THE NIGHTMARE NETWORK
Go Back   THE NIGHTMARE NETWORK > Discussion & Interpretation > Quotation Forum > Thomas Ligotti Quotations > "The Dreaming in Nortown"
Home Forums Content Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Contagion Members Media Diversion Info Register

Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes Translate
Old 07-28-2008   #1
G. S. Carnivals
Our Temporary Supervisor
Quotes: 397
Points: 272,439, Level: 100 Points: 272,439, Level: 100 Points: 272,439, Level: 100
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%
An Infinite Expanse Of Depth And Distance

Quote ( View Quotes )
Collapse This

“ The slot was a window, perhaps more of a crack in some dream-wall or a slit in the billowing membrane that protects one world against the intrusion of another. Beyond was something of a landscape - for lack of a more suitable term - which I viewed through a narrow rectangular frame. But this landscape had no earth and sky that hinged together in a neat line at the horizon, no floating or shining objects above to echo and balance their earthbound countershapes below. This landscape was an infinite expanse of depth and distance, a never-ending morass deprived of all coherence, a state of strange existence rather than a chartable locus, having no more geographical extension than a mirage or a rainbow. There was definitely something before my vision, elements that could be distinguished from one another but impossible to fix in any kind of relationship. I experienced a prolonged gaze at what is usually just a delirious glimpse, the way one might suddenly perceive some sidelong illusion which disappears at the turn of the head, leaving no memory of what the mind had deceptively seen. ”

Thomas Ligotti - “The Dreaming in Nortown”
Added by: G. S. Carnivals on 08-02-2008 #294

"What does it mean to be alive except to court disaster and suffering at every moment?"

Tibet: Carnivals?
Ligotti: Ceremonies for initiating children into the cult of the sinister.
Tibet: Gas stations?
Ligotti: Nothing to say about gas stations as such, although I've always responded to the smell of gasoline as if it were a kind of perfume.
G. S. Carnivals is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks From:
Spotbowserfido2 (01-28-2011)
Old 01-27-2011   #2
The Silent One
Grimscribe
Quotes: 1
Points: 26,379, Level: 100 Points: 26,379, Level: 100 Points: 26,379, Level: 100
Activity: 14% Activity: 14% Activity: 14%
Re: An Infinite Expanse Of Depth And Distance

Reminds me of a kind of inversion of Borges' "The Aleph": Instead of a clear cross-section of the infinite, a blurring of its crucial elements into a seamless whole of distance without depth and depth without distance.

In a similar vein, it is worth noting that, when moving at a certain speed, the eye does not directly process visual information. One wonders if this is what one sees...

"And into his dreams he fell...and forever."
The Silent One is offline   Reply With Quote
3 Thanks From:
Spotbowserfido2 (01-28-2011), With Strength I Burn (01-29-2011), yellowish haze (01-31-2011)
Old 03-07-2011   #3
The Silent One
Grimscribe
Quotes: 1
Points: 26,379, Level: 100 Points: 26,379, Level: 100 Points: 26,379, Level: 100
Activity: 14% Activity: 14% Activity: 14%
Re: An Infinite Expanse Of Depth And Distance

An interesting proposition. I'd never previously considered the similarity of name between Cantor's transfinite sets and Borges' transfinite nexus, but now it seems perfectly clear and strangely obvious. Thank you for that!

But to continue with the non-denumerable: This is perhaps the essential difference between what constitutes perception and being, in that one may perceive the incalculable only so much as the parameters of the organs and conduits of perception may allow, whereas to be something is to not negate the infinitesimal that lies within the gaps of the selected set.

(I hope that that statement makes at least some sense.)

"And into his dreams he fell...and forever."
The Silent One is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Thanks From:
Spotbowserfido2 (03-08-2011), With Strength I Burn (03-08-2011)