THE NIGHTMARE NETWORK
Go Back   THE NIGHTMARE NETWORK > Discussion & Interpretation > Thomas Ligotti > General Discussion
Home Forums Content Contagion Members Media Diversion Info Register

Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes Translate
Old 05-31-2016   #1
Nirvana In Karma
Quotes:
Topic Nominated Slate.com on Social Justice and the English Literary Canon

I came across this article on the literature subreddit. Albeit a bit condescending, I think raises excellent points.
Yale students want to remake the English Major requirements, but there's no escaping white male poets in the canon.
6 Thanks From:
bendk (05-31-2016), Fenris Technique (06-01-2016), miguel1984 (05-31-2016), Robert Adam Gilmour (05-31-2016), symbolique (05-31-2016), ToALonelyPeace (05-31-2016)
Old 05-31-2016   #2
Liam Barden
Acolyte
Quotes: 0
Points: 3,785, Level: 40 Points: 3,785, Level: 40 Points: 3,785, Level: 40
Level up: 90% Level up: 90% Level up: 90%
Activity: 14% Activity: 14% Activity: 14%
Re: Slate.com on Social Justice and the English Literary Canon

"Here’s the thing, though. If you want to become well-versed in English literature, you’re going to have to hold your nose and read a lot of white male poets. Like, a lot. More than eight." - SLATE

LOL

I recently completed a BA in Anthropology & Sociology / Literary & Cultural Studies . . . So, allow me a piece of advice of a type I know well.

Read poems, novels and short stories OF YOUR CHOICE, outside academia.

You can teach yourself everything you need to know about literature simply by READING FOR PLEASURE.

Maybe re-watch Dead Poets Society, Robin Williams knew all about the cancer of academic criticism, and so did Nietzsche:

Scholars who basically spend all their time poring over books ultimately become completely unable to think for themselves. They spend all their energy saying yes and no, criticizing what other people have already thought.
— Friedrich Nietzsche, Ecce Homo

The special quality of hell is to see everything clearly down to the last detail. And to see all that in the pitch darkness!
- Yukio Mishima, The Temple of the Golden Pavilion

Last edited by Liam Barden; 05-31-2016 at 09:38 AM..
Liam Barden is offline   Reply With Quote
9 Thanks From:
bendk (05-31-2016), Fenris Technique (06-01-2016), Jeff Coleman (06-01-2016), Justin Isis (05-31-2016), Kevin (05-31-2016), miguel1984 (05-31-2016), Nirvana In Karma (05-31-2016), ToALonelyPeace (05-31-2016), waffles (05-31-2016)
Old 05-31-2016   #3
Nirvana In Karma
Quotes:

Quote Originally Posted by Liam Barden View Post
[I]Read poems, novels and short stories OF YOUR CHOICE, outside academia.

You can teach yourself everything you need to know about literature simply by READING FOR PLEASURE.
I don't think so, at least not ipso facto. I personally have, indeed, learned more about the field of literature on my own time than in formal instruction, but this is probably due to my preference of reading literary fiction and the occasional literary criticism. A person who reads only popular bestsellers probably not learn "everything you need to know about literature" than someone who prefers to read the former. Otherwise, I agree; Pope's essay still holds weight today, and I wonder if Harold Bloom ever ponders on sleepless nights: "One of my heroes has deeply insulted me a good two centuries before I was born..."

Connecting your sentiments with the initial topic, I generally prefer to read the Canon of the Weird, the Surrealists, and the Obscure more so than that of the Bourgeois, the Realists, and the Popular. But, inevitably, my preferred canons are on some level influenced by the canons of the status quo: no Lovecraft without Poe without Byron without Shakespeare without Chaucer without Dante without Ovid without Homer.

