THE NIGHTMARE NETWORK
Go Back   THE NIGHTMARE NETWORK > Wayward Distractions > Film
Home Forums Content Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Contagion Members Media Diversion Info Register

Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes Translate
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #491
Robert Adam Gilmour
Grimscribe
Quotes: 0
Points: 21,845, Level: 100 Points: 21,845, Level: 100 Points: 21,845, Level: 100
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Activity: 99% Activity: 99% Activity: 99%
Re: Movie Recommendations

Kung Fu: Trailers Of Fury is an odd release. It's just a collection of trailers found in an old English cinema, but it's made worthwhile by the audio commentary and the main documentary (both of which feature Ric Meyers, who I'd guess is America's foremost expert on Chinese martial arts films).

The documentary frustratingly doesn't spend much time on the 80s or 90s and doesn't really go any further.

Unfortunately there's a lot of Brucesploitation trailers, but also a few interesting obscurities in there too. Lo Lieh is in more of the trailers than anyone else.

Some Interesting things from the commentary and documentary...

- Hong Kong films sometimes picked up unknown western actors and pretended they were a famous in the west. There's a really cute actress called Jennie Jones in the Death Blow trailer and I can't find anything else about her (her name is difficult to search because of the more famous Jenny Jones).
- Meyers says that despite Hong Kong film people putting so much passion into their work, they're frequently surprised anyone likes their work.
- How miserably these films paid actors sometimes.
- How normal it was for a Hong Kong film person to be an actor, choreographer, director, stunt person, camera crew and do hundreds of films.
- Oliver Stone's eagerness to talk to Meyers about Chinese actresses.

Snake In The Eagle's Shadow trailer shows you a cat vs snake fight I'm pretty sure wasn't in the version of the film I saw. Apparently they removed the snake's teeth so it couldn't properly hurt the cat. It's still quite alarming though.

Robert Adam Gilmour is offline   Reply With Quote
3 Thanks From:
miguel1984 (3 Weeks Ago), ToALonelyPeace (3 Weeks Ago), Zaharoff (3 Weeks Ago)
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #492
Zaharoff
Grimscribe
Points: 8,102, Level: 62 Points: 8,102, Level: 62 Points: 8,102, Level: 62
Level up: 84% Level up: 84% Level up: 84%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Adam Gilmour View Post
Kung Fu: Trailers Of Fury is an odd release. It's just a collection of trailers found in an old English cinema, but it's made worthwhile by the audio commentary and the main documentary (both of which feature Ric Meyers, who I'd guess is America's foremost expert on Chinese martial arts films).
Ric Meyers was also a regular contributor to the now defunct Asian Cult Cinema magazine.
He provided commentaries on many DVDs via Sony Pictures.
Zaharoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks From:
Robert Adam Gilmour (3 Weeks Ago)
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #493
Robert Adam Gilmour
Grimscribe
Points: 21,845, Level: 100 Points: 21,845, Level: 100 Points: 21,845, Level: 100

THE LONG HAIR OF DEATH

I thought I might have already seen this when I bought a bunch of 60s Italian Barbara Steele horror films years ago, they mostly blur together. I think it's new to me, but anyway, it is a lot like the others, quite dull but still got some basic enjoyment out of it.

THE SLAYER

A supernatural slasher on a beach. Nice setting but the characters get tiresome quickly, has some hackneyed dialogue like "this place gives me the creeps, I feel like I'm being watched". There's some fairly decent moments and the theme music is good (could have been from a lush rococo costume drama) but I didn't like it much.

ERIK THE CONQUEROR

Not a horror film but it stands up well among Bava's better films. I had mostly not bothered seeing his non-horror films but I might have to give more of them a chance.

3 Thanks From:
miguel1984 (3 Weeks Ago), ToALonelyPeace (3 Weeks