THE NIGHTMARE NETWORK
Go Back   THE NIGHTMARE NETWORK > Discussion & Interpretation > Other Authors > Reggie Oliver
Home Forums Content Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Contagion Members Media Diversion Info Register

Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes Translate
Old 10-13-2011   #121
Brendan Moody
Chymist
Quotes: 0
Points: 12,660, Level: 77 Points: 12,660, Level: 77 Points: 12,660, Level: 77
Level up: 75% Level up: 75% Level up: 75%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Re: Reggie Oliver

Quote Originally Posted by Freyasfire View Post
My only slight disappointment with the book was that I had several of the stories already in various anthologies.
I know the feeling; it's why I've largely given up buying stories by authors on their original appearances in anthologies and magazines. Not that rereading a story in the context of the author's other work isn't enjoyable, but there's nothing like looking over a table of contents and having most of it be unfamiliar. I'd only read three of the thirteen stories in Mrs Midnight before receiving the book; the entire second half of the collection was new to me.

Of course, the catch is that some authors, particularly prolific ones, don't include all their stories in collections. I think Oliver's have been comprehensive, though; as of right now I'm only aware of three uncollected stories, all of them published around the time Mrs Midnight was in preparation and therefore likely to appear in his next collection. (The three are "Hand to Mouth" in the anthology Haunts, "A Child's Problem" in the anthology A Book of Horrors, and "Flowers of the Sea" in The Horror Anthology of Horror Anthologies. Someone let me know if I've missed any!)

Noonday Stars: a blog about horror fiction. Recent content includes essay on the new edition of Ligotti's The Agonizing Resurrection of Victor Frankenstein and Other Gothic Tales.
Brendan Moody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011   #122
Nemonymous
Grimscribe
Points: 129,399, Level: 100 Points: 129,399, Level: 100 Points: 129,399, Level: 100
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Activity: 99% Activity: 99% Activity: 99%

Quote Originally Posted by Brendan Moody View Post
...I'm only aware of three uncollected stories, all of them published around the time Mrs Midnight was in preparation and therefore likely to appear in his next collection. (The three are "Hand to Mouth" in the anthology Haunts, "A Child's Problem" in the anthology A Book of Horrors, and "Flowers of the Sea" in The Horror Anthology of Horror Anthologies. Someone let me know if I've missed any!)
STRIDING EDGE in TERROR TALES OF THE LAKE DISTRICT (Gray Friar Press) ?

MY WEBSITE: www.nemonymous.com
Nemonymous is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks From:
Brendan Moody (10-13-2011)
Old 10-13-2011   #123
Brendan Moody
Chymist

Ooh, hadn't heard about that one. Thanks. And the rest of the contributor lineup looks nice as well. Clearly, since I only have a dozen unread dark fantasy and horror anthologies piled up, the thing to do is buy another one...

Noonday Stars: a blog about horror fiction. Recent content includes essay on the new edition of Ligotti's The Agonizing Resurrection of Victor Frankenstein and Other Gothic Tales.
Old 10-13-2011   #124
Derek
Mystic
Points: 9,025, Level: 65 Points: 9,025, Level: 65 Points: 9,025, Level: 65
Level up: 92% Level up: 92% Level up: 92%
Activity: 14% Activity: 14% Activity: 14%

Andy Richards at Coldtonnage still had some copies of Mrs Midnight in stock this morning, but not, I imagine, for very much longer.

As previously mentioned, some of the highlight stories from the Mrs Midnight collection (such as Minos or Rhadamanthus) can be found in the Black Book of Horror anthology series from Mortbury Press which are very reasonably-priced when ordered direct from the publisher.

"The iniquity of oblivion blindly scatters her poppy seed and when wretchedness
falls upon us one summerís day like snow, all we wish for is to be forgotten." - WG Sebald
Derek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011   #125
Freyasfire
Grimscribe
Points: 17,208, Level: 90 Points: 17,208, Level: 90 Points: 17,208, Level: 90
Level up: 74% Level up: 74% Level up: 74%
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%

Quote Originally Posted by Nemonymous View Post
Quote Originally Posted by Brendan Moody View Post
...I'm only aware of three uncollected stories, all of them published around the time Mrs Midnight was in preparation and therefore likely to appear in his next collection. (The three are "Hand to Mouth" in the anthology Haunts, "A Child's Problem" in the anthology A Book of Horrors, and "Flowers of the Sea" in The Horror Anthology of Horror Anthologies. Someone let me know if I've missed any!)
STRIDING EDGE in TERROR TALES OF THE LAKE DISTRICT (Gray Friar Press) ?
Well I have all four of these anthologies, although I've only read The HA of HA thus far. It looks like I'm well on my way to having most of the stories for Reggie Oliver's next collection already...

