THE NIGHTMARE NETWORK
Go Back   THE NIGHTMARE NETWORK > Miscellanea > Rants & Ravings
Home Forums Content Contagion Members Media Diversion Info Register

Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes Translate
Old 09-17-2017   #101
Zaharoff
Grimscribe
Quotes: 0
Points: 129,618, Level: 100 Points: 129,618, Level: 100 Points: 129,618, Level: 100
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%
Re: (Why) Have we stopped reading fiction ?

I have resubbed several Japanese Doramas.
I have always been upfront with my methods and aims.
Correct grammar errors, fix tense mistakes, and streamline dialogue.
If a character says, "I will definitely be helping you!" I shorten to "I will help you."
Too many subs are over-literal, when the essence will suffice.
With dubbed movies, that is not possible.

In most cases, I shun dubbed and go for subbed.
I always run the .srt file through Subtitle Edit or similar software, if nothing else to fix common errors.
Worst subs - computer generated.

Most people I know - coworkers, friends, relatives - would rather trim weeds than watch a foreign film (which they equate with thinkaches and homework).
And most of them, to recap the topic, do not read unless it is a menu or Meme.
Zaharoff is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Thanks From:
miguel1984 (09-18-2017), ToALonelyPeace (09-18-2017)
Old 09-18-2017   #102
ToALonelyPeace
Grimscribe
Points: 71,635, Level: 100 Points: 71,635, Level: 100 Points: 71,635, Level: 100
Activity: 50% Activity: 50% Activity: 50%

I mostly watch subtitled films because my ears are bad and sometimes I cannot make out the accents. I prefer it over dub but sometimes I miss what happens on the screen as I read the subs. Especially when the subs are in cursive...

"Tell me how you want to die, and I'll tell you who you are. In other words, how do you fill out an empty life? With women, books, or worldly ambitions? No matter what you do, the starting point is boredom, and the end self-destruction. The emblem of our fate: the sky teeming with worms. Baudelaire taught me that life is the ecstasy of worms in the sun, and happiness the dance of worms."
---Tears and Saints, E. M. Cioran
ToALonelyPeace is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Thanks From:
miguel1984 (09-18-2017), Zaharoff (09-18-2017)
Old 09-18-2017   #103
Zaharoff
Grimscribe
Points: 129,618, Level: 100 Points: 129,618, Level: 100 Points: 129,618, Level: 100
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%

Quote Originally Posted by ToALonelyPeace View Post
... sometimes I miss what happens on the screen as I read the subs. Especially when the subs are in cursive...
Sounds like the episode or film is hard-coded (HC) which is frowned upon.
I prefer .srt myself, so I can give it a quick pass through an editor.
Cursive ... son-of-a-bitch ... they should not have done that.
English is the default sub for other nationalities who want to view foreign fare. Say, someone in Thailand wanting to see a French series.
Cursive is a pain in the ass. A simple font is easiest in most instances.
Zaharoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks From:
ToALonelyPeace (09-18-2017)
Old 09-18-2017   #104
Druidic
Grimscribe
Points: 77,541, Level: 100 Points: 77,541, Level: 100 Points: 77,541, Level: 100
Activity: 71% Activity: 71% Activity: 71%

We have stopped reading contemporary horror because it's not very good. There are no Machens, no Blackwoods, no Lovecrafts, or Ligottis.

Simple fact.

Only contemporary writers I enjoy are Ligotti and Samuels.
Druidic is offline   Reply With Quote
3 Thanks From:
miguel1984 (09-18-2017), Speaking Mute (09-19-2017), ToALonelyPeace (09-18-2017)
Old 09-18-2017   #105
Sad Marsh Ghost
Quotes:

There are probably some amazing horror writers out there who aren't Thomas Ligotti, Mark Samuels, Reggie Oliver and Ramsey Campbell, but they're unlikely to come up through the current weird fiction circuit because all it seems to produce are endless Laird Barron clones.
3 Thanks From:
miguel1984 (09-19-2017), ToALonelyPeace (09-18-2017), Zaharoff (09-19-2017)
Old 09-18-2017   #106
Robert Adam Gilmour
Grimscribe
Points: 63,009, Level: 100 Points: 63,009, Level: 100 Points: 63,009, Level: 100

There's more writers than ever now so I'm sure they're around. Who can say they've read every writer going in the small presses and magazines?

If there was a Year's Best Horror back early last century I doubt there'd be that many great writers in them beyond the obvious.