Literature, to me, operates like a phylogenetic tree; as biologists can determine the common ancestry of an organism through fossils and molecular evidence, so a reader, critic, or historian can determine a work's literary ancestry. The transitional forms were likely authored by somebody with odious views from an odious time, but they were a necessary step to produce the present work.
7 Thanks From:
bendk (05-31-2016), Justin Isis (05-31-2016), klarkash (06-01-2016), miguel1984 (05-31-2016), Murony_Pyre (06-20-2016), symbolique (06-01-2016), ToALonelyPeace (05-31-2016)
Old 05-31-2016   #4
Liam Barden
Acolyte
Points: 3,785, Level: 40 Points: 3,785, Level: 40 Points: 3,785, Level: 40
Level up: 90% Level up: 90% Level up: 90%
Activity: 14% Activity: 14% Activity: 14%

I don't think so, at least not ipso facto. I personally have, indeed, learned more about the field of literature on my own time than in formal instruction, but this is probably due to my preference of reading literary fiction and the occasional literary criticism. A person who reads only popular bestsellers probably not learn "everything you need to know about literature" than someone who prefers to read the former. Otherwise, I agree
I should have been more specific, but that's basically what I meant, in an extremely individualistic sense.

I'm only interested in learning "everything I need to know about literature" in relation to the writers of my choice – Mishima, Céline, Burroughs, Bloy, Ligotti, Isis, Houellebecq, etc . . . and all the while I'm simultaneously discovering a lot of the writers that influenced their work . . . I've bundled their taxon and traced their phyla without any academic assistance. My lecturers taught me nothing, they just hijack literature for SJW appropriation, LOL, but let's not get into that.

Anyway, take my old man for instance. He reads a lot, but mostly only war novels. He has no interest in the history of literature, just playing saxophone, drinking wine and reading war novels. He's your average cis-white malestrom who reads solely for pleasure and little else.

"Literature is entertainment or it is nothing" – Thomas Ligotti

I think someone who is truly eager to understand the history of literature, someone enrolling as an English Major, is better off self-educating, than paying big $$$ to slough through a list of books they could easily read at home. Secondary material is all available online . . .

The special quality of hell is to see everything clearly down to the last detail. And to see all that in the pitch darkness!
- Yukio Mishima, The Temple of the Golden Pavilion

Last edited by Liam Barden; 06-01-2016 at 11:50 AM..
Liam Barden is offline   Reply With Quote
7 Thanks From:
bendk (05-31-2016), Fenris Technique (06-01-2016), Justin Isis (05-31-2016), Kevin (05-31-2016), miguel1984 (05-31-2016), Nirvana In Karma (05-31-2016), ToALonelyPeace (05-31-2016)
Old 05-31-2016   #5
ToALonelyPeace
Grimscribe
Points: 71,635, Level: 100 Points: 71,635, Level: 100 Points: 71,635, Level: 100
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Activity: 50% Activity: 50% Activity: 50%

Some of the phrases here puzzle me. What is "polyamorous green"? What is "cis" ?
Looking at Yale courses, "Readings in American Literature" seems more inclusive with the presence of Dickinson, O'Connor and Cormac McCarthy. I doubt one year of white-male-only poems is going to make "students feel so alienated they get up and leave the room or the major" (from the petition).
Reading the course descriptions remind me of the prime reason why I did not choose an English major: the common themes. Religion, sex, politics, culture, or environment are all scalpels prepared for dissection. You don't read or value the words because of what they mean to you, but what they mean for these themes (and your grades). Moreover, the reading time for each book gets shorter and your enjoyment decreases until every book becomes an assignment you can't wait to get over.

