THE NIGHTMARE NETWORK
Go Back   THE NIGHTMARE NETWORK > Discussion & Interpretation > Other Authors
Home Forums Content Contagion Members Media Diversion Info Register

Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes Translate
Old 03-10-2017   #41
qcrisp
Grimscribe
Quotes: 0
Points: 125,626, Level: 100 Points: 125,626, Level: 100 Points: 125,626, Level: 100
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Re: The William Hope Hodgson thread

I read a long post complaining about how the positive depiction of witches heralds the decline of civilisation. While there were flickers of eloquence at the edges, I had the distinct feeling that, in John C. Wright's ideal world, people like me would not exist. Then again, he seemed to be claiming he was on the side of tolerance. Perhaps the best I can say in the time it takes for my tea to brew is that it's a confusing world we live in.

Absolutely candid, carefree, but straightforward speech becomes possible for the first time when one speaks of the highest." - Friedrich Schlegel
qcrisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks From:
Hidden X (03-10-2017)
Old 03-10-2017   #42
Hidden X
Mystic
Points: 3,579, Level: 39 Points: 3,579, Level: 39 Points: 3,579, Level: 39
Level up: 53% Level up: 53% Level up: 53%
Activity: 99% Activity: 99% Activity: 99%

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Adam Gilmour View Post
In addition to that he's lended his prestige to a movement that uses gamergate style tactics on people and allied with a far right extremist. He's still got some books coming out from Tor (the biggest fantasy publisher) but there's no doubt his career will suffer for his choices. I think he said he's having trouble buying groceries now.
His career is pretty much dead, I think. No major publisher will touch him after his current deal with Tor is done, and rightfully so. And his books obviously aren't doing that well with Vox Day's crowd, going by the number of reviews and sales rank of his more recent ones compared to their other releases.

Let him reap what he sow.
Hidden X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017   #43
Sad Marsh Ghost
Quotes:

I see such silly people as more embarrassing than offensive. Like when I first joined here and people would post a Pat Condell UKIP YouTube video as if it meant anything in a debate. Not anger inducing. Just sot of cringe worthy.
Old 03-10-2017   #44
Druidic
Grimscribe
Points: 77,541, Level: 100 Points: 77,541, Level: 100 Points: 77,541, Level: 100
Activity: 71% Activity: 71% Activity: 71%

Gratuitous insults just aren't your thing, Hidden X. You don't pull them off very well. Try something with a little wit next time. Or just try a little civility, something new.
Druidic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017   #45
Hidden X
Mystic

I tellz it as I seez it.There ain't nothing insulting in stating the obvious in this case. Unless you are just as allergic to reality as Wright is.
Old 03-10-2017   #46
Robert Adam Gilmour
Grimscribe
Threadstarter
Points: 63,009, Level: 100 Points: 63,009, Level: 100 Points: 63,009, Level: 100
Activity: 50% Activity: 50% Activity: 50%

A bit of a derail but I find Wright morbidly fascinating.

This is the first blog I read by him and it taken me a while to realise he wasn't joking.
The Hatreds of the Left s Journal
It's astounding the way he characterizes people and things he doesn't like. As if left wing creative people are driven by hatred to destroy all that is good.

These are about his most infamous posts when he talked violently about homosexuals.
In Which John C. Wright Completely Loses his #### over Legend of Korra
Obsidian Wings: John C. Wright tries to cover up that he's a wannabe gay-basher

Notice the way he talks about other people being so hateful?

There has been speculation that people in the puppy movement are sometimes exaggerating or pretending to have certain stances. Like their demonizing of preachy or fancy literary writing yet Wright and some classic authors are allowed to have some of those qualities. Or their revisionist version of a good old days of fantasy and science fiction that never existed. Their arguments rarely have any consistency.

Robert Adam Gilmour is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks From:
miguel1984 (03-10-2017)
Old 03-10-2017   #47
Druidic
Grimscribe
Points: 77,541, Level: 100 Points: 77,541, Level: 100 Points: 77,541, Level: 100
Activity: 71% Activity: 71% Activity: 71%

Robert, you really don't believe the Left talks like that against the Right LOL.
Druidic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017   #48
Hidden X
Mystic

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Adam Gilmour View Post
There has been speculation that people in the puppy movement are sometimes exaggerating or pretending to have certain stances. Like their demonizing of preachy or fancy literary writing yet Wright and some classic authors are allowed to have some of those qualities. Or their revisionist version of a good old days of fantasy and science fiction that never existed. Their arguments rarely have any consistency.
Yeah, they used to whine how new SF is not on par with Asimov or Heinlein and how we need more hard SF... and now they are attacking Asimov and hard SF in general.

I really is nothing more than Vox Day's PR stunt at this point and, unfortunately, it seems to be working well enough for him and his small press.

Interesting thing about Wright is that he apparently enjoyed broad range of authors before his conversion. He was enthralled with Lindsay, for example, and yet from his christian point of view he now hates him:
http://www.scifiwright.com/2009/02/v...ht-to-lucifer/
Old 03-10-2017   #49
Robert Adam Gilmour
Grimscribe
Threadstarter
Points: 63,009, Level: 100 Points: 63,009, Level: 100 Points: 63,009, Level: 100
Activity: 50% Activity: 50% Activity: 50%

Druidic- there certainly is lots of scathing nonsense that lots of leftists indulge in but what's bizarre about Wright is the way he attributes deeply sinister and cartoonishly evil motives to people doing things he doesn't like. I've never seen another person take it to that extremity.

Hidden X- I think some of the other puppy people don't get on well with Day and they're still whining about how certain people are ruining science fiction and fantasy.
There's often a sense that they've predecided what the current popular lefty authors do and then try to find evidence to back that up. When some of them read a contemporary lefty author, they're not discovering what the book is like, they're just looking for confirmation and ammo to support their stance.
Day has previously said he's a big fan of China Mieville, Iain M Banks and Tanith Lee despite his hatred of all the things they stand for politically. I don't know if he still admits to liking them or not. Would he give their modern equivalents a chance?

Robert Adam Gilmour is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks From:
miguel1984 (03-10-2017)
Old 03-11-2017   #50
Hidden X
Mystic

Well, Day asked his fans to vote for This Census-Taker for the next Hugo. He still mentions Mieville as one the greatest modern fantasists. Plus, he mentioned that This Census-Taker reminded him of Bruno Schulz, which would imply that he is a Schulz fan himself.And I think that he recently mentioned Lee as one of all time greatest fantasy authors, so his opinion hasn't changed there.His personal tastes are obviously far removed from what he promotes, just another proof of his utter dishonesty.