THE NIGHTMARE NETWORK
Go Back   THE NIGHTMARE NETWORK > Miscellanea > Contests > Studies in Modern Horror - Thomas Ligotti Contest
Home Forums Content Contagion Members Media Diversion Info Register

Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes Translate
Old 04-03-2006   #1
The New Nonsense
Grimscribe
Quotes: 0
Points: 47,346, Level: 100 Points: 47,346, Level: 100 Points: 47,346, Level: 100
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Ligotti as a form of Neo-Decadent literature

Essay topic:
Ligotti's work as a form of contemporary Decadent or Neo-Decadent literature.

I'll be focusing on his use of classic Decadent themes and how he's adapted these to a modern aesthetic. I'll also be comparing and contrasting his uniquely grim and bleak use of themes of ruin, pessimism, chronic illness, beauty in deformity, and obsession with the artificial with former Decadents from the Fin-de-Siecle era.

He's much more than simply an author of horror, and I'd like to hopefully introduce his work to those that are normally philosophy and poetry readers. I truly believe Ligotti is the Baudelaire of our era.

I don't know if I'll be able to pull off the essay in time or not, but I'm going to give it a shot. It's going well so far. Wish me luck.

Anyone else going to throw their topic in?

"Too much of anything is bad, but too much good whiskey is barely enough." Mark Twain
The New Nonsense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006   #2
Dr. Bantham
Town Manager
Quotes: 19
Points: 291,431, Level: 100 Points: 291,431, Level: 100 Points: 291,431, Level: 100
Re: Ligotti as a form of Neo-Decadent literature

Hooray! Congratulations for being the first brave soul to leap from the precipice. Considering the hacking and hosting dramas which plagued TLO in the past few weeks, I was fearful that the contest would be forgotten entirely.

This is an excellent topic and one which intrigues me wholly. Unfortunately, Decadent literature is not an area which I am knowledgeable in beyond a novice affair. I look forward to tasty bits and pieces you may share with us!

Perhaps this will inspire others to take the step forward?

THOMAS LIGOTTI ONLINE
A Shining Brainless Beacon Of Elegant Mutations And Cunning Annihilations
Dr. Bantham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006   #3
unknown
Grimscribe
Points: 31,571, Level: 100 Points: 31,571, Level: 100 Points: 31,571, Level: 100
Send a message via AIM to unknown
Good luck! If I had the time (and imagination) I would attempt to write an essay

there is no stronger drug than reality

yog-sothoth
unknown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2006   #4
G. S. Carnivals
Our Temporary Supervisor
Quotes: 397
Points: 272,439, Level: 100 Points: 272,439, Level: 100 Points: 272,439, Level: 100
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%

Ah, now that I have the gauze out of my brain, I'll place this one properly.

A gem for you, Kevin:

"A type of worship may even be devoted to the ruined state, consecrating earthly objects that in their decrepitude have attained a divine status. Crumbling pillars shake off their burden, forsake their function, and stand serenely above the rubble of old pediments. And what domes and spires may still be held aloft release their grasp upon the gray heights of a barren horizon. Below, carven images of gods and beasts all abandon themselves to shattered confusion, their once perfect likenesses now heaped and corroded, their significance lost. Skeletons eased of all flesh openly consort with stones and dust, liberated from the duties of life."

Thomas Ligotti - "The Mocking Mystery"
Best of luck!

Phil

"What does it mean to be alive except to court disaster and suffering at every moment?"

Tibet: Carnivals?
Ligotti: Ceremonies for initiating children into the cult of the sinister.
Tibet: Gas stations?
Ligotti: Nothing to say about gas stations as such, although I've always responded to the smell of gasoline as if it were a kind of perfume.
G. S. Carnivals is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks From:
Doctor Dugald Eldritch (11-30-2014)
Old 04-09-2006   #5
G. S. Carnivals
Our Temporary Supervisor
Points: 272,439, Level: 100 Points: 272,439, Level: 100 Points: 272,439, Level: 100

Quote Originally Posted by seelebrenntdotcom";p=&quot View Post
These are, of course, themes one can also find in Poe and Lovecraft, but don't forget to look into possible connections to Flannery O’Connor and/or R.R. Ryan (probably O'Connor, as Ryan isn't that well known).
Kevin, if you have the inclination (and time) to explore Flannery O'Connor's fiction, "A Good Man Is Hard to Find" is the story to seek out. Trust me.

"What does it mean to be alive except to court disaster and suffering at every moment?"

Ligotti: Nothing to say about gas stations as such, although I've always responded to the smell of gasoline as if it were a kind of perfume.
Old 04-09-2006   #6
The New Nonsense
Grimscribe
Threadstarter
Points: 47,346, Level: 100 Points: 47,346, Level: 100 Points: 47,346, Level: 100

Wow! Thanks for the help. I really appreciate it.

"Too much of anything is bad, but too much good whiskey is barely enough." Mark Twain
Old 04-11-2006   #7
The New Nonsense
Grimscribe
Threadstarter

Yes, many thanks to seelebrenntdotcom, GS Carnivals, and many others for the much appreciated help and encouragement! I've taken your advice about Flannery O'Connor and ordered the Library of America edition of her collected works (big fan of Library of America's quality). Been brushing up and taking notes on J. K. Huysman's "A Rebours" loosely translated as either "Against the Grain" or "Against Nature". It's widely considered the "bible" of Decadent literature. Anyway, back to work!

Old 04-19-2006   #8
Harksen
Mannikin
Points: 6,843, Level: 57 Points: 6,843, Level: 57 Points: 6,843, Level: 57
Level up: 47% Level up: 47% Level up: 47%

Hi,

Great idea! Here's a few suggestions; forgive me if they are rather vague...

You state that part of this is to show Ligotti's writing as philosophical significant, right? To bolster this, perhaps it can be worthwhile to take a brief look at how Ligotti's Decadent outlook in many ways also encompass a perculiar, radical sort of Existentialism? Although not himself really an existentialist, maybe Nietzsche's project can be of interest--the total rejection of society's taken-for-granted values illustrated in the most horrified way in Ligotti's decadent usage of sceneries and people. For instance, in Ligotti's fiction the prominent feature of modern life as meaningless, filled with people who are really living a "non-life" bound by in-reality worthless and meaningless values and codes--using decadent symbolism, as it is--seems to me to be strickingly Nietzschean...

A project I'd love to undertake myself, but I fear I won't find the time for it... :-/ If nothing else, I hope you found it entertaining enough to read through, hehe :-D

Harksen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2006   #9
G. S. Carnivals
Our Temporary Supervisor

Kevin,

I can't argue with Harksen's ideas. They are excellent. The main thing, however, is to stick with your original thesis. If you begin to deal with existentialism per se, you postdate the period you wish to deal with. Don't let the article get bigger or busier than it needs to be. Focus.

As always, best wishes,
Phil

Old 04-22-2006   #10
Harksen
Mannikin
Points: 6,843, Level: 57 Points: 6,843, Level: 57 Points: 6,843, Level: 57
Level up: 47% Level up: 47% Level up: 47%

I agree wholeheartedly with Carnivals, of course. My throw-off of a suggestion was only in case some further, philosophical elements were needed--within the framework already existing.

Good luck with the project, Kevin. Sounds very promising, that's for sure. You are guaranteed a reader in me, that's for sure ;-)

Regards,
Henrik

(P.S. I don't really know how that free floating "hi," apparently mine, post got there??? Sorry if I somehow made some *duh* mistake some days ago.)

Harksen is offline   Reply With Quote