THE NIGHTMARE NETWORK
Go Back   THE NIGHTMARE NETWORK > Miscellanea > Rants & Ravings
Home Forums Content Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Contagion Members Media Diversion Info Register
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes Translate
Old 03-09-2017   #21
Ibrahim
Chymist
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 305
Quotes: 0
Points: 3,975, Level: 42 Points: 3,975, Level: 42 Points: 3,975, Level: 42
Level up: 17% Level up: 17% Level up: 17%
Activity: 43% Activity: 43% Activity: 43%
Re: Are you a good person?

If you cannot obtain objective knowledge of morality, how can you claim it is or is not inherent in the material world. Conversely, if you do obtain it, the claim that the material world bears out its existence is shown to be false. No?

"What can a thing do with a thing, when it is a thing?"
-Shaykh Ibn Al 'Arabi
Ibrahim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017   #22
Mithras
Banned
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 78
Quotes: 0
Points: 746, Level: 14 Points: 746, Level: 14 Points: 746, Level: 14
Level up: 92% Level up: 92% Level up: 92%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%
Re: Are you a good person?

Quote Originally Posted by Druidic View Post
So many intellectual decisions are dictated by our emotions. And when it comes to the physical, the intellect can only obfuscate. Little more.
Okay, I was initially wrong. What you're arguing is "ethical sentences serve merely to express emotions" (i.e., Emotivism). Am I correct?

However, this is still a form of Moral Anti-Realism because those moral utterances do not reveal objective moral facts in a purely physical world. Those ethical sentences lack truth value because they do not express genuine facts beyond feelings of disapproval or approval.

Quote Originally Posted by Ibrahim View Post
If you cannot obtain objective knowledge of morality, how can you claim it is or is not inherent in the material world.
I feel as if we have enough empirical data to know the material world is blind and indifferent, so this fact would stand regardless of not being able to attain objective knowledge of morality.
Mithras is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Thanks From:
Druidic (03-10-2017), Kevin (03-10-2017)
Old 03-09-2017   #23
ToALonelyPeace's Avatar
ToALonelyPeace
Grimscribe
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 501
Quotes: 0
Points: 19,179, Level: 95 Points: 19,179, Level: 95 Points: 19,179, Level: 95
Level up: 70% Level up: 70% Level up: 70%
Activity: 36% Activity: 36% Activity: 36%
Re: Are you a good person?

No, in most cases I know I am not. I have some unorthodox beliefs which are at least strange to most people. Take killing a dog or cat for example. Most people would vehemently refuse to kill and eat them because dog and cat are considered pets, and people don't want to eat what they love. For me, this should be the opposite. To consume the one I love is the final union, and I will have a part of them forever. Why should I let the worms eat my beloved instead of me? Taken to the extreme, this leads to cannibalism. Of course, I also don't see why cannibalism is any more wrong (given I die a natural death and have given consent to be eaten) than donating my body to science for medical students to poke around.

"So in the end it remains advisable to accept whatever comes, to behave like an inert mass even if one feels oneself being swept away, not to be lured into a single unneccesary step, to regard others with the gaze of an animal, to feel no remorse, in short to crush with one's own hand any ghost of life that subsists, that is, to intensify the final quiet of the grave still further and let nothing beyond that endure." ---Franz Kafka, Resolutions
ToALonelyPeace is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks From:
Kevin (03-10-2017)
Old 03-09-2017   #24
Mithras
Banned
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 78
Quotes: 0
Points: 746, Level: 14 Points: 746, Level: 14 Points: 746, Level: 14
Level up: 92% Level up: 92% Level up: 92%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%
Re: Are you a good person?

Quote Originally Posted by ToALonelyPeace View Post
No, in most cases I know I am not. I have some unorthodox beliefs which are at least strange to most people. Take killing a dog or cat for example. Most people would vehemently refuse to kill and eat them because dog and cat are considered pets, and people don't want to eat what they love. For me, this should be the opposite. To consume the one I love is the final union, and I will have a part of them forever. Why should I let the worms eat my beloved instead of me? Taken to the extreme, this leads to cannibalism. Of course, I also don't see why cannibalism is any more wrong (given I die a natural death and have given consent to be eaten) than donating my body to science for medical students to poke around.
So long as you value the consent of others who're not under any influence, then I don't see the issue with such a belief.

I think the backbone of modern society lies in consent. Most actions people consider unethical, in this day and age, is based on consent. The issue with animals is that they are unable to give consent, which adds a complex dimension to this question.

There was a German who did something similar to a human, but he received consent firsthand.

Last edited by Mithras; 03-09-2017 at 08:26 PM..
Mithras is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks From:
Druidic (03-10-2017)
Old 03-09-2017   #25
Druidic's Avatar
Druidic
Grimscribe
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 2,763
Quotes: 0
Points: 73,460, Level: 100 Points: 73,460, Level: 100 Points: 73,460, Level: 100
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Activity: 71% Activity: 71% Activity: 71%
Re: Are you a good person?