"Tell me how you want to die, and I'll tell you who you are. In other words, how do you fill out an empty life? With women, books, or worldly ambitions? No matter what you do, the starting point is boredom, and the end self-destruction. The emblem of our fate: the sky teeming with worms. Baudelaire taught me that life is the ecstasy of worms in the sun, and happiness the dance of worms."
---Tears and Saints, E. M. Cioran
ToALonelyPeace is offline   Reply With Quote
4 Thanks From:
bendk (05-31-2016), Kevin (05-31-2016), Liam Barden (05-31-2016), miguel1984 (05-31-2016)
Old 05-31-2016   #6
childeroland
Mannikin
Points: 8,704, Level: 64 Points: 8,704, Level: 64 Points: 8,704, Level: 64
Level up: 85% Level up: 85% Level up: 85%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Quote Originally Posted by ToALonelyPeace View Post
Some of the phrases here puzzle me. What is "polyamorous green"? What is "cis" ?
Looking at Yale courses, "Readings in American Literature" seems more inclusive with the presence of Dickinson, O'Connor and Cormac McCarthy. I doubt one year of white-male-only poems is going to make "students feel so alienated they get up and leave the room or the major" (from the petition).
Reading the course descriptions remind me of the prime reason why I did not choose an English major: the common themes. Religion, sex, politics, culture, or environment are all scalpels prepared for dissection. You don't read or value the words because of what they mean to you, but what they mean for these themes (and your grades). Moreover, the reading time for each book gets shorter and your enjoyment decreases until every book becomes an assignment you can't wait to get over.
Cis means your gender identity aligns with the biological sex you were born with -- it's the opposite of transgendered.

No idea what polyamorous green means.
childeroland is offline   Reply With Quote
3 Thanks From:
miguel1984 (05-31-2016), Nirvana In Karma (05-31-2016), ToALonelyPeace (06-01-2016)
Old 05-31-2016   #7
Robert Adam Gilmour
Grimscribe
Points: 63,009, Level: 100 Points: 63,009, Level: 100 Points: 63,009, Level: 100
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Activity: 50% Activity: 50% Activity: 50%

I think the green part means environmentally conscious. Polyamorous is the opposite of monogamy.

Robert Adam Gilmour is offline   Reply With Quote
3 Thanks From:
miguel1984 (05-31-2016), Nirvana In Karma (05-31-2016), ToALonelyPeace (06-01-2016)
Old 05-31-2016   #8
Kevin
Grimscribe
Points: 19,665, Level: 96 Points: 19,665, Level: 96 Points: 19,665, Level: 96
Level up: 92% Level up: 92% Level up: 92%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Death to anti-white, anti-male bigotry.

Put your faith in God; he won't expect you.
Put your faith in death, because it's free.
If you believe in nothing, honey, it believes in you.
-Robyn Hitchcock
Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Thanks From:
Fenris Technique (06-01-2016), miguel1984 (05-31-2016)
Old 05-31-2016   #9
Nirvana In Karma
Quotes:

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
Death to anti-white, anti-male bigotry.
Where did you get the idea that this article, or even the demands of these students, is promoting anti-white or anti-male sentiment? Nothing in the article aroused any suspicions of those sorts on my end.

Or was it a sarcastic comment?
Thanks From:
miguel1984 (05-31-2016)
Old 05-31-2016   #10
Nirvana In Karma
Quotes:

Quote Originally Posted by ToALonelyPeace View Post
Looking at Yale courses, "Readings in American Literature" seems more inclusive with the presence of Dickinson, O'Connor and Cormac McCarthy.
Is McCarthy gay or bisexual? I admit I've barely read any interviews with him.
I doubt one year of white-male-only poems is going to make "students feel so alienated they get up and leave the room or the major"
Perhaps it would if, hypothetically, they read deeply racist vitriol all course, like HPL's "Creation" poem or Kipling's "The White Man's Burden"... but since that doesn't seem to reflect the reality of most lit courses, if it does drive the students away then perhaps the students don't enjoy reading as much as they thought they did, and in that case changing their major would be the best course of action.
I see merit in actively combing through a book for these things, as it gives insight about the author and his/her reaction to stimuli in their environment; but that was largely my experience, too, ToALonelyPeace.
Thanks From:
miguel1984 (05-31-2016)