THE NIGHTMARE NETWORK
Go Back   THE NIGHTMARE NETWORK > Discussion & Interpretation > Thomas Ligotti > General Discussion
Home Forums Content Contagion Members Media Diversion Info Register

Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes Translate
Old 10-19-2016   #41
Kevin
Grimscribe
Quotes: 0
Points: 19,665, Level: 96 Points: 19,665, Level: 96 Points: 19,665, Level: 96
Level up: 92% Level up: 92% Level up: 92%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Re: RE. Your Thoughts on Cultural Appropriation In Writing?

Quote Originally Posted by Comrade Tulayev View Post
Quote Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
Comrade, it appears that the "Little Tree" controversy did indeed result in the verdict that the author was a KKK member and that the memoir was mostly - but not completely - fiction. Cherokee tribe members have said that the book's details are inaccurate and stereotyped.

Nevertheless, Native American author Sherman Alexie calls it a "lovely little book." So, even as an act of "hypocrisy" ("atonement?") the book may end up serving exactly the purpose that the author intended. Irony aside, what are we to make of this?

"Writers are paid liars" - Harlan Ellison
It is remarkable that this same person also wrote the George Wallace "Segregation Now and Forever" speech.

It is hard to make heads or tales of this hoax of a book. Hypocrisy vs Atonement... indeed.

I suspect that if Asa Carter truly had amended his ugly views of the world, he would have fessed up when called out for writing this fraudulent piece. That would have been a fine time to speak up and apologize for all the horrible things he had done with this life. Writing a "lovely little book" under the guise of fraud doesn't ring true with sentiments of atonement.

It's a shame though that we never did hear directly from the author about this controversy... I suppose all we have left is the book and our own speculation.

Its funny... this book actually was selected by the book club at my work over my own suggestion of McCarthy's Blood Meridian... perhaps I'm a little bitter about that... maybe biasing my opinion about "Little Tree"... ; )
Yes, it's a poor form of atonement, if that's what it was meant to be. If so, then it reeks of cowardice. However, it's not just Sherman Alexie who likes it; several people close to me took the book as literally true and loved it, taking from it the lessons that a book written in true atonement would bring. The fact that the book is a fraud has disturbed this and polluted the positive effects that it had.

Good or bad, sidelining Cormac McCarthy's Blood Meridian for this (or just about any other book) was a sad, sad mistake. Blood Meridian is always in my Top 5, and if things are looking bleak, it slips into No. 1.

Put your faith in God; he won't expect you.
Put your faith in death, because it's free.
If you believe in nothing, honey, it believes in you.
-Robyn Hitchcock
Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Thanks From:
miguel1984 (10-19-2016), With Strength I Burn (10-19-2016)
Old 10-19-2016   #42
DarkView
Mystic
Points: 17,529, Level: 91 Points: 17,529, Level: 91 Points: 17,529, Level: 91
Level up: 58% Level up: 58% Level up: 58%

Quote Originally Posted by Druidic View Post
I thinl it was Ellison who wrote a story with two main characters, one black, one white. You never learn which is which.

Ellison strikes me as an Old Time Liberal Guy in any case. Emphasizing the similarities among folk, not looking for differences. The common glue that binds us together. Today that's lost. Today diversity is our fetish.
Hey, man. You're not like me...you're different.
No wonder race relations in America are at an all time low.

I tend to think Hemingway's advice is helpful to the beginner. But it's a bit self-limiting to the mature artist.
I think what Hemingway said there was deceptively simple, like all his writing. For me, it applies to every writer of fiction in both a literal and non-literal sense, as, inevitably, the material from which we write is self-evidently taken from what we know and shaped into a story. And if the strength of a story relies on how well you can mimic elements of reality for the purposes of your story, whatever they might be, that, in turn, relies on how well you know the particular reality you are attempting to depict.

“Evolution cannot avoid bringing intelligent life ultimately to an awareness of one thing above all else and that one thing is futility.”
Cormac McCarthy, The Sunset Limited
DarkView is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks From:
miguel1984 (10-19-2016)
Old 10-19-2016   #43
Hidden X
Mystic
Points: 3,579, Level: 39 Points: 3,579, Level: 39 Points: 3,579, Level: 39
Level up: 53% Level up: 53% Level up: 53%
Activity: 99% Activity: 99% Activity: 99%

Quote Originally Posted by qcrisp View Post
Quote Originally Posted by Hidden X View Post
Quote Originally Posted by Prince James Zaleski View Post
Quote Originally Posted by Druidic View Post
No wonder race relations in America are at an all time low.
Worse than the days of the Native American genocide and black slavery? Impressive going, America!
If you're Black, they're getting there.