Robert Adam Gilmour is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Thanks From:
miguel1984 (09-19-2017), ToALonelyPeace (09-18-2017)
Old 09-19-2017   #107
Speaking Mute
Chymist
Points: 12,806, Level: 78 Points: 12,806, Level: 78 Points: 12,806, Level: 78
Level up: 16% Level up: 16% Level up: 16%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

I read quite a few lesser known authors, both past and present, and find that the writing that appeals to me the most is concentrated between the late 19th century and WWII. I have no problem assuming that this is just my peculiar tastes, but if I had to justify my preferences I'd say:

- The Pre-WWII reading market supported proportionately more full-time writers (and poets and playwrights); writing is just like any other skill - the more time authors can dedicate to their writing, the better authors they'll become. Fewer full time authors means fewer great authors.

- Sort of an addendum to the prior point, and one that I've already complained about, but the number of writers who are academics, and the number of publishers supported by academia (even if only indirectly - web hosting, access to printing at cost, student labor etc.) increased considerably post-WWII . There are numerous ways this hurts contemporary fiction, but the most straightforward is that it subsidizes and lends prestige to a lot of writing that would otherwise die out for lack of readership.

- People read more fiction Pre-WWII, which in turn meant that they applied higher literary and creative standards to writers.

- Genres were not as rigidly defined, and in many cases, not defined at all. Whereas writers have always looked to other writers, genre-consciousness creates the tendency to think of stories as permutations of discrete tropes, which in turn justifies a lot of formulaic writing.
Speaking Mute is offline   Reply With Quote
6 Thanks From:
Justin Isis (09-19-2017), miguel1984 (09-19-2017), qcrisp (09-19-2017), Robert Adam Gilmour (09-19-2017), ToALonelyPeace (09-20-2017), Zaharoff (09-19-2017)
Old 09-19-2017   #108
Robert Adam Gilmour
Grimscribe
Points: 63,009, Level: 100 Points: 63,009, Level: 100 Points: 63,009, Level: 100

Quote Originally Posted by Speaking Mute View Post
There are numerous ways this hurts contemporary fiction, but the most straightforward is that it subsidizes and lends prestige to a lot of writing that would otherwise die out for lack of readership.
Is this such a bad thing? Don't a lot of good things only happen this way? Animation springs to mind.

Robert Adam Gilmour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017   #109
Justin Isis
Grimscribe
Points: 29,163, Level: 100 Points: 29,163, Level: 100 Points: 29,163, Level: 100
Activity: 25% Activity: 25% Activity: 25%

I read quite a few lesser known authors, both past and present, and find that the writing that appeals to me the most is concentrated between the late 19th century and WWII. I have no problem assuming that this is just my peculiar tastes, but if I had to justify my preferences I'd say:

- The Pre-WWII reading market supported proportionately more full-time writers (and poets and playwrights); writing is just like any other skill - the more time authors can dedicate to their writing, the better authors they'll become. Fewer full time authors means fewer great authors.

- Sort of an addendum to the prior point, and one that I've already complained about, but the number of writers who are academics, and the number of publishers supported by academia (even if only indirectly - web hosting, access to printing at cost, student labor etc.) increased considerably post-WWII . There are numerous ways this hurts contemporary fiction, but the most straightforward is that it subsidizes and lends prestige to a lot of writing that would otherwise die out for lack of readership.

- People read more fiction Pre-WWII, which in turn meant that they applied higher literary and creative standards to writers.

- Genres were not as rigidly defined, and in many cases, not defined at all. Whereas writers have always looked to other writers, genre-consciousness creates the tendency to think of stories as permutations of discrete tropes, which in turn justifies a lot of formulaic writing.
I'd agree with everything re: academia. The rise of professor-writers has led to writing becoming an incestuous guild system (this happened to poetry first) with Iowa, Clarion and the other Writing Workshops feeding directly into the industries. You could include the various award industries in this as well (Man Booker, Pulitzer, National Book Award) for validating very specific models of writing and for encouraging literary homogenization.

With all that said, I think writing (at least at the upper ends of achievement) generally gets better over time due to the progressive accumulation of influences, techniques, etc. as well as more translations coming out and more technology platforms that make it easier to access a wider range of books. Things that you once would have had to pay out for or else scour used bookstores to find are now freely available on Project Gutenberg or as PDFs. If writers are so inclined, they can draw from a more diverse pool than ever.

As for the decreasing number of full time authors: the flipside to this is that if you have to fit in writing on top of a full time job and any kind of family/social obligations, you're probably pretty serious about it. Generally, the less monetary and social validation you receive, the less time you'll have to waste on anything that doesn't really need to be done. Many of the respected writers prior to WWII were full time authors or else managed to write due to having "legacies" or "inheritances" (I've just Googled E.M. Forster, for example)...and so it doesn't surprise me that their writing is less than interesting, given that they weren't exactly forced into confrontation with life (the current academy model seems like another way to avoid engaging with anything outside a very limited sphere).

