THE NIGHTMARE NETWORK
Go Back   THE NIGHTMARE NETWORK > Miscellanea > Off Topic
Home Forums Content Contagion Members Media Diversion Info Register

Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes Translate
Old 03-13-2014   #1
bendk
Grimscribe
Quotes: 1
Points: 418,149, Level: 100 Points: 418,149, Level: 100 Points: 418,149, Level: 100
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Activity: 99% Activity: 99% Activity: 99%
Transcendence and The Singularity

If you have been to the theater lately you have probably seen this trailer. Transcendence is due in theaters on April 18th. It is obviously based on The Singularity and the work of Ray Kurzweil. I was going to post this in the movie trailer thread, but it might be worth a few comments. It stars Johnny Depp, so it will be widely seen and discussed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=VCTen3-B8GU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=5igUX43gkiU

So does God exist? Well, I would say 'Not yet.'
- Ray Kurzweil
bendk is offline   Reply With Quote
3 Thanks From:
Druidic (04-24-2014), gveranon (03-13-2014), qcrisp (04-24-2014)
Old 03-13-2014   #2
Malone
Grimscribe
Quotes: 0
Points: 40,697, Level: 100 Points: 40,697, Level: 100 Points: 40,697, Level: 100
Activity: 29% Activity: 29% Activity: 29%
Re: Transcendence and The Singularity

Kurzweil is one of those people who gives me a severe headache, and whose existence alone proves to me I'm definitely in the wrong world. Anyone who thinks they can somehow survive the heat death of the universe and continue on in another one is suffering from the kind of delusional egomania that makes Hitler look a shy and retiring choir boy.
Malone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014   #3
bendk
Grimscribe
Threadstarter
Quotes: 1
Points: 418,149, Level: 100 Points: 418,149, Level: 100 Points: 418,149, Level: 100
Activity: 99% Activity: 99% Activity: 99%

I saw this about a week ago and I thought it was ok. It certainly wasn't as bad as the critics portrayed it. The biggest disappointment for me is that because it flopped there will be no discussion in the wider media about the ideas that inspired the script. Depp's salary of 20 million dollars is absurd. He ate up too much of the budget. This isn't Pirates of the Caribbean where the film is going to gross 300 million. And I don't even think the day will come when this film attains cult status, because unlike some commercial failures, this movie just isn't good enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Malone View Post
Kurzweil is one of those people who gives me a severe headache, and whose existence alone proves to me I'm definitely in the wrong world. Anyone who thinks they can somehow survive the heat death of the universe and continue on in another one is suffering from the kind of delusional egomania that makes Hitler look a shy and retiring choir boy.
He has never struck me like that, Malone. He says that the thing he is most proud of is making a reading machine for the blind. Even his quest for "immortality" is just as much of an attempt to bring his father back to life as anything else. When he speaks on that subject I get the same impression when religious people talk of reuniting with loved ones in Heaven.

Last edited by bendk; 04-26-2014 at 01:52 AM..
bendk is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Thanks From:
Druidic (04-24-2014), teguififthzeal (04-25-2014)
Old 04-24-2014   #4
Forgotten Prisoner
Quotes:

I saw this last weekend, and while it isn't an especially good movie, the ideas and ultimate message redeemed it somewhat for me. The acting is fine throughout, particularly by the female lead, Rebecca Hall. But overall, it was a squandered opportunity given the material.

It opened poorly at the box office, which isn't a surprise due to the largely negative critical reviews. It was even surpassed by the moronic film Heaven is Real, which is about a child's dream of going to Heaven and how his father works him as a shill, and - surprise!- many people believe him. A far-fetched premise, you say? Sadly, no. In fact, it's all too nauseatingly familiar. Even the film God is Not Dead will probably make more money at the box office than Transcendence. Faithhead backlash, no doubt. It is difficult to believe that in this day and age there is still a market for such tripe. Well, they can have their little moment in the sun. It won't last for much longer.

Probably the best movie I have watched on the subject is the documentary Transcendent Man. The most striking feature of this movie is the stark contrast between the way science and religion confront certain problems. The main focus being death. Kurzweil honestly acknowledges that he feels death is a profound tragedy and a great loss - and then he tries to solve the problem. The religious mentality concocts stories, preaches acceptance of our fate, and then they go about lying to themselves and others about "everlasting life." Even if Kurzweil is unsuccessful, at least he is honest with himself. And the work that he has done has been very beneficial to a great many people.

He is by definition a prophet, but I would hesitate to call him one because of the negative association with a number of delusional numbskulls throughout history who have been given that title. And I would certainly never insult him by placing him in the midst of such an unflattering array of mentally stunted freaks and hobgoblins.

There is a good anthology on the Singularity called Digital Rapture edited by James Patrick Kelly and John Kessel. It is a mix of stories and essays from people such as Isaac Asimov, Frederick Pohl, Charles Stross, and many others.

The Digital Rapture. It's funny, all of these people holding their breath for two thousand years waiting for Jesus. They are in for a big surprise.

Thanks From:
Druidic (04-24-2014)
Old 04-25-2014   #5
teguififthzeal
Grimscribe
Quotes: 0
Points: 24,943, Level: 100 Points: 24,943, Level: 100 Points: 24,943, Level: 100
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Kurzweil is a good man.

Forgotten, I was thinking of you today while I finished the Book of Hours.

“The real reason why so few men believe in God is that they have ceased to believe that even a God can love them.”
― Thomas Merton, No Man Is an Island
teguififthzeal is offline   Reply With Quote