THE NIGHTMARE NETWORK
Go Back   THE NIGHTMARE NETWORK > Discussion & Interpretation > The Repository > Online Literature > Selections by Other Authors > D. F. Lewis
Home Forums Content Contagion Members Media Diversion Info Register
Comment

Article Tools Search this Article Display Modes Translate
A Sullen Dream
A Sullen Dream
Published by Nemonymous
03-22-2011
A Sullen Dream

I intend to recount a dream from last night that was so vivid I wonder if I’m now dreaming about it. I was the protagonist of the dream. Most dreamers are, I guess. But I wonder if we take this too much for granted. The expression that kept coming to my mind during the dream was ‘spiritually empty’. The buildings in the dream’s city – i.e. a city, now, in hindsight – were grey and drained. I walked inside a church and the walls were covered in purple hangings, grey purple, so grey hardly purple at all, as if a black and white film had been mixed then stained rather than tinted. The aura of sanctity seemed off-putting as I wondered who were in the confessionals. I cannot recall any pews. I then left the church and squeezed down the end of tunnel alongside a dimly lit train that almost filled the tunnel. It was occupied by seated people, and I felt I was expected to board it and to travel in the same direction as the tunnel, i.e. in the same direction I was walking beside it feeling for a door. I could not recall any tracks leading up to the tunnel’s entrance. Eventually I managed to hoist myself aboard. The people were sullen – and perhaps now faceless, if not then. With some dread, I knew instinctively that we were all heading in the train towards a state called ‘death’. So, this was it. This was the way we all died. And nobody knows this until they do die. If I had known then that it was a dream, I assume I would have thought that I would not wake up from it but fall asleep forever in the dream’s own terms. It was then I noticed a young woman who was less sullen than the others and she appeared to be talking to me over the shoulder of another passenger. At that moment, the train started moving – not further into the tunnel as I had expected but out of the tunnel, i.e. from where I had just come.
====================================
written today and first published above
4 Thanks From:
G. S. Carnivals (03-22-2011), Joe Pulver (03-22-2011), Spotbowserfido2 (03-22-2011), yellowish haze (08-31-2011)
By Nemonymous on 04-18-2011
Re: A Sullen Dream

I've rewritten the above:

A SULLEN DREAM (revised)

A dream last night that was so vivid I wonder if I’m now dreaming about it. I was the protagonist of the dream. Most dreamers are, I guess. But I wonder if we take this too much for granted. The expression that kept coming to my mind during the dream was ‘spiritually empty’. Another phrase that kept cropping up was ‘a thin in a tin’. As spiritually empty as a thin in a tin. Not a thing in a tin: a thin in a tin. The buildings in the dream’s city – a city, now, in hindsight – were grey and drained, with flat roofs and top edges like battlements more jaggedly sharp than squarely bricked. I walked inside a church and the walls were covered in purple hangings, grey purple, so grey hardly purple at all, as if a black and white film had been mixed then stained rather than tinted. The aura of sanctity seemed off-putting as I wondered who were in the curtained-over confessionals. I seemed to know instinctively that these cubicles had people in them, but there was no evidence to prove that was the case, except for the assumed pregnant silence of private prayer after absolution. I cannot recall there being any pews in the body of the church on either side of the iconostasis. I then left the church and, later, squeezed down the end of a tunnel alongside a train that almost filled the tunnel. It seemed fully seated with people, and I felt I was expected to board it and to travel in the same direction as the tunnel, which was in the same direction I was walking, walking, walking beside the train, feeling for a door. Eventually I managed to hoist myself aboard. The people inside were sullen. I knew instinctively that we would all soon be heading towards a state called ‘death’. This was it, then. This was the way we all died. And nobody knows this until they do die. If I had known then that it was a dream, I assume I would have thought that I would never wake up from it but fall asleep forever in the dream’s own terms. It was then I noticed a thin young woman who seemed less sullen than the other passengers and I thought she was trying to talk to me over the shoulder of the passenger seated between us. But abruptly other sullen passengers squashed on board, thus making this a rush hour and I could no longer see the young woman in the shoulder-to-shoulder standing-room silence. Eventually, the train started moving – not further into the tunnel as I had expected but out of the tunnel ... into the direction from where I had just come – back into the city of battlements.
Comment