THE NIGHTMARE NETWORK
Go Back   THE NIGHTMARE NETWORK > Discussion & Interpretation > The Repository > Online Literature > Selections by Thomas Ligotti
Home Forums Content Contagion Members Media Diversion Info Register
Comment

Article Tools Search this Article Display Modes Translate
Thomas Wiloch 1953-2008: A Personal Tribute by Thomas Ligotti
Published by YellowJester
09-05-2008

On September 4, Thomas Wiloch collapsed at his home and died from a probable heart attack. Among other laudatory things that could be said of Tom is that he was a great artist of the prose poem. He was in fact one of the greatest the literary world has known, even if that world did not know it....
25 Thanks From:
By MadsPLP on 09-19-2008
Re: Thomas Wiloch 1953-2008: A Personal Tribute by Thomas Ligotti

As usual, sad as it is, dying seems to be the best way for an artist to make people aware of the artist's work. I've just received my copy of Mr. Templeton's Toyshop, though I hardly had heard Wiloch's name before his demise.

It's all quite sad, isn't it?
By Dr. Valzer on 09-24-2008

Thank you for sharing this, Tom. Ironically, I read your selections in THE BOOK OF LISTS: HORROR for the first time last week and thus just learned of Thomas Wiloch's work. A shame he is no longer with us.
By Michael J. Lotus on 01-04-2009

I was very sad to see this. I was online looking for an address to send a (late) Christmas card to Tom Wiloch. I had been sending him one every year for about twenty years, and I heard back from him from time to time.

Wiloch, as Tom Ligotti said, was a positive genius of the prose poem. Tom also produced some very nice artwork as well.

I published two issues of Nocturne magazine back in 1987 and 1988. Tom Wiloch was one of the first people I contacted, and his enthusiasm and encouragement were essential to the production of Nocturne, which was a lot of fun. We had some items by Wiloch as well as a typo-riddled version of a story by Tom Ligotti. (unfortunately, I had not yet learned to copy-edit)

My good friend Harry O. Morris recently died. Harry did a lot of illustrations for small press horror stories, but he got started with Nocturne.
By hopfrog on 01-05-2009

My good friend Harry O. Morris recently died. Harry did a lot of illustrations for small press horror stories, but he got started with Nocturne.
Michael -- are you certain that Harry just died? I spoke to Jerad on the phone recently, and he told me that Harry's wife recently died in a tragic bus accident; but Harry was still alive and in great mourning -- but still with us. Jerad is great friends with Harry and was planning on getting Harry to illustrate my forthcoming Centipede Press collection. If you are indeed correct -- I am in shock and deeply saddened.
By Ascrobius on 01-05-2009

I too knew of Harry's wife's (Christine's) passing away not long ago in a tragic accident, and I hope that perhaps there is some confusion here. I spoke with Harry within the last week or so, and I hope that this is simply an error and that there isn't tragic news that's failed to reach me up to this point for some reason. I almost fell over last night when I read this and again, of course, hoping that it is not true.
Tim
By Ascrobius on 01-05-2009

I too knew of Harry's wife's (Christine's) passing away not long ago in a tragic accident, and I hope that perhaps there is some confusion here. I spoke with Harry within the last week or so, and I hope that this is simply an error and that there isn't tragic news that's failed to reach me up to this point for some reason. I almost fell over last night when I read this and again, of course, hoping that it is not true.
Tim

__________________________________________________ ___________
7:58 am

It sounds like this was indeed a mix-up. I spoke with Tom this morning just to make sure, and it seems that there was some confusion on the part of the original poster, Michael Lotus. Anyhow, hopefully that clears that up.
Tim
Comment