THE NIGHTMARE NETWORK
Go Back   THE NIGHTMARE NETWORK > Discussion & Interpretation > Quotation Forum > Themed Quotations
Home Forums Content Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Contagion Members Media Diversion Info Register

Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes Translate
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #691
In A Dark Light
Acolyte
Quotes: 0
Points: 1,598, Level: 23 Points: 1,598, Level: 23 Points: 1,598, Level: 23
Level up: 98% Level up: 98% Level up: 98%
Activity: 29% Activity: 29% Activity: 29%
Re: Pessimistic Passage of the Day...

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
Go Crumb!

"I hate modern architecture. Every building built after 1955 should be torn down!"

YES! That makes my day!!!
Explains my love for my local city of Edinburgh. It's most interesting parts are almost entirely made up of older buildings.
In A Dark Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #692
Shadow Puppet
Acolyte
Points: 20,217, Level: 98 Points: 20,217, Level: 98 Points: 20,217, Level: 98
Level up: 30% Level up: 30% Level up: 30%
Activity: 36% Activity: 36% Activity: 36%

The body is the stuttering puppet of the mind, beginning as automatic and becoming autonomous. A transference— the puppet becomes the showman.
-- The Logomachy of Zos By Austin Osman Spare

“All this buttoning and unbuttoning."
-- Anonymous, suicide note
Shadow Puppet is offline   Reply With Quote
4 Thanks From:
bendk (2 Weeks Ago), miguel1984 (2 Weeks Ago), Spiral (2 Weeks Ago), ToALonelyPeace (2 Weeks Ago)
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #693
Raul Urraca
Acolyte
Points: 2,962, Level: 35 Points: 2,962, Level: 35 Points: 2,962, Level: 35
Level up: 42% Level up: 42% Level up: 42%
Activity: 14% Activity: 14% Activity: 14%

And therefore, restless inquietude for the diuturnity of our memories unto present considerations seems a vanity almost out of date, and superannuated piece of folly. We cannot hope to live so long in our names, as some have done in their persons. One face of Janus holds no proportion unto the other. 'Tis too late to be ambitious. The great mutations of the world are acted, or time may be too short for our designs. To extend our memories by monuments, whose death we daily pray for, and whose duration we cannot hope, without injury to our expectations in the advent of the last day, were a contradiction to our beliefs. We whose generations are ordained in this setting part of time, are providentially taken off from such imaginations; and, being necessitated to eye the remaining particle of futurity, are naturally constituted unto thoughts of the next world, and cannot excusably decline the consideration of that duration, which maketh pyramids pillars of snow, and all that's past a moment.

-Sir Thomas Browne, Urne-Buriall
Raul Urraca is offline   Reply With Quote
3 Thanks From:
miguel1984 (2 Weeks Ago), Shadow Puppet (2 Weeks Ago), ToALonelyPeace (2 Weeks Ago)
Old 1 Week Ago   #694
ChildofOldLeech
Grimscribe
Points: 37,776, Level: 100 Points: 37,776, Level: 100 Points: 37,776, Level: 100
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%

“Uncouth, clannish, lumbering about the confines of Space and Time with a puzzled expression on his face and a handful of things scavenged on the way from gutters, interglacial littorals, sacked settlements and broken relationships, the Earth-human has no use for thinking except in the service of acquisition. He stands at every gate with one hand held out and the other behind his back, inventing reasons why he should be let in. From the first bunch of bananas, his every sluggish fit or dull fleabite of mental activity has prompted more, more; and his time has been spent for thousands of years in the construction and sophistication of systems of ideas that will enable him to excuse, rationalize, and moralize the grasping hand.

His dreams, those priceless comic visions he has of himself as a being with concerns beyond the material, are no more than furtive cannibals stumbling round in an uncomfortable murk of emotion, trying to eat each other. Politics, religion, ideology — desperate, edgy attempts to shift the onus of responsibility for his own actions: abdications. His hands have the largest neural representation in the somesthetic cortex, his head the smallest; but he's always trying to hide the one behind the other.”

