THE NIGHTMARE NETWORK
Go Back   THE NIGHTMARE NETWORK > Wayward Distractions > Television
Home Forums Content Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Contagion Members Media Diversion Info Register

Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes Translate
Old 09-04-2017   #121
waffles
Grimscribe
Threadstarter
Quotes: 0
Points: 33,928, Level: 100 Points: 33,928, Level: 100 Points: 33,928, Level: 100
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Activity: 14% Activity: 14% Activity: 14%
Re: Twin Peaks - Series 3

I'm still digesting the conclusion.

I was fortunate enough to see these last two episodes in a movie theater.

My favorite lines tonight:

"Andy, I understand cellular phones now!"
"Not where it counts, buddy"

Last edited by waffles; 09-04-2017 at 03:34 AM..
waffles is online now   Reply With Quote
Thanks From:
miguel1984 (09-04-2017)
Old 09-04-2017   #122
Robert Adam Gilmour
Grimscribe
Points: 22,460, Level: 100 Points: 22,460, Level: 100 Points: 22,460, Level: 100
Activity: 64% Activity: 64% Activity: 64%

So much to say. Impressions of the entire thing.

Halfway through season 3 I bought the box set to get to get Missing Pieces, only intended to watch that at this point. Watched that then was overcome by this incredible yearning to watch it all. Kind of like a lovesick feeling you rarely get with art, when it feels like there is absolutely no substitute on earth for the thing you're fixated on. Nothing else will do.

I thought maybe on revisit I'd decide I actually preferred the original run for its soft glowing idyllic beauty.

And it is gorgeous, in this aspect I prefer the earlier stuff, the first few episodes are bliss at times. But as I anticipated, the soundtrack becomes a huge problem. Of course it's one of the best soundtracks ever recorded but a few of the pieces are played so often that they become irritating, lose their power and even make some scenes seem a bit ridiculous. Some of the plots go on just a bit too long. There's one really dumb scene in which James, Donna and Madeleine don't make sure to be quiet about their big secrets in the diner.
Can't believe how many characters I forgot!

Apart from the finale, I hadn't seen the second season because of its mixed reputation and I was scared it would ruin the soundtrack for me. It does still abuse some of the music and its difficult to get through that but gradually some variety eases that a bit more.
So many beautiful places and beautifully furnished rooms. I particularly love Jack Nance as Pete.
A lot of people said the show jumps the shark at Leland's funeral but I thought the real nadir was mostly contained in the episodes about Ben's confederate fantasy and old Dougie's supposed death by sex and Cooper ridiculously letting Dwayne with a shotgun talk things over alone with Lana.
There's still a bit of slogging yet, Windom Earle is handled really badly but I felt the last episode redeemed him. The scene of Bob grabbing Earle and blowing fire out his head is one of my favourite things in the whole of Twin Peaks. I don't need to say how great this episode is.
So glad I watched the whole second season, it has some of the scariest scenes. Odd that in one of the last Episodes, Earle has a weird pale face, seems like something that would only be in a Lynch directed episode.

Rewatching Fire Walk With Me, I think it maybe ties with Inland Empire as my favourite Lynch thing ever. It's one of the most beautiful films I've ever seen.

And with finishing the 90s Twin Peaks, I'm left with that lovesick ache again. I realise that no matter how well the third season finishes, there will always be a terrible void left by wondering what could have been if it finished in the 90s. Lynch said there could have been four seasons. It is difficult to imagine how they'd get it made properly when audiences responded so badly to the film. Maybe the music would be ruined by that point? How many ideas did they have left over? How much of the third season is old ideas? How many ideas became unusable?

In many ways the third season is superior to the first two, whatever people say about drawn out scenes, I think the overall pacing of plots is much much better. I love the eight episode like everyone else. Bob in the sphere reminds me of an old first person videogame like Doom.

I'm scunnered, saddened and a little angry at the grim ending but it's undeniably a great ending.
Unlike at lot of people I don't think it's THE ending. I still feel Fire Walk With Me's ambiguous but happy ending is part of the real thing.

Lynch has said he'd like to do another season and a few of the actors are super eager. Surely the main obstacle is getting the money again. Many fans might be hesitant to demand another season that may finish like previous seasons: landing in deep #### again.
I'd be very surprised if Lynch or Frost didn't have further developments for Sarah, Audrey, whatever is happening in the walls (they must have at least outlined further things about Josie).

