THE NIGHTMARE NETWORK
Go Back   THE NIGHTMARE NETWORK > Miscellanea > Off Topic > Video Games
Home Forums Content Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Contagion Members Media Diversion Info Register

Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes Translate
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #181
ToALonelyPeace
Grimscribe
Quotes: 0
Points: 22,886, Level: 100 Points: 22,886, Level: 100 Points: 22,886, Level: 100
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Activity: 99% Activity: 99% Activity: 99%
Re: Video Games

Quote Originally Posted by miguel1984 View Post
I am about to start Gabriel Knight: Sins of the Fathers 20th Anniversary Edition, after finishing the three games of the series years ago.
I plan to buy it this Christmas thank to the winter sale on GOG, but then I realize I've 15+ still untouched games in my library.

Currently playing Knock Knock made by the same developer of Pathologic. The great thing about this one (as with all their games) lies in how the story unfolds.

"Tell me how you want to die, and I'll tell you who you are. In other words, how do you fill out an empty life? With women, books, or worldly ambitions? No matter what you do, the starting point is boredom, and the end self-destruction. The emblem of our fate: the sky teeming with worms. Baudelaire taught me that life is the ecstasy of worms in the sun, and happiness the dance of worms."
---Tears and Saints, E. M. Cioran
ToALonelyPeace is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks From:
miguel1984 (3 Weeks Ago)
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #182
trieffiewiles
Chymist
Points: 30,988, Level: 100 Points: 30,988, Level: 100 Points: 30,988, Level: 100
Activity: 14% Activity: 14% Activity: 14%

Though the voiceover and the initial creature are both sort of goofy, this game looks to have some descent potential. The prospect of trying to stealthily evade that living moon made of wreckage and tentacles is definitely intriguing. That thing looks like something out of Bloodborne or Parasite Eve. Here's to hoping they change the voiceover to an inhuman language like in Sundered.

trieffiewiles is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Thanks From:
miguel1984 (3 Weeks Ago), ToALonelyPeace (3 Weeks Ago)
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #183
James
Grimscribe
Points: 20,314, Level: 98 Points: 20,314, Level: 98 Points: 20,314, Level: 98
Level up: 54% Level up: 54% Level up: 54%
Activity: 93% Activity: 93% Activity: 93%

Downloading a game called Darkwood. Not entirely sure what it is, but people I trust have given it great reviews.

'I believe in what the Germans term Ehrfurcht: reverence for things one cannot understand.'
― Robert Aickman, An Essay
James is online now   Reply With Quote
4 Thanks From:
Malachi_Constant (2 Weeks Ago), miguel1984 (2 Weeks Ago), Shadow Puppet (2 Weeks Ago), ToALonelyPeace (2 Weeks Ago)
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #184
Malachi_Constant
Mystic
Points: 8,925, Level: 65 Points: 8,925, Level: 65 Points: 8,925, Level: 65
Level up: 59% Level up: 59% Level up: 59%
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%

Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
Downloading a game called Darkwood. Not entirely sure what it is, but people I trust have given it great reviews.

I played it in very early access and haven't yet revisited it. It was pretty cool then and I hear it's only gotten better since a lot has been added.

Justin Steele

The Arkham Digest
Malachi_Constant is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks From:
Shadow Puppet (2 Weeks Ago)
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #185
James
Grimscribe
Points: 20,314, Level: 98 Points: 20,314, Level: 98 Points: 20,314, Level: 98
Level up: 54% Level up: 54% Level up: 54%
Activity: 93% Activity: 93% Activity: 93%

It has a nice atmosphere so far. Just wish it would stop crashing whenever I try and use my PS4 controller. Probably a bad driver issue on my end.

I beat the RE7 Not a Hero DLC, which continued the general decline in RE7 quality since the final Jack Baker fight of the main game. Can't say I'm too excited for the RE2 remake – if that's even still happening.

'I believe in what the Germans term Ehrfurcht: reverence for things one cannot understand.'
― Robert Aickman, An Essay

Last edited by James; 2 Weeks Ago at 08:49 AM..
James is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Days Ago   #186
Robert Adam Gilmour
Grimscribe
Points: 23,289, Level: 100 Points: 23,289, Level: 100 Points: 23,289, Level: 100
Activity: 43% Activity: 43% Activity: 43%

I have a feeling this has been posted already but I couldn't find it in search engine. Looks fantastic, if they can do this sprite art why can't Bloodstained?