- M. John Harrison, The Centauri Device

"When a man is born. . .there are nets flung at (his being) to hold it back from flight. You talk to me of nationality, language, religion. I shall try to fly by those nets." - James Joyce
ChildofOldLeech is offline   Reply With Quote
3 Thanks From:
miguel1984 (1 Week Ago), ToALonelyPeace (6 Days Ago), xylokopos (1 Week Ago)
Old 3 Days Ago   #695
ToALonelyPeace
Chymist
Points: 16,877, Level: 89 Points: 16,877, Level: 89 Points: 16,877, Level: 89
Level up: 80% Level up: 80% Level up: 80%
Activity: 50% Activity: 50% Activity: 50%

"Both of them-the fire under us and the lifeless cosmos above us-are just as totally meaningless, just as dependent on their "laws," just as absurdly idiotic as all other galaxies and all other stars and masses of fiery porridge which exist.
And in this lunatic world between the deadly cold and the foaming sea of fire there lives--logically enough--a lunatic humanity.
This is the Root of Evil.
On this madhouse of a planet, a madhouse from the beginning by sheer force of its meaningless existence, we wish to keep order! But as long as the totality is insane and meaningless, it's also meaningless to keep order here. But we fuss around arranging things, and we keep the Great Dread out of our lives--at least for the most part; only occasionally does the Dread awake and get the upper hand, it breaks out of the earth's seething interior and takes possession of us. We may flee into outer space, out into the endless cold, into the clear, logical, mind-forsaken universe; but we won't succeed in escaping from the earth's interior, from the seething, bubbling magma under our feet."

---from an essay titled The Witches' Revolution in Powderhouse by Jens Bjorneboe (book II of The History of Bestiality)

WORD MADE FLESH.— The relationship between thought and language is the relationship between a wound and its scar.

-Hans Abendroth
ToALonelyPeace is offline   Reply With Quote
4 Thanks From:
bendk (2 Days Ago), ChildofOldLeech (1 Day Ago), miguel1984 (2 Days Ago), Zaharoff (2 Days Ago)
Old 1 Day Ago   #696
ChildofOldLeech
Grimscribe
Points: 37,776, Level: 100 Points: 37,776, Level: 100 Points: 37,776, Level: 100
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%

" Every so often, the gods stop laughing long enough to do something terrible. There are few facts that are not brutal. The bitter, insufficient truth is that God recovered, but fun is dead.
Alcohol: the antidote to civilization. Alcoholism is a fatal disease. But then I am not a member of Alcoholics Anonymous, because I don't want to be cured. Alcoholism is suicide with training wheels. I watch myself sinking, an inch at a time, and I spit into the eye of fate, like Doc Holliday, who died too weak to lift a playing card. My traitorous and degenerate attitude is sort of my book review of the world we live in. I resign from the human race. I declare myself null and void; folded, spindled, and mutilated.
. . .This bar is an oasis for the night people, the street people, the invisible tribe, the people who simply do not exist in the orderly world we see in Time - the weekly science fiction magazine published by the Pentagon - an orderly world which is a sanitized Emerald City populated by contented Munchkins who pay taxes to buy tanks, nerve gas, and bombers and not a world which is a bus-station toilet where the air is a chemical cocktail of cancer-causing agents, children are starving, and the daily agenda is kill or be killed.
When the world demands that you be larger than life, and you are finding it hard enough just being life-size, you can come here, in the messy hemorrhaging of reality, let your hair down, take your girdle off, and not be embarrassed by your wounds and deformities. Here among the terminally disenchanted you are graded not by the size of the car on display in your driveway but by the size of your courage in the face of nameless things.
. . .Half of these people look like they just came back from the moon, and all of them are sworn witnesses for the prosecution on the charge that Earth serves as Hell for some other planet."

- Gustav Hasford, A Gypsy Good Time

"When a man is born. . .there are nets flung at (his being) to hold it back from flight. You talk to me of nationality, language, religion. I shall try to fly by those nets." - James Joyce

Last edited by ChildofOldLeech; 8 Hours Ago at 06:30 PM..
ChildofOldLeech is offline   Reply With Quote
3 Thanks From:
miguel1984 (18 Hours Ago), ToALonelyPeace (23 Hours Ago), xylokopos (19 Hours Ago)