THE NIGHTMARE NETWORK
Go Back   THE NIGHTMARE NETWORK > Discussion & Interpretation > Other Authors > General Discussion
Home Forums Content Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Contagion Members Media Diversion Info Register

Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes Translate
Old 09-17-2007   #21
yellowish haze
Grimscribe
Threadstarter
Quotes: 0
Points: 57,702, Level: 100 Points: 57,702, Level: 100 Points: 57,702, Level: 100
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Re: In search of Stefan Grabinski

Here are 2 pictures of Stefan Grabinski I recently found in a journal and a booklet published in Przemysl:

This is the faculty of National High School in Przemysl. The picture was taken in August, 1919. You can see Stefan Grabinski in the lower row (second person from the left). Here is a detail:

Here is yet another picture (I have no details as to the date):

(Sources: Rocznik Przemyski t. 2006 z.3 - Tomas Pudlocki, Przemyski okres w Zyciu Stefana Grabinskiego; Julian Olszak, Spotkania Przemyskie, 1988 Przemysl)

"In my imagination, I have a small apartment in a small town where I live alone and gaze through a window at a wintry landscape." -- TL
Confusio Linguarum - visionary literature, translingualism & bibliophily
yellowish haze is offline   Reply With Quote
3 Thanks From:
bendk (11-12-2009), fluteboy (04-20-2010), G. S. Carnivals (08-26-2010)
Old 02-08-2008   #22
yellowish haze
Grimscribe
Threadstarter
Points: 57,702, Level: 100 Points: 57,702, Level: 100 Points: 57,702, Level: 100

This is a postcard with a picture of Brzuchowice train station in 1920 i just found. Grabinski's house should be somewhere in the vicinity. I find this postcard quite representative of Grabinski's life and works as it features a train arriving (postcards from Brzuchowice are not that common)!!! ;)

"In my imagination, I have a small apartment in a small town where I live alone and gaze through a window at a wintry landscape." -- TL
2 Thanks From:
bendk (12-31-2013), G. S. Carnivals (08-26-2010)
Old 03-05-2008   #23
darknessdoubled
Mannikin
Points: 5,734, Level: 51 Points: 5,734, Level: 51 Points: 5,734, Level: 51
Level up: 92% Level up: 92% Level up: 92%

Thanks for the fascinating Grabinski thread!

Have you read L.T.C. Rolt's collection, Sleep No More? I believe this collection of ghost stories also focuses on trains and train stations. Ash Tree re-issued it many years ago, but all versions of it are pretty scarce now, I believe. I haven't read it myself, but have been very curious - especially considering Rolt's links to Robert Aickman.

With regard to Polish literature, has anyone here read Magdalena Tulli? She has three novels available in English now and at least one more in Polish that has yet to be translated. She is one of the few contemporary writers whose works I feel very strongly about. I think her second novel, Moving Parts, is her masterpiece, though all three (in English) are simply magnificent. Her first book, Dreams and Stones, is absolutely beautiful and, in my mind anyway (though admittedly this may be a bit of a stretch), it serves as an excellent companion piece to Thomas Ligotti's The Red Tower and even Italo Calvino's Invisible Cities. Anyway, Tulli's books are available through the wonderful publisher, Archipelago Books in Brooklyn (Archipelago also issued Witold Gombrowicz' (another Polish giant) excellent Bacacay a few years back).
darknessdoubled is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks From:
bendk (12-31-2013)
Old 03-16-2008   #24
yellowish haze
Grimscribe
Threadstarter

Unfortunately, I haven't read Rolt's collection of train stories from Ash Tree Press. When I discovered this publisher the book was long time out of print, but I remember someone mentioning it to me.
As to Magdalena Tulli, she's on my list and I certainly can't miss her. Thanks for recommending her. Of course, I've heard this name before, but, since it is seldom that high-quality dark literature is mentioned on polish horror discussion boards, I miss a lot of good titles published in this country. Will have to start catching up on this soon.

BTW, anyone ever tried Stanisław Przybyszewski, Poland's greatest decadent? Perhaps, a separate thread will be needed to discuss some of his works. I just checked Amazon only to see that his works are not that popular in the English speaking world. Those who are interested should read Brian R. Banks' essay "Poland's Arch-decadent: Stanislaw Przybyszewski", which was published in Wormwood issue 6:
http://homepages.pavilion.co.uk/user...rmwood.htm#six

Thanks From:
bendk (12-31-2013)
Old 03-20-2008   #25
albie
Banned
Points: 8,105, Level: 62 Points: 8,105, Level: 62 Points: 8,105, Level: 62
Level up: 85% Level up: 85% Level up: 85%

http://members.aol.com/eurosin/grot.html

I found one of his stories on-line.
albie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008   #26
Andrea Bonazzi
Chymist
Points: 16,158, Level: 87 Points: 16,158, Level: 87 Points: 16,158, Level: 87
Level up: 74% Level up: 74% Level up: 74%
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%

Finally, I have read Stefan Grabinski in english tranlations: The Dark Domain, The Motion Demon and In Sarah's House.
It's such a shame that Grabinski's works are still untranslated and practically unknown in Italy... especially considering that his very first translations in other languages was in Italian.