I'm not a huge fan of Fulci's The Beyond but that ending and this season 3 finale seem very similar to me. I've heard that Fulci wanted a sequel and that sounded incredibly intriguing to me. I get the sense Cooper is left to navigate a slightly similar world but there are all sorts of alternatives.

I want another season. I understand the feeling that the plots will ultimately go in circles and repeat things Lynch has done throughout his films, that a lot of the plots ultimately don't matter when you get so many alternate versions of everything but I'm fairly confident there's more to be done that would be rewarding.

For Inland Empire, Mulholland Drive and Lost Highway I never cared much about the theories, I was quite content with the sense of networks of significant people and alternate versions but Twin Peaks at this point is different to me.

When I saw the ending I thought "surely this is to get us to beg for more?"

Robert Adam Gilmour is offline   Reply With Quote
3 Thanks From:
miguel1984 (09-04-2017), Trau (09-09-2017), waffles (09-04-2017)
Old 09-04-2017   #123
marioneta
Mystic
Points: 4,134, Level: 43 Points: 4,134, Level: 43 Points: 4,134, Level: 43
Level up: 23% Level up: 23% Level up: 23%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Still trying to process and wrap my brain around the last episode. I need to see it again. It seemed to "end" on a note for a new season 4. Overall this series detonates in one's brain like a hydrogen bomb. Next to it all other TV series are anemic.If watching Twin Peaks, especially season 3, gives you radiation sickness, then bring it on, I enjoy being sick.
marioneta is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Thanks From:
miguel1984 (09-04-2017), waffles (09-04-2017)
Old 09-04-2017   #124
waffles
Grimscribe
Threadstarter
Points: 33,928, Level: 100 Points: 33,928, Level: 100 Points: 33,928, Level: 100

I was able to watch both episodes in a movie theater. Seeing these (and episode 8 the night before) on a big screen amplifies their impact

Me watching episode 17 ...

Me watching episode 18 ...

Me afterwards ...

10 Thanks From:
BeelzeBob (09-04-2017), Gnosticangel (09-04-2017), Lord Jim (09-04-2017), marioneta (09-05-2017), matt cardin (09-05-2017), miguel1984 (09-04-2017), Raul Urraca (09-04-2017), Robert Adam Gilmour (09-04-2017), Thossyphus (09-04-2017), Trau (09-09-2017)
Old 09-04-2017   #125
James
Grimscribe
Points: 19,664, Level: 96 Points: 19,664, Level: 96 Points: 19,664, Level: 96
Level up: 91% Level up: 91% Level up: 91%
Activity: 93% Activity: 93% Activity: 93%

Cooper tried to save Laura, and he did, but the trauma remained. The ending is her becoming Laura again. The end.

More convoluted 'plot' heavy readings are uninteresting to me, and I just can't see Lynch thinking along the lines of conventional science-fiction. I was satisfied with the ending and don't feel the need for more.

'I believe in what the Germans term Ehrfurcht: reverence for things one cannot understand.'
― Robert Aickman, An Essay
James is offline   Reply With Quote
3 Thanks From:
beakripped (09-05-2017), miguel1984 (09-05-2017), waffles (09-05-2017)
Old 09-05-2017   #126
waffles
Grimscribe
Threadstarter

This is the support group I need for my sense of post-finale emptiness

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x9yn49
2 Thanks From:
miguel1984 (09-05-2017), Thossyphus (09-05-2017)
Old 09-05-2017   #127
Justin Isis
Chymist
Points: 18,132, Level: 93 Points: 18,132, Level: 93 Points: 18,132, Level: 93
Level up: 8% Level up: 8% Level up: 8%

My interpretation of the ending (obvious spoilers to follow)...

I think Cooper messed up and overplayed his hand, and I think the Lodge entities knew he was going to do it. It always bothered me that they were being so helpful to him this season, especially since Mike and the Arm were originally evil entities. Note also that the Fireman has appeared in the Black Lodge before and even if he's not strictly evil, I don't think we can say he's necessarily good in the way we'd understand either. The two "players" would seem to be the Fireman and Judy (who I assume is the white entity that appeared in the glass box and gave birth to Bob after the nuclear test). Cooper had the fairy tale victory where Bob was defeated by punching him (lol), which lulled him into the sense that he could actually go back and save Laura herself...which seems to have either been a trap, or just something he wasn't really able to do. The sound we hear in the forest when Laura disappears is the "Judy sound" or the same one the Fireman plays at the beginning. It seems like Cooper and Diane tried to follow Laura's spirit wherever it got whisked off too, but they followed her into a reality where Judy had more control (notice the "Eat at Judy's" sign over the diner).