Anyway, it is pointless to discuss topic like this one here, as the range of opinions is bound to be extremely limited and the discussion itself mostly onesided. Voices of people like Ibrahim, ie ones coming from cultures that are targeted with this, are exceedingly rare here.
The hypocrisy of this comment is breathtaking coming from someone who, from the outset, wanted to limit the range of opinions on these boards:

http://www.ligotti.net/showpost.php?...80&postcount=5

And someone who thanked a post that advocated the bombing of the Middle East:

http://www.ligotti.net/showpost.php?...77&postcount=4
I am flattered by how you appear to be keeping some sort of careful record of my humble comments. I do not consider myself worthy of such attentions! :blushes profusely:

However, you'd be wise to know that "thanks" don't imply 100% agreement with the thanked comment. If you were to consider that comment in its context, you would understand what portion of it is thanked and why.
As for Houellebecq, I stand behind my words. I could write much worse about him and do so at great length, if you so desire.
Hidden X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016   #44
Nirvana In Karma
Quotes:

2 Thanks From:
miguel1984 (10-19-2016), Mr. Veech (10-19-2016)
Old 10-19-2016   #45
qcrisp
Grimscribe
Points: 125,781, Level: 100 Points: 125,781, Level: 100 Points: 125,781, Level: 100
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%

Oddly enough, my adverting to those two comments had nothing to do with the mention of Houellebecq. At any rate, Houellebecq would come near the bottom of the list. But fine. Let's move on.

Absolutely candid, carefree, but straightforward speech becomes possible for the first time when one speaks of the highest." - Friedrich Schlegel
qcrisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016   #46
Druidic
Grimscribe
Points: 77,541, Level: 100 Points: 77,541, Level: 100 Points: 77,541, Level: 100
Activity: 71% Activity: 71% Activity: 71%

Quite right. Ellison is an Old Time Liberal Guy, mainly because he formed his views in the era of old time liberal guys, and he's getting pretty old.--Kevin

So is Bernie Sanders...old, I mean. But he ain't an Old Time Liberal Guy that's for sure lol.
I laughed when I read Hillary's people referred to him as a "doofus."

Ellison was one of the Greats but I fear he will end up like the other Giants in the field--Sturgeon, Bester, Leiber--forgotten or neglected. Many readers want to read contemporary writers, no matter if their work is markedly inferior.
Druidic is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks From:
miguel1984 (10-19-2016)
Old 10-19-2016   #47
Sad Marsh Ghost
Quotes:

I miss Bernie. Voice of sanity.

Harlan Ellison is entertaining, but I find much of what he says to be gibberish.
2 Thanks From:
miguel1984 (10-19-2016), Nirvana In Karma (10-19-2016)
Old 10-19-2016   #48
Robert Adam Gilmour
Grimscribe
Points: 63,009, Level: 100 Points: 63,009, Level: 100 Points: 63,009, Level: 100
Activity: 50% Activity: 50% Activity: 50%

Not sure why Ellison and so many other writers refer to fiction as lies. How can it be lies if it's not trying to pass itself off as literal truth? We know it's fiction from the beginning.
Does calling it lying just make it seem more edgy?

Robert Adam Gilmour is offline   Reply With Quote
3 Thanks From:
Druidic (10-19-2016), miguel1984 (10-19-2016), Spiral (10-19-2016)
Old 10-19-2016   #49
Druidic
Grimscribe
Points: 77,541, Level: 100 Points: 77,541, Level: 100 Points: 77,541, Level: 100
Activity: 71% Activity: 71% Activity: 71%
Cool Re: RE. Your Thoughts on Cultural Appropriation In Writing?

Nietzsche said that the Poets lied. Jim Morrison, a fan of the German philosopher sang, "Gonna tell you lies/Wicked lies..."

Facts and stats are just too dry to feed the hunger of the human heart. Fiction creates lies that ironically often hold a mirror to the truth.
The mythology of the heart demands such things.
Druidic is offline   Reply With Quote
5 Thanks From:
Kevin (10-19-2016), miguel1984 (10-19-2016), Mr. Veech (10-19-2016), Raul Urraca (10-19-2016), With Strength I Burn (10-19-2016)
Old 10-19-2016   #50
Gnosticangel
Grimscribe
Threadstarter
Points: 58,485, Level: 100 Points: 58,485, Level: 100 Points: 58,485, Level: 100
Activity: 50% Activity: 50% Activity: 50%

Druidic wrote: "Nietzsche said that the Poets lied. Jim Morrison, a fan of the German philosopher sang, "Gonna tell you lies/Wicked lies..."

Facts and stats are just too dry to feed the hunger of the human heart. Fiction creates lies that ironically often hold a mirror to the truth.
The mythology of the heart demands such things."

Well said, Druidic! Thanks for this reminder of the real power of fiction that underlies all the noise.
Gnosticangel is offline   Reply With Quote
4 Thanks From:
Druidic (10-19-2016), Kevin (10-19-2016), miguel1984 (10-19-2016), Raul Urraca (10-19-2016)