-- "[...] Grabinski remained during his lifetime a generally neglected figure in Poland and, except for two insignificant appearances in Italy, untranslated". (Quoted from The Dark Domain, Introduction by M. Lipinski, p. 7)

-- "[...] to Italy (where some of his stories were translated and published in literary magazines) [...]" (Quoted from In Sarah's House, Preface by W. Powaga, p. XVIII)

Following these references, through the Web I researched on the national library system, and in some Polish bibliographic text on-line with the help of Google. I found only this one:

Enrico Damiani, I narratori della Polonia d’oggi
[The narrators of Poland today: Berent / Orkan / Kaden-Bandrowski / Makuszynski / Goetel / Kossowski / Wiktor / Grabinski / Sieroszewki, Weissenhoff, Przerwa-Tetmajer, Strug]
Piccola biblioteca slava III, Istituto per l'Europa Orientale, Rome, undated (1928)
In 8vo (20 cm.), paperback, pp. 87

With a bit of luck, I found a copy of it. Enrico Damiani (1892-1953) was one of the main Italian slavicist: in this small book he presents some of the most representative living Polish authors of his days, with a brief introduction, and translation of excerpts from their works.
So Damiani starts on Grabinski's chapter: -- "Very different from all the previous authors and from any other Polish writer in general is Stefan Grabinski, whose art finds rather some kinship with that of Edgardo Poe" [sic].
After an introductory page, there is "Treno fantasma," an almost complete excerpt from "Blady Pociag" (The Wandering Train). It lacks of the beginning and the conclusive paragraphs only, and is followed by "Segnali," a couple of pages excerpted from the short story "Signaly" (Signals).
In his "Conclusions" at the end of the book, Damiani praises the practical realism in the Polish fantastic vein: -- "Essentially, one can not deny that even in that cases where the pure imagination takes over (as, for example, in some writings by Berent and Grabinski), even there the fantasy itself is put at the service of the essential realism of certain situations". [...]

Already somewhere I said how the Italian culture despises the fantastic, rather favoring the realism in literature... So, if you admit that some fantasy stories are nevertheless good literature, it seems that you has to justify yourself denying the fantasy in them!

I fear that those excerpts are the only "two insignificant appearances" mentioned by Mr. Lipinski in his Introduction (but, perhaps, I have to ask to him directly!). I can't find any other reference. Is someone aware of other translations on Italian magazines, before 1936?...

Andrea Bonazzi is offline   Reply With Quote
4 Thanks From:
Daisy (11-13-2008), G. S. Carnivals (08-26-2010), Nemonymous (11-13-2008), yellowish haze (11-13-2008)
Old 11-13-2008   #27
yellowish haze
Grimscribe
Threadstarter

Andrea,
In a monograph on the works of Stefan Grabinki (Twórczość Literacka Stefana Grabinskiego, published in 1959) written by Artur Hutnikiewicz I found the following information:

* The entire text of Damiani’s translation Treno Fantasma appeared in La Stampa on April 27, 1928.
* Grabinski’s short story Wezwanie (I don’t know the Italian title) translated into Italian by Stefania Kalinowska appeared in "Gazetta di Venezia" and in October issue of the magazine "Tutto" in 1929.
*Apparently Damiani’s translation of Blędny Pociag (The Wandering Train) has also been published in an issue of "La Stampa" before it was excerpted in I narratori della Polonia d’oggi, however I am not aware of the date of the publication.

Some other facts on Grabinski related with Italy:
*Grabinski traveled to Italy in June1927. He was planning to make a roundabout trip trough Venice, Rome, Naples, Capri and Sicily but in Venice he unexpectedly met a Polish woman Stefania Kalinowska and became friends with her. After a short trip to Rome, Grabinski gave up on other destinations and returned to Venice to spend the rest of the summer there.
* Kalinowska, besides translating Wezwanie was also planning to translate Grabinski’s play Ciemne Siły, but was later dissuaded because there was a lack of opportunities for the play to be staged in Italy .
* Venice inspired Grabinski to write an outline for a novel, which was later published in a collection of stories entitled Namiętność (L’Appassionata).

4 Thanks From:
Andrea Bonazzi (11-13-2008), Daisy (11-13-2008), G. S. Carnivals (11-13-2008), Nemonymous (11-13-2008)
Old 11-13-2008   #28
Andrea Bonazzi
Chymist

Thank you very much, Slawek! Very precious informations!

Starting to talk about Grabinski on italian websites, I hope to arouse some interest on him, at least in our fandom. Thanks again!

2 Thanks From:
Daisy (11-13-2008), yellowish haze (11-22-2008)
Old 11-22-2008   #29
Andrea Bonazzi
Chymist

Finally, I spent my two "euro-cents" about Stefan Grabiński, for italian readers only: in-tenebris-scriptus.blogspot.com/2008/11/stefan-grabiski.html
Not really an essay, but I don't know of any other writings at all about the author in the last decades, here in Italy... maybe not even in the last 80 years, I think.

Thanks again to Slawek for his precious help!

3 Thanks From:
Daisy (11-22-2008), fluteboy (04-20-2010), yellowish haze (11-22-2008)
Old 03-16-2009   #30
Andrea Bonazzi
Chymist

Found on The Free Library:

Secret passage through Poe: the transatlantic affinities of H. P. Lovecraft and Stefan Grabinski

an article by Marek Wilczynski
from Studia Anglica Posnaniensia: international review of English Studies (January 1, 2008)
a Polish academic publication presenting original articles on English linguistics and American and English literature.

"The paper focuses on intertextual relations between selected horror stories by H. P. Lovecraft and Polish writer Stefan Grabinski. Using a triadic concept of intertextuality derived by Michael Riffaterre from Peircean semiotics, this is to demonstrate that the interpretant connecting Lovecraft and Grabinski is The Tell-Tale Heart by Edgar Allan Poe".

2 Thanks From:
paeng (03-17-2009), yellowish haze (03-17-2009)