THE NIGHTMARE NETWORK
Go Back   THE NIGHTMARE NETWORK > Miscellanea > Rants & Ravings
Home Forums Content Contagion Members Media Diversion Info Register

Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes Translate
Old 04-24-2014   #11
gveranon
Grimscribe
Quotes: 0
Points: 43,580, Level: 100 Points: 43,580, Level: 100 Points: 43,580, Level: 100
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Re: Transcending complacency on super intelligent machines

Quote Originally Posted by Druidic View Post
I thought that was a Fredric Brown story called "Answer".--Robin Davies
It might well have been both. Sometimes artists hit on the same idea simultaneously. I swear I remember the old Gahan cartoon in F&SF in late 60's...sign of the time, the computer was drawn huge. It could be possible I'm confusing a similar cartoon with Brown's story. Liked Brown but can't recall reading that particular story.
There is also Asimov's short story "The Last Question," in which the universe is nearing heat-death, and the descendents of humanity are imploring the latest, most advanced computer for an answer to the problem of entropy, and the computer says "LET THERE BE LIGHT!"
gveranon is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks From:
Druidic (04-24-2014)
Old 04-24-2014   #12
qcrisp
Grimscribe
Threadstarter
Points: 125,626, Level: 100 Points: 125,626, Level: 100 Points: 125,626, Level: 100

There's also the story 'The Nine Billion Names of God', by Arthur C. Clarke, in which - I read this when I was about twelve, so may have the details wrong - someone visits a monastery in Tibet where there is a super computer calculating the nine billion names of God. As he descends the mountain after his visit, he looks up in the sky and sees the stars disappear one by one and realises that they have finally found the last name.

Absolutely candid, carefree, but straightforward speech becomes possible for the first time when one speaks of the highest." - Friedrich Schlegel
qcrisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks From:
Druidic (04-24-2014)
Old 04-24-2014   #13
Druidic
Grimscribe
Points: 77,541, Level: 100 Points: 77,541, Level: 100 Points: 77,541, Level: 100
Activity: 71% Activity: 71% Activity: 71%

Clarke's story was a good one.

ROBIN--I think you're right. I may have confused another old Gahan classic like the one with scientists sacrificing animals Old Testament style to a giant computer. When I was a kid I read everything so I must have read Brown's story.

40+ years and the chronic use of painkillers can take a toll on memory. Like Wilmarth, I once had an almost infallible memory.

Ah well.
Druidic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014   #14
klarkash
Mystic
Points: 13,551, Level: 80 Points: 13,551, Level: 80 Points: 13,551, Level: 80
Level up: 29% Level up: 29% Level up: 29%
Activity: 25% Activity: 25% Activity: 25%

Why posit any volition or "will" to do or be anything at all, on the part of a hypothetical AI?

I always try to remember the roots of the modern computer: Office supplies and cash registers. This is the same reason I don't stand in awe of the internet.

(yeah yeah I know, I'm being facetious. The PC's roots also extend to telecommunications and the military)

klarkash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014   #15
Speaking Mute
Chymist
Points: 12,806, Level: 78 Points: 12,806, Level: 78 Points: 12,806, Level: 78
Level up: 16% Level up: 16% Level up: 16%

Quote Originally Posted by klarkash View Post
Why posit any volition or "will" to do or be anything at all, on the part of a hypothetical AI?

I always try to remember the roots of the modern computer: Office supplies and cash registers. This is the same reason I don't stand in awe of the internet.

(yeah yeah I know, I'm being facetious. The PC's roots also extend to telecommunications and the military)
Dumb AI - a nice oxymoron, I think - is maybe more scary than the human-like AI more commonly imagined.

I forget the name of the story, but Philip K. Dick had a nice story where the planet was destroyed by war-time robots that harvested resources and produced consumer goods - and kept on doing so, despite every human effort to do so.
Speaking Mute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014   #16
Karnos
Chymist
Points: 25,491, Level: 100 Points: 25,491, Level: 100 Points: 25,491, Level: 100
Activity: 75% Activity: 75% Activity: 75%

I still remain skeptical of the gloomy capacities of machines as predicted by Hugo de Garis or Hans Moravec.

Apparently we're going through a golden age of computer tech, and yet the best I've got is wondows 8? That thing crashed on me yesterday while I was writing a fairly basic, image-free, article for an online magazine.

I think that an immensely more interesting situation, from a narrative perspective, would be if, like de Garis claims, this huge ideological war broke up, the Cosmists win and latter discover that there is some unknown limit we just can't break rendering super smart, god-like, intelligences impossible to build.

"Oh, crap, guys! I guess Voltaire was wrong! At least we fixed the overpopulation problem, right? Right?"

I'm more scared about the very human faces behind the monitors, writing the bills and passing them to congress. I may not be American, but what goes there goes in the rest of the West. Some guy, not a computer, will write (if he hasn't written it already) a bill to approve civilian assassinations via drones, prone to glitches, no less.

The moment the status of "terrorist" is updated to encompass a much wider, fussier, global demographic, it'll be open season for a lot of us.

Anyway, people die...
-Current 93

I am simply an accident. Why take it all so seriously?
-Emil Cioran
Karnos is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Thanks From:
bendk (06-06-2014), qcrisp (06-06-2014)
Old 06-06-2014   #17
Acutely decayed
Grimscribe
Points: 17,029, Level: 90 Points: 17,029, Level: 90 Points: 17,029, Level: 90
Level up: 23% Level up: 23% Level up: 23%
Activity: 25% Activity: 25% Activity: 25%

I seem to remember from Greene or some pop-sci book that the highest available information density for a finite space would be a black-hole equivalent – (reflected in the surface area size of the event-horizon?) can’t be bothered looking this up, but it appeals aesthetically for a future overlord at least… and black suns are topical

"My imagination functions better if don't have to deal with people" - Patricia Highsmith
Acutely decayed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014   #18
Allyson
Mystic
Points: 8,732, Level: 64 Points: 8,732, Level: 64 Points: 8,732, Level: 64
Level up: 94% Level up: 94% Level up: 94%
Activity: 43% Activity: 43% Activity: 43%
Send a message via AIM to Allyson

'I'm more scared about the very human faces behind the monitors, writing the bills and passing them to congress. I may not be American, but what goes there goes in the rest of the West. Some guy, not a computer, will write (if he hasn't written it already) a bill to approve civilian assassinations via drones, prone to glitches, no less.

The moment the status of "terrorist" is updated to encompass a much wider, fussier, global demographic, it'll be open season for a lot of us.'

I think you right.
Allyson is offline   Reply With Quote