Additionally, the rise of the Internet has led to people publishing "think pieces" and essayistic, opinion-based writing online rather than dropping it in book form. For example, I recently read an essay collection by G.K. Chesterton called Heretics. After about 50 pages I thought "lol nice opinions bro." After nearly reaching the end I thought "these opinions are expressed with some clever paradoxes and inversions but are still basically wrong lol, this should have been a series of blog posts." But it wasn't a series of blog posts...it was an actual book published in 1905.

Now, the presence of Internet forums (fora?) and message boards means that if I want to make fun of a 46 year old Caucasian male for debuting a collection of weird tales or whatever, I don't actually have to waste paper.
Justin Isis is offline   Reply With Quote
7 Thanks From:
miguel1984 (09-19-2017), mongoose (09-19-2017), qcrisp (09-19-2017), Robert Adam Gilmour (09-19-2017), Speaking Mute (09-19-2017), ToALonelyPeace (09-20-2017), Zaharoff (09-19-2017)
Old 09-19-2017   #110
qcrisp
Grimscribe
Points: 125,781, Level: 100 Points: 125,781, Level: 100 Points: 125,781, Level: 100
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Isis View Post

I'd agree with everything re: academia. The rise of professor-writers has led to writing becoming an incestuous guild system (this happened to poetry first) with Iowa, Clarion and the other Writing Workshops feeding directly into the industries. You could include the various award industries in this as well (Man Booker, Pulitzer, National Book Award) for validating very specific models of writing and for encouraging literary homogenization.

With all that said, I think writing (at least at the upper ends of achievement) generally gets better over time due to the progressive accumulation of influences, techniques, etc. as well as more translations coming out and more technology platforms that make it easier to access a wider range of books. Things that you once would have had to pay out for or else scour used bookstores to find are now freely available on Project Gutenberg or as PDFs. If writers are so inclined, they can draw from a more diverse pool than ever.

As for the decreasing number of full time authors: the flipside to this is that if you have to fit in writing on top of a full time job and any kind of family/social obligations, you're probably pretty serious about it. Generally, the less monetary and social validation you receive, the less time you'll have to waste on anything that doesn't really need to be done. Many of the respected writers prior to WWII were full time authors or else managed to write due to having "legacies" or "inheritances" (I've just Googled E.M. Forster, for example)...and so it doesn't surprise me that their writing is less than interesting, given that they weren't exactly forced into confrontation with life (the current academy model seems like another way to avoid engaging with anything outside a very limited sphere).

Additionally, the rise of the Internet has led to people publishing "think pieces" and essayistic, opinion-based writing online rather than dropping it in book form. For example, I recently read an essay collection by G.K. Chesterton called Heretics. After about 50 pages I thought "lol nice opinions bro." After nearly reaching the end I thought "these opinions are expressed with some clever paradoxes and inversions but are still basically wrong lol, this should have been a series of blog posts." But it wasn't a series of blog posts...it was an actual book published in 1905.

Now, the presence of Internet forums (fora?) and message boards means that if I want to make fun of a 46 year old Caucasian male for debuting a collection of weird tales or whatever, I don't actually have to waste paper.
In the interests of perpetuating a chain of slight disagreement: I agree with much of the above, but find the impression growing on me that increased access to variety doesn't seem to equal increased interest in variety, or very deep interest in anything at all. Potentially, history provides us with spectacularly fertile compost, but a perusal of current writing against almost any other period seems to suggest that people are not sending out very searching roots into the literary soil, and that creative growth is, as a result, dwarfed and pock-marked.

On the question of opinions, having abandoned my blog some years ago, I am happy to find my opinions building up in me once more in a kind of fermentation, and I am conscious in wanting to divert what would have been blog impulses into something more carefully and thoughtfully formed. I do like the essay/discursive form, though perhaps more for its lyrical and mood possibilities than for any sense that it is the best medium for defining a truth.

I am currently considering narrowing my leisure reading to Chinese biji, histories of the blues, Old- and Middle-English texts, classical histories, and occasional science fiction novels for contrast. And tales about werewolves. And possibly one or two other things.

Absolutely candid, carefree, but straightforward speech becomes possible for the first time when one speaks of the highest." - Friedrich Schlegel
qcrisp is offline   Reply With Quote
6 Thanks From:
gveranon (09-23-2017), Justin Isis (09-19-2017), miguel1984 (09-19-2017), Speaking Mute (09-19-2017), ToALonelyPeace (09-20-2017), Zaharoff (09-19-2017)