In truth, I've found that the inclusion of Mr. Oliver's work in an anthology is an indication that I will enjoy some, if not most, of the other stories contained therein, so its never a waste for me to continue to collect these anthologies.
Freyasfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011   #126
Nemonymous
Grimscribe
Points: 129,399, Level: 100 Points: 129,399, Level: 100 Points: 129,399, Level: 100
Activity: 99% Activity: 99% Activity: 99%

Quote Originally Posted by Derek John View Post
As previously mentioned, some of the highlight stories from the Mrs Midnight collection (such as Minos or Rhadamanthus) can be found in the Black Book of Horror anthology series from Mortbury Press which are very reasonably-priced when ordered direct from the publisher.
There's one you can get cheapishly from me (You Have Nothing To Fear) that was originally published in 'Null Immortalis'.

PS: (edit) and also from me: MMM-DELICIOUS i.e. where it was originally published in 'Zencore!' (later published in 'Masques of Satan').

MY WEBSITE: www.nemonymous.com
Nemonymous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011   #127
Siderealpress
Acolyte
Points: 6,554, Level: 56 Points: 6,554, Level: 56 Points: 6,554, Level: 56
Level up: 2% Level up: 2% Level up: 2%
Activity: 21% Activity: 21% Activity: 21%

Dear all,

another tale absent from 'Mrs Midnight' is 'Singing Blood' fom the my own anthology 'Delicate Toxins'.

I heard Reggie read 'Minos or Rhadmanathus' last year and it is certainly splendid stuff- I am looking forward to reading the rest of the latest book very much. It is sitting near the top of the pile as I type this.

REGARDS!

J
Siderealpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks From:
Brendan Moody (10-13-2011)
Old 10-13-2011   #128
Brendan Moody
Chymist

Quote Originally Posted by Freyasfire View Post
In truth, I've found that the inclusion of Mr. Oliver's work in an anthology is an indication that I will enjoy some, if not most, of the other stories contained therein, so its never a waste for me to continue to collect these anthologies.
Indeed. I own the three anthologies I mentioned, will be ordering Terror Tales... as soon as I can justify doing so, and am sorely tempted by Delicate Toxins. I think an editor's familiarity with an author indicates both an appreciation for subtlety and an awareness of talented but little-known writers.

At least Oliver's collections generally include at least a few originals (there are four in Mrs Midnight). There's not much more disheartening than running your eyes over a table of contents and recognizing every single item.

Old 10-14-2011   #129
nomis
Grimscribe
Points: 22,657, Level: 100 Points: 22,657, Level: 100 Points: 22,657, Level: 100

One thing you rarely get elsewhere is Mr Oliver's wonderful illustrations of his tales. That alone make the volumes must-owns for me.

And speaking of someone who rarely reads all the multitudes of anthologies, I'm glad these disparate appearances are collected in one slightly less ephemeral place. (Besides, who can begrudge an author for wanting to make a few extra dollars on selling a story before publishing it in a book? In today's world, often the price of one tale is the same as the advance on an entire book of tales.)

Simon Strantzas

http://www.strantzas.com
nomis is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Thanks From:
starrysothoth (10-14-2011), waffles (10-14-2011)
Old 10-14-2011   #130
Brendan Moody
Chymist

Quote Originally Posted by nomis View Post
One thing you rarely get elsewhere is Mr Oliver's wonderful illustrations of his tales. That alone make the volumes must-owns for me.
A very good point. Oliver's art is accomplished and a perfect match for his stories in tone. If I were to allow myself a small complaint about Mrs Midnight, it would be that the size at which they're reproduced, while giving excellent definition, makes them too tiny to be atmospheric. Something closer to the size from Masques of Satan or even Madder Mysteries might be better. (Why yes, I can find a quibble about anything.)

(Besides, who can begrudge an author for wanting to make a few extra dollars on selling a story before publishing it in a book? In today's world, often the price of one tale is the same as the advance on an entire book of tales.)
Very true. I don't think anyone meant to suggest that authors shouldn't anthologize their fiction (how else would they get wider exposure), only that it's nice for collections to include something never-before-seen for devoted fans.