Robert Adam Gilmour is offline   Reply With Quote
3 Thanks From:
EmptyAutomata (1 Day Ago), miguel1984 (2 Days Ago), ToALonelyPeace (2 Days Ago)
Old 2 Days Ago   #187
trieffiewiles
Chymist
Points: 30,988, Level: 100 Points: 30,988, Level: 100 Points: 30,988, Level: 100
Activity: 14% Activity: 14% Activity: 14%

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Adam Gilmour View Post
Blasphemous - Game Trailer - YouTube
I have a feeling this has been posted already but I couldn't find it in search engine. Looks fantastic, if they can do this sprite art why can't Bloodstained?
I agree that it looks interesting, like a 2D Bloodborne of sorts. I think one of the main reasons Bloodstained is all 3D polygon as opposed to sprites is that even though the project was crowdfunded and is trying to steer clear of the AAA malarkey that's destroyed so many of Konami's 'intellectual' properties (RIP Silent Hill), everyone whose actually involved with Bloodstained is still AAA-type talent, and people from the mainstream wing of the industry have long since moved away from using sprites.

Which is not to say I disagree with you. Its too bad older modes are so out of fashion, because artwork using sprites can often look far more compelling and seem far less blatantly synthetic. A lot of these purely polygon characters one sees nowadays seem so similar to Max Headroom, they become unintentionally hilarious. I think its mainly a case of the former Castlevania people involved being far too connected to AAA for better or worse, to be able to find any decent underground talent.
trieffiewiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks From:
Robert Adam Gilmour (2 Days Ago)
Old 2 Days Ago   #188
Robert Adam Gilmour
Grimscribe
Points: 23,289, Level: 100 Points: 23,289, Level: 100 Points: 23,289, Level: 100

I think there's still a big audience for properly 2d games, there's a palpable disappointment from a lot of fans when certain games "give in" to 3d. A lot of people held out hope that Street Fighter 4, Splatterhouse 4 and Bloodstained would be proper 2d. Once they go 3d it seems impossible they'll go back unless it's a big phenomenon with multiple versions like Sonic, Mario and Zelda.

I think the main issue is time. The time it taken to animate characters in King Of Fighters 12 & 13 was alarming and it didn't pay off so they switched to 3d for KOF14. Castlevania nearly always had a lot of pixels from previous games.

I heard Owlboy was a flop though, which is strange because it seemed very warmly received.

Robert Adam Gilmour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Day Ago   #189
EmptyAutomata
Mannikin
Points: 578, Level: 11 Points: 578, Level: 11 Points: 578, Level: 11
Level up: 56% Level up: 56% Level up: 56%

This game looks astonishing. The pixel art and all the depraved design based on the Inquisition just blow my mind. Knowing this game comes directly from the creators of The Last Door -a great lovecraftian point and click game, if anyone haven't played it, this truly horror piece really deserves to be experienced- I definitely have so many expectations on it.

Futility arises out of the grim suspicion that, behind the shroud of causality we drape over the world, there is only the indifference of what exists or doesn’t exist; whatever you do ultimately leads to no end, an irrevocable chasm between thought and world.-"Cosmic Pessimism" by Eugene Thacker
EmptyAutomata is offline   Reply With Quote
4 Thanks From:
miguel1984 (1 Day Ago), Mr. Veech (1 Day Ago), Robert Adam Gilmour (1 Day Ago), ToALonelyPeace (1 Day Ago)
Old 1 Day Ago   #190
Mr. Veech
Grimscribe
Points: 11,884, Level: 75 Points: 11,884, Level: 75 Points: 11,884, Level: 75
Level up: 45% Level up: 45% Level up: 45%
Activity: 99% Activity: 99% Activity: 99%

Quote Originally Posted by EmptyAutomata View Post
This game looks astonishing. The pixel art and all the depraved design based on the Inquisition just blow my mind. Knowing this game comes directly from the creators of The Last Door -a great lovecraftian point and click game, if anyone haven't played it, this truly horror piece really deserves to be experienced- I definitely have so many expectations on it.

Having played The Last Door, I can also recommend it. It's very much a sort of passion project for those interested in weird fiction.

"In a less scientific age, he would have been a devil-worshipper, a partaker in the abominations of the Black Mass; or would have given himself to the study and practice of sorcery. His was a religious soul that had failed to find good in the scheme of things; and lacking it, was impelled to make of evil itself an object of secret reverence."

~ Clark Ashton Smith, "The Devotee of Evil"
Mr. Veech is offline   Reply With Quote
3 Thanks From:
EmptyAutomata (1 Day Ago), miguel1984 (1 Day Ago), ToALonelyPeace (1 Day Ago)