Note also that it's Leland in the Black Lodge who tells Cooper to find Laura. As I said, I doubt anything in the Black Lodge can be trusted as far as you can throw it.

The names Chalfont and Tremond are used by the woman at the end, which are the names used by the old woman and the mini-Lynch who mess around with the creamed corn and give Laura that painting in Fire Walk With Me. Seems like they have a history of renting houses or playing this kind of trick as it's mentioned they rented a trailer in that park in FWWM too, apart from the trick they play on Donna in S2. So something is obviously not right with the house at the end.

I don't think "What year is it?" really means the time zone is different or that they went back in time in the "standard" time zone/reality, it is just Cooper realizing he's out of his depth. When the owl cave symbol (the symbol on the ring) turns into a figure 8, it seems like an acknowledgment that time is going to fold in on itself somehow.

Or else/and, it's Laura hearing Sarah calling to her at the end, and then waking up from her dream into the reality where she wasn't killed...but still has to deal with her Bob-possessed father and Judy-possessed mother?

And Cooper seems to be on his way to ending up like Jeffries and Major Briggs...unmoored from time and space.

So, hard to read it as a "win" ending...but thoughts welcome.

Last edited by Justin Isis; 09-05-2017 at 06:31 AM..
Justin Isis is offline   Reply With Quote
11 Thanks From:
BeelzeBob (09-05-2017), GirlyGirlMask (09-05-2017), Gnosticangel (09-05-2017), marioneta (09-05-2017), miguel1984 (09-05-2017), Raul Urraca (09-05-2017), Robert Adam Gilmour (09-05-2017), Thossyphus (09-05-2017), Trau (09-09-2017), waffles (09-05-2017), yellowish haze (09-05-2017)
Old 09-05-2017   #128
yellowish haze
Grimscribe
Points: 58,139, Level: 100 Points: 58,139, Level: 100 Points: 58,139, Level: 100

Finale Explained: Kyle MacLachlan interview | Hollywood Reporter

(Edit: I am not posting this for the finale explanation, which this interview is not necessarily about. Just happened to read this today.)

"In my imagination, I have a small apartment in a small town where I live alone and gaze through a window at a wintry landscape." -- TL
Confusio Linguarum - visionary literature, translingualism & bibliophily
yellowish haze is offline   Reply With Quote
3 Thanks From:
miguel1984 (09-05-2017), Robert Adam Gilmour (09-05-2017), waffles (09-05-2017)
Old 09-05-2017   #129
Robert Adam Gilmour
Grimscribe
Points: 22,460, Level: 100 Points: 22,460, Level: 100 Points: 22,460, Level: 100
Activity: 64% Activity: 64% Activity: 64%

Assuming it is Judy who pulls Laura away in the lodge and in the forest, I wonder if Laura is simply powerless to resist. Did the Fireman and his female associate create Laura to have a fighting chance?

Quite a few scenes popping in my head, wondering why they were there, like Ashley Judd arguing with her ill husband. You could ask this about so many scenes of course but some seem more significant than others.

Perhaps a lot of us fans are reading a lot into what might be purely aesthetic choices and scenes created just because they wanted to work with certain actors.

Robert Adam Gilmour is offline   Reply With Quote
3 Thanks From:
Justin Isis (09-05-2017), miguel1984 (09-05-2017), waffles (09-05-2017)
Old 09-05-2017   #130
waffles
Grimscribe
Threadstarter

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Adam Gilmour View Post

Quite a few scenes popping in my head, wondering why they were there, like Ashley Judd arguing with her ill husband. You could ask this about so many scenes of course but some seem more significant than others.

I think Lynch did a nice job of fleshing out the town of Twin Peaks in this series. We get to see it as a functioning, "ordinary" town with ordinary people like the characters at the end scenes in the Roadhouse or Mike the former high school jock who is now a middle-aged business man, or Becky and Steve - a young couple with drug and money problems.

I don't think those scenes were intended to propel the main plot. I'm really glad he threw them in though.

I'm just really happy that this series got made with no interference from Showtime with respect to Lynch's decisions.

If this series had a neat tidy ending, I would be happy and filled with glee and an uncharacteristic philanthropy (that would soon wear off).

But, I am also happy with how it ended. It forces me to not stop thinking about it.

One of the best side effects of watching this series is that I can no longer tolerate crap tv. If I watch an episode of a series (e.g. various super hero series) and it's just dumb and recycled, then I will not let myself be lulled into a sense of being entertained/distracted.
Thanks From:
miguel1984 (09-05-2017)