THE NIGHTMARE NETWORK
Go Back   THE NIGHTMARE NETWORK > Wayward Distractions > Musicians > Coil
Home Forums Content Contagion Members Media Diversion Info Register

Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes Translate
Old 08-21-2006   #1
The Silent One
Grimscribe
Quotes: 1
Points: 50,529, Level: 100 Points: 50,529, Level: 100 Points: 50,529, Level: 100
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Live Coil

Has anyone here actually seen Coil's live act? I've heard recordings and most are wonderful, though some are a bit tiring; Not inadequate, mind you, but listening to their 4 April 2000 show in one sitting without the original visual accompaniment requires a certain deal of patience. I think my personal favorite of the recordings I've heard would probably be "Black Antlers (Where's Your Child?)" in Paris 2004, but it's difficult to really decide. I'll say "Elves" from the Sonar Festival was a real trip...

"And into his dreams he fell...and forever."
The Silent One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006   #2
richardm123uk
Mannikin
Quotes: 0
Points: 14,204, Level: 82 Points: 14,204, Level: 82 Points: 14,204, Level: 82
Level up: 16% Level up: 16% Level up: 16%
Re: Live Coil

Hello

I saw Coil 7 or 8 times during their live period. They were interesting live, sometimes moments of brilliance but if their heart was not in it, really dull.

I like the drone orientated live CD's esp Live one. Coil were a very special band and the slow demise of the talented Balance a tragedy.
richardm123uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006   #3
beakripped
Mystic
Points: 11,737, Level: 74 Points: 11,737, Level: 74 Points: 11,737, Level: 74
Level up: 96% Level up: 96% Level up: 96%
Activity: 14% Activity: 14% Activity: 14%

Not sure if it qualifies as Coil but I saw Peter and Thighps... in Montreal. The material was very similar to ...And The Ambulance Died in His Arms. Jhonn pulled out of the gig and I was probably one of the few who knew, beforehand, that he wouldn't be there. Regardless it was an excellent set, very textured and psychedelic. It's supposed to be included in the 10 DVD Live boxset that Peter's been working on since before Jhonn passed.

If you're persistant you can find all sorts of video bootlegs on Soulseek. I used to have Live 3 but my comp crashed before I could save it to disk.
beakripped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007   #4
the_havoc_man
Mystic
Points: 5,633, Level: 51 Points: 5,633, Level: 51 Points: 5,633, Level: 51
Level up: 42% Level up: 42% Level up: 42%

I never had the opportunity to see Coil live in person. They never played Chicago. I just recently got a copy of And the Ambulance Died in His Arms. I was blown away by what Coil considered a quieter set. My live Coil consists of:
And the Ambulance Died in His Arms
Live One
Live Two
Live Three
I am always searching high and low for Live Four. I want to hear "The Universe is a Haunted House" transform into "Window Pane."

Not having the opportunity to see Coil live just once was a bummer especially after Jhonn Balance's death, but what can you do when they don't play the United States except for one night in NYC.
the_havoc_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2007   #5
The Silent One
Grimscribe
Threadstarter
Quotes: 1
Points: 50,529, Level: 100 Points: 50,529, Level: 100 Points: 50,529, Level: 100

Quote Originally Posted by the_havoc_man View Post
I never had the opportunity to see Coil live in person. They never played Chicago. I just recently got a copy of And the Ambulance Died in His Arms. I was blown away by what Coil considered a quieter set. My live Coil consists of:
Live One
Live Two
Live Three
I am always searching high and low for Live Four. I want to hear "The Universe is a Haunted House" transform into "Window Pane."

Not having the opportunity to see Coil live just once was a bummer especially after Jhonn Balance's death, but what can you do when they don't play the United States except for one night in NYC.
Live Four I've heard, but I've only an MP3 version, and even that was a stretch. That album is damnably hard to find; I don't think Threshold House has it in stock, even in downloadable format. Then again, I could be quite wrong...

Anyone else considering buying the Ape of Naples vinyl reissue? Or, moreover, who isn't, at least in their wildest fancy?

"And into his dreams he fell...and forever."
The Silent One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008   #6
the_havoc_man
Mystic

Today I got a copy of Live Four. I am planning on buying the New Backwards when it is available on CD. In regards to those looking for Live Four, there was a seller on Ebay called the Longshadows that was selling the disc for like 30 to 40 dollars. That's a lot less than what it was going for.

Quote Originally Posted by The Silent One View Post
Live One
Live Two
Live Three

Live Four I've heard, but I've only an MP3 version, and even that was a stretch. That album is damnably hard to find; I don't think Threshold House has it in stock, even in downloadable format. Then again, I could be quite wrong...

Anyone else considering buying the Ape of Naples vinyl reissue? Or, moreover, who isn't, at least in their wildest fancy?
Old 04-30-2008   #7
Masonwire
Chymist
Points: 16,280, Level: 88 Points: 16,280, Level: 88 Points: 16,280, Level: 88
Level up: 9% Level up: 9% Level up: 9%
Activity: 25% Activity: 25% Activity: 25%

Today I got a copy of Live Four. I am planning on buying the New Backwards when it is available on CD.
It's already available from Thresholdhouse - either as download or "proper" CD. Highly recommended!
Masonwire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008   #8
the_havoc_man
Mystic

Quote Originally Posted by Masonwire View Post
Today I got a copy of Live Four. I am planning on buying the New Backwards when it is available on CD.
It's already available from Thresholdhouse - either as download or "proper" CD. Highly recommended!
I pre-ordered New Backwards yesterday. I will watching my mailbox fanatically for the next week.
Old 05-02-2008   #9
MadsPLP
Grimscribe
Points: 61,944, Level: 100 Points: 61,944, Level: 100 Points: 61,944, Level: 100
Activity: 50% Activity: 50% Activity: 50%
Send a message via MSN to MadsPLP

I pre-ordered New Backwards yesterday. I will watching my mailbox fanatically for the next week.
It's worth the wait. I only have the LP version which came with the The Ape of Naples box, and it's brilliant, though very much different from the bootleg versions which have circulated over the years. I'd like to have the cd at some point, due to the extra tracks, but right now I don't have the money for that.
MadsPLP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008   #10
the_havoc_man
Mystic

Quote Originally Posted by MadsPLP View Post
It's worth the wait. I only have the LP version which came with the The Ape of Naples box, and it's brilliant, though very much different from the bootleg versions which have circulated over the years. I'd like to have the cd at some point, due to the extra tracks, but right now I don't have the money for that.
My copy of New Backwards arrived in the mail on Tuesday. It's great to hear the studio versions of "AYOR" and "Backwards" finally, lots of fine music on this album I am still exploring. In my opinion, I would say that sonically this album reminds me most of Love's Secret Domain and the Ape of Naples, I understand why it was included with the Ape. I highly recommend The New Backwards to all Coil fans and others who are into insane trippy electronik music.