THE NIGHTMARE NETWORK
Go Back   THE NIGHTMARE NETWORK > Discussion & Interpretation > Other Authors > General Discussion
Home Forums Content Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Contagion Members Media Diversion Info Register

Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes Translate
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #11
miguel1984
Grimscribe
Quotes: 0
Points: 58,426, Level: 100 Points: 58,426, Level: 100 Points: 58,426, Level: 100
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Activity: 57% Activity: 57% Activity: 57%
Re: Fantasy Authors

The only thing I read by Gene Wolfe was a short story in The Sandman: Book of Dreams anthology called Ain't You 'Most Done?

That piece of crap was so unreadable that I decided never to read anything else written by Gene Wolfe.

Your fall should be like the fall of mountains. But I was before mountains. I was in the beginning, and shall be forever. The first and the last. The world come full circle. I am not the wheel. I am the hand that turns the wheel. I am Time, the Destroyer. I was the wind and the stars before this. Before planets. Before heaven and hell. And when all is done, I will be wind again, to blow this world as dust back into endless space. To me the coming and going of Man is as nothing.
miguel1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
3 Thanks From:
Druidic (2 Weeks Ago), Kevin (2 Weeks Ago), Speaking Mute (2 Weeks Ago)
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #12
Knygathin
Mystic
Points: 3,791, Level: 40 Points: 3,791, Level: 40 Points: 3,791, Level: 40
Level up: 94% Level up: 94% Level up: 94%
Activity: 29% Activity: 29% Activity: 29%

For traditional fantasy like "sword and sorcery", I go to the following authors:

J. R. R. Tolkien, supreme master of language, names, and mythic fantasy as genuine, profound symbols of European and Nordic culture. Hail!

Jack Vance: The four Dying Earth books, and the three Lyonesse books. Brilliant. And humorous.

Fritz Leiber: Fafhrd and the Grey Mauser stories.

(I should probably also add R. E. Howard to the list ("father" of S & S), but I have not read so many of his Conan stories, and I find him a too personal rebellious force to call his work traditional fantasy. I see it more as fighting fantasy, and historical fantasy. And I see him as one of the three great literary Weird Tales fantasists, which was a phenomenon on its own.)

Outside of traditional fantasy, there is lots of great fantasy, which may be more personal or specific in style, or where the boundary between science fiction and fantasy is open. Clark Ashton Smith, H. P. Lovecraft, R. E. Howard, A. Merritt, W. H. Hodgson, ... etc, etc. And don't forget E. R. Burroughs!
Knygathin is offline   Reply With Quote
3 Thanks From:
Druidic (2 Weeks Ago), miguel1984 (2 Weeks Ago), Speaking Mute (2 Weeks Ago)
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #13
Robert Adam Gilmour
Grimscribe
Points: 14,804, Level: 83 Points: 14,804, Level: 83 Points: 14,804, Level: 83
Level up: 87% Level up: 87% Level up: 87%
Activity: 99% Activity: 99% Activity: 99%

I quite liked Gene Wolfe's novella "Seven American Nights", about a future in which a wealthy Iranian man visits an America some years after nuclear devastation and most Americans live in third world poverty. I especially like the scene in which he pities a group of people doing Christian rituals because he knows what the rituals are for and they don't.

Robert Adam Gilmour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #14
Hidden X
Mystic
Points: 1,367, Level: 21 Points: 1,367, Level: 21 Points: 1,367, Level: 21
Level up: 67% Level up: 67% Level up: 67%
Activity: 21% Activity: 21% Activity: 21%

His story in Cthulhu 2000 was decent too (even with its overuse of nigh unreadable regional dialect).
Hidden X is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks From:
Robert Adam Gilmour (2 Weeks Ago)
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #15
T.E. Grau
Mystic
Points: 10,570, Level: 71 Points: 10,570, Level: 71 Points: 10,570, Level: 71
Level up: 7% Level up: 7% Level up: 7%
Activity: 36% Activity: 36% Activity: 36%

Quote Originally Posted by Raul Urraca View Post
I really like Vance's Dying Earth books. They've got really rich prose and concern bizarre, exotic lands, but I can only read so much at a time. The prose can be overwhelming, like really rich chocolate.
I don't read that much fantasy, most of it isn't to my taste. Still, I'd like to see a fantasy novel in the style of a 19th century realist. Clear, neutral prose and depressing themes, like the effects of dragons on rural economies and the immiseration of the villagers.
You should check out Michael Swanwick.

I've only read a few stories, but his "King Dragon" was really eye-opening as someone who grew up on heavy doses of straight-forward high/epic fantasy.

TEG
T.E. Grau is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Thanks From:
miguel1984 (2 Weeks Ago), Raul Urraca (2 Weeks Ago)
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #16
njhorror
Grimscribe
Points: 21,261, Level: 100 Points: 21,261, Level: 100 Points: 21,261, Level: 100
Activity: 36% Activity: 36% Activity: 36%

I really enjoyed Mythago Wood and Lavondyss by Robert Holdstock.

I think I'll reread them.

Lucian pigeon-holed the letter solemnly in the receptacle lettered 'Barbarians.' ~ The Hill of Dreams by Arthur Machen
njhorror is offline   Reply With Quote
3 Thanks From:
Druidic (2 Weeks Ago), miguel1984 (2 Weeks Ago), Speaking Mute (2 Weeks Ago)
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #17
Druidic
Grimscribe
Points: 61,674, Level: 100 Points: 61,674, Level: 100 Points: 61,674, Level: 100
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%

Has anyone mentioned Michael Shea? They should.
Druidic is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Thanks From:
miguel1984 (2 Weeks Ago), njhorror (2 Weeks Ago)
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #18
Robert Adam Gilmour
Grimscribe
Points: 14,804, Level: 83 Points: 14,804, Level: 83 Points: 14,804, Level: 83
Level up: 87% Level up: 87% Level up: 87%
Activity: 99% Activity: 99% Activity: 99%

I mentioned him but I haven't gotten around to reading my Nifft or Yana books yet.

Robert Adam Gilmour is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks From:
Druidic (2 Weeks Ago)
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #19
Speaking Mute
Chymist
Points: 8,624, Level: 64 Points: 8,624, Level: 64 Points: 8,624, Level: 64
Level up: 58% Level up: 58% Level up: 58%
Activity: 64% Activity: 64% Activity: 64%

I never liked how fantastic genres are marked off. That said, I definitely dislike most of what gets classified as Fantasy and Science Fiction because I long ago got burnt out on all the world building. I enjoy both fairy tales and magical realism, however. Rhys Hughes, who I'd classify as a fabulist, is quickly becoming one of my favorite authors, as is George Berguno, who's anthologies intermix weird horror in contemporary settings with historical fantasy. I still admire Tanith Lee, and among world-builders, make exceptions for Moorcock, Leiber, and Howard (probably because they never tied major plot points to knowing elaborate political factions, genealogies, and geographies). I'm also reading quite a bit of mythology again - I'm really enjoying Larrington's translation of the Poetic Edda, which I just started this week.
Speaking Mute is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks From:
ChildofOldLeech (2 Weeks Ago)
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #20
Kevin
Chymist
Points: 14,491, Level: 82 Points: 14,491, Level: 82 Points: 14,491, Level: 82
Level up: 98% Level up: 98% Level up: 98%
Activity: 21% Activity: 21% Activity: 21%

Quote Originally Posted by T.E. Grau View Post
Quote Originally Posted by Raul Urraca View Post
I really like Vance's Dying Earth books. They've got really rich prose and concern bizarre, exotic lands, but I can only read so much at a time. The prose can be overwhelming, like really rich chocolate.
I don't read that much fantasy, most of it isn't to my taste. Still, I'd like to see a fantasy novel in the style of a 19th century realist. Clear, neutral prose and depressing themes, like the effects of dragons on rural economies and the immiseration of the villagers.
You should check out Michael Swanwick.

I've only read a few stories, but his "King Dragon" was really eye-opening as someone who grew up on heavy doses of straight-forward high/epic fantasy.
Swanwick's earlier cyberpunk stuff is essential, but for fantasy you can't beat 'The Iron Dragon's Daughter.' Amazing!!

"What Exactly is a Dream? And What Exactly is a Joke?"
-Syd Barret
Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote
3 Thanks From:
ChildofOldLeech (2 Weeks Ago), miguel1984 (1 Week Ago), T.E. Grau (2 Weeks Ago)