Mithras, I am just a humble student of the Fourth Way. I believe the universe is blind and indifferent. Our physical reality isn't. There's nothing 'indifferent' about moments of pure pain...or pure joy for that matter.

A small part of the universe is alive; and, for better or worse, we're part of that.
Druidic is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks From:
miguel1984 (03-10-2017)
Old 03-09-2017   #26
Mithras
Banned
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 78
Quotes: 0
Points: 746, Level: 14 Points: 746, Level: 14 Points: 746, Level: 14
Level up: 92% Level up: 92% Level up: 92%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%
Re: Are you a good person?

Quote Originally Posted by Druidic View Post
There's nothing 'indifferent' about moments of pure pain...or pure joy for that matter.
Yes, within one's mind, but my point is that pain doesn't reflect objective moral properties outside oneself in a purely physical world.

Regardless, one of my values is compassion, and I have engaged in charitable actions (e.g., donating to charities, etc.) However, this does not make me a good person for the reasons given hitherto.

I was just relating these questions to the topic "Are you a good person?".
Mithras is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Thanks From:
Druidic (03-10-2017), Kevin (03-10-2017)
Old 03-09-2017   #27
Revenant's Avatar
Revenant
Mystic
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 213
Quotes: 0
Points: 4,984, Level: 48 Points: 4,984, Level: 48 Points: 4,984, Level: 48
Level up: 17% Level up: 17% Level up: 17%
Activity: 43% Activity: 43% Activity: 43%
Re: Are you a good person?

Am I a good person? I try to keep my evil side in check most of the time. I hope that counts.

"The world is indeed comic, but the joke is on mankind." - H. P. Lovecraft
Revenant is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Thanks From:
Druidic (03-10-2017), miguel1984 (03-10-2017)
Old 03-09-2017   #28
Dr. Bantham's Avatar
Dr. Bantham
Town Manager
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 1,802
Quotes: 19
Points: 161,262, Level: 100 Points: 161,262, Level: 100 Points: 161,262, Level: 100
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%
Re: Are you a good person?

Yes?

THOMAS LIGOTTI ONLINE
A Shining Brainless Beacon Of Elegant Mutations And Cunning Annihilations
Dr. Bantham is offline   Reply With Quote
4 Thanks From:
Kevin (03-10-2017), miguel1984 (03-10-2017), Mr. Veech (03-10-2017), ToALonelyPeace (03-10-2017)
Old 03-10-2017   #29
James's Avatar
James
Grimscribe
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 1,622
Quotes: 0
Points: 18,232, Level: 93 Points: 18,232, Level: 93 Points: 18,232, Level: 93
Level up: 33% Level up: 33% Level up: 33%
Activity: 71% Activity: 71% Activity: 71%
Re: Are you a good person?

I'm not even sure I'm a person. My mental health is so abjectly poor that I can't trust my senses regarding whether I just ate cornflakes this morning.

'I believe in what the Germans term Ehrfurcht: reverence for things one cannot understand.'
― Robert Aickman, An Essay
James is offline   Reply With Quote
5 Thanks From:
Druidic (03-10-2017), Kevin (03-10-2017), miguel1984 (03-10-2017), Mr. Veech (03-10-2017), ToALonelyPeace (03-10-2017)
Old 03-10-2017   #30
qcrisp's Avatar
qcrisp
Grimscribe
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 1,959
Quotes: 0
Points: 63,216, Level: 100 Points: 63,216, Level: 100 Points: 63,216, Level: 100
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Activity: 50% Activity: 50% Activity: 50%
Re: Are you a good person?

Quote Originally Posted by Druidic View Post
A man caught between the couplers of two freight cars does not spend his last minutes reflecting unpon Nietzsche.
If so, he simply isn't a good enough philosopher.

http://modernstoicism.com/features-s...m-logotherapy/

"As the Director of one of the five greatest museums in our Eastern States has more than once remarked to me, From the Stone Age until now, what a decline!" - Ananda Coomaraswamy
qcrisp is offline   Reply With Quote
3 Thanks From:
Druidic (03-10-2017), Evans (03-10-2017), miguel1984 (03-10-2017)
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
good, person

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Believing in God makes you a better person wingsofwax Off Topic 105 03-20-2017 09:15 PM
Short Description of a Person Nemonymous D. F. Lewis 1 02-06-2016 05:31 AM
TLO Welcomes Lawrence Person TLO Welcome 0 06-17-2010 10:13 PM
Who is the most scariest person you've met in person? barrywood Off Topic 7 09-05-2005 02:43 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:35 AM.



Style Based on SONGS OF A DEAD DREAMER as Published by Silver Scarab Press
Design and Artwork by Harry Morris
Emulated in Hell by Dr. Bantham
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Template-Modifications by TMS