THE NIGHTMARE NETWORK
Go Back   THE NIGHTMARE NETWORK > Discussion & Interpretation > Other Authors > Mark Samuels
Home Forums Content Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Contagion Members Media Diversion Info Register

Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes Translate
Old 12-26-2005   #11
Nemonymous
Grimscribe
Quotes: 0
Points: 132,718, Level: 100 Points: 132,718, Level: 100 Points: 132,718, Level: 100
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Activity: 29% Activity: 29% Activity: 29%
Re: Mark Samuels and the Sodality of Shadows.

I've a hard time believing that a soft voice whispers nothing from nowhere and no one with no credit.

Perhaps, but it's a very interesting concept in itself.

des (author of 'The Nemonicon' and editor of 'Nemonymous')
Nemonymous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2005   #12
mark_samuels
Quotes:

The moral here is not to believe everything written on a third-party website! I have no doubt that Tom Ligotti exists. I expect that the contrary idea was taken from my mentioning the "TL-doesn't-exist-theory" in an article that I wrote for a journal.
Old 12-26-2005   #13
The Silent One
Grimscribe
Quotes: 1
Points: 27,484, Level: 100 Points: 27,484, Level: 100 Points: 27,484, Level: 100
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%

Quote Originally Posted by mark_samuels";p=&quot View Post
The moral here is not to believe everything written on a third-party website! I have no doubt that Tom Ligotti exists. I expect that the contrary idea was taken from my mentioning the "TL-doesn't-exist-theory" in an article that I wrote for a journal.
Oh, my. I apologise for the misinformation, Mark.

I envy that you have enough friends who are literary enough to call yourselves the Three Imposters...

"And into his dreams he fell...and forever."
The Silent One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2005   #14
G. S. Carnivals
Our Temporary Supervisor
Quotes: 397
Points: 272,439, Level: 100 Points: 272,439, Level: 100 Points: 272,439, Level: 100
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%

I believe that Mark Samuels exists. I doubt, however, the existence of mark_samuels. A) The latter does not show as a registered user in the memberlist. B) His post does not show in statistics. C) It was my understanding that only registered users may post forum messages. D) By conventional means, that is.... :wink:

I think, therefore I am, I think,
Phil

"What does it mean to be alive except to court disaster and suffering at every moment?"

Tibet: Carnivals?
Ligotti: Ceremonies for initiating children into the cult of the sinister.
Tibet: Gas stations?
Ligotti: Nothing to say about gas stations as such, although I've always responded to the smell of gasoline as if it were a kind of perfume.
G. S. Carnivals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2005   #15
The Silent One
Grimscribe
Quotes: 1
Points: 27,484, Level: 100 Points: 27,484, Level: 100 Points: 27,484, Level: 100

Quote Originally Posted by G. S. Carnivals";p=&quot View Post
I believe that Mark Samuels exists. I doubt, however, the existence of mark_samuels. A) The latter does not show as a registered user in the memberlist. B) His post does not show in statistics. C) It was my understanding that only registered users may post forum messages. D) By conventional means, that is.... :wink:

I think, therefore I am, I think,
Phil
Clever. But they can.

"And into his dreams he fell...and forever."
The Silent One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2005   #16
matt cardin
Grimscribe
Points: 32,067, Level: 100 Points: 32,067, Level: 100 Points: 32,067, Level: 100
My reading of the Wikipedia article in question leaves me with the impression that whoever wrote it was deliberately poking fun at at both the old rumors of Ligotti's non-existence and Mark's longtime association with Tom in the public eye. Tom has written in praise of Mark's work and has named him as one of the best contemporary horror authors. He and Mark have been on friendly terms for years. Mark has been called one of the "Ligotti circle." I wouldn't be at all surprised if the author of the Wikipedia article were somebody who knows Mark, and who was simply having a private laugh by muddying the waters.

matt cardin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2005   #17
mark_samuels
Quotes:

I really can't imagine anyone taking the time to impersonate me... as for the Wikipedia article, I wondered whether it was the work of Ray Russell at Tartarus (but he said not). The only person I can think of who once erroneously called "The Face of Twilight" "The Mark of Twilight" was Nomis. But of course I may be way off the-ahem-mark here.

Elsewhere someone was asking about the connection between "Vrolyck" and Tom's "Sideshow". The latter influenced the former (I saw it prior to publication). In fact Tom had quite a hand in "Vrolyck" suggesting several changes to the text that I eventually adopted. There's currently a free pdf download available on the Tartarus website for those who've not seen it.
Old 12-28-2005   #18
Karnos
Chymist
Threadstarter
Points: 16,371, Level: 88 Points: 16,371, Level: 88 Points: 16,371, Level: 88
Level up: 35% Level up: 35% Level up: 35%
Activity: 21% Activity: 21% Activity: 21%

Quote Originally Posted by s_wielh";p=&quot View Post

Moreover, I didn't know he questions the existence of Thomas Ligotti. Gee, for the whole year I was trying to prove TL's existence - (seemingly)successfully -, and suddenly I stumble upon a respected writer of weird fiction, Mark Samuels (praised by TL himself), who against all that's been said tries to convince people that TL is not real. This is really messing up with one's mind.
Maybe Mr. Samuels is trying to convince us we are not real! :shock:

Anyway, people die...
-Current 93

I am simply an accident. Why take it all so seriously?
-Emil Cioran
Karnos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2005   #19
mark_samuels
Quotes:
Yikes! :-)
Old 12-28-2005   #20
Nemonymous
Grimscribe
Points: 132,718, Level: 100 Points: 132,718, Level: 100 Points: 132,718, Level: 100
Activity: 29% Activity: 29% Activity: 29%
There is actually a serious side to this debate - if you extrapolate existence and nemonymity generally as a literary theory.
des

MY WEBSITE: www.nemonymous.com
Nemonymous is offline   Reply With Quote