't say things I don't know anything about. I do know you write well, Jimmy.

Barry

My story NOWHERE TO GO was published by PS PUBLISHING in a book titled POSTSCRIPTS #14 in England in 2008. Let me know if you've read it. I self-published eight short stories on audio-cassette in 1999 titled, fittingly, BARRY WOOD'S SHORT STORIES. And a few other short stories in little obscure publications -- which I forget their titles.
barrywood is offline   Reply With Quote