THE NIGHTMARE NETWORK
Go Back   THE NIGHTMARE NETWORK > Wayward Distractions > VideoBox
Home Forums Content Contagion Members Media Diversion Info Register

Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes Translate
Old 04-29-2005   #1
barrywood
Chymist
Quotes: 0
Points: 24,864, Level: 100 Points: 24,864, Level: 100 Points: 24,864, Level: 100
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
"Video Test" of "Cat with Hands"

WARNING: SPOILER ALERT!

Dr. Bantham has posted "Cat with Hands" in the "Video Test" section and I've find it absolutely disturbing. It's short, but definitely not sweet.

I found the scene where the funny-eyed boy reaches out to cautiously pat the cat is most alarming. Perhaps the reaching out tenderly to touch a loving animal? How many children (and adults) would have tried to pat the cat?

I have an awful fear of cats and I wouldn't have patted that cat for sure. I found the whole movie, however, chilling. I've never seen anything like it. No wonder I slept with a light on last night. And of course it rained hard and the wind slapped my bedroom window.

I wonder what year that movie was made. Anyone have any history about the film itself?

What is your opinion on "Cats with Hands"?

My story NOWHERE TO GO was published by PS PUBLISHING in a book titled POSTSCRIPTS #14 in England in 2008. Let me know if you've read it. I self-published eight short stories on audio-cassette in 1999 titled, fittingly, BARRY WOOD'S SHORT STORIES. And a few other short stories in little obscure publications -- which I forget their titles.
barrywood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2005   #2
Dr. Bantham
Town Manager
Quotes: 19
Points: 291,431, Level: 100 Points: 291,431, Level: 100 Points: 291,431, Level: 100
Re: "Video Test" of "Cat with Hands"

Barry,

It is Matt that should be commended for bringing this to the attention of TLO members in an early post to the forum.
CLICK HERE TO VIEW ORIGINAL TOPIC

Therein Matt discusses the director of this short and a thread subsequently unfolds. I was likewise smitten with the piece once I had a looksee and thought it would be a great selection to test the video conversion and streaming process for TLO. If it is to subsequently become accessible as a fixture within TLO, I must be sure to contact the director and beg permission. Perhaps he has more in store for us. This is a high quality piece and much more polished than "Ka", I am compelled to admit. Do not expect a level of quality comparable to this with my feeble endeavor or you are surely in for a letdown.

THOMAS LIGOTTI ONLINE
A Shining Brainless Beacon Of Elegant Mutations And Cunning Annihilations
Dr. Bantham is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks From:
Mad Madison (11-19-2014)
Old 04-29-2005   #3
barrywood
Chymist
Threadstarter
Points: 24,864, Level: 100 Points: 24,864, Level: 100 Points: 24,864, Level: 100

Thanks, Matt. You have good taste in scary stuff. It's such a short film but contains everything. There is much shock in this film, but if you look carefully, no real violence is shown. The chewing of a tongue and a man unable to speak says it all. Oh, Matt. You and I have almost the same minds in many ways. I had no idea you had previously posted about this movie and thanks to Dr. B for bringing this to my attention.

It would be good to have the film permanently on the site, Dr. B., but I understand about needing the director's permission, etc. Nonetheless it's an awesome movie.

I'm waiting to see your movie too, Dr. B., and I am sure it will have qualities in itself. I promise not to compare it to Cat with Hands, my good man.

Dr. B., I wonder where the director of this movie lives and if he is indeed contactable(?).

My story NOWHERE TO GO was published by PS PUBLISHING in a book titled POSTSCRIPTS #14 in England in 2008. Let me know if you've read it. I self-published eight short stories on audio-cassette in 1999 titled, fittingly, BARRY WOOD'S SHORT STORIES. And a few other short stories in little obscure publications -- which I forget their titles.
Old 04-29-2005   #4
matt cardin
Grimscribe
Points: 74,627, Level: 100 Points: 74,627, Level: 100 Points: 74,627, Level: 100
Activity: 25% Activity: 25% Activity: 25%
Barry, in response to your request in the ShoutBox, here's a link to an interview with Robert Morgan, the director of "The Cat with Hands":

http://www.bbc.co.uk/films/festivals...monsters.shtml

In this interview he doesn't talk about "The Cat with Hands," but about his more recent short film "Monsters." He does, however, talk about his background in film school and such.

As for contact information, I don't know, but maybe somebody could contact the interviewer. I also noticed that at the bottom of the interview page, there's a name and address for a producer in the U.K. listed as a contact "for more information." This might be a good lead for you, too, Brian, as you seek to contact Morgan for permission to archive his film here at TLO. "Monsters" might even work here; if you watch it (by following the link I provided in the original "Cat with Hands" thread to the streaming version of this movie), you'll see what I mean.

Completely off-topic: I find it amusing, for no good reason, that Robert Morgan, the animator and short film director, shares his name with the lead character played by Vincent Price in the classic B science fiction/horror movie The Last Man on Earth.
matt cardin is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks From:
Doctor Dugald Eldritch (12-06-2014)
Old 04-29-2005   #5
barrywood
Chymist
Threadstarter

Excellent, Matt. I'm preparing a letter at this very moment and will run to the post office to send it right away. Thank you. Perhaps the interviewer will forward my letter to Robert.

Thanks for your suggestion and help, Matt. As you know, I love the form of letter writing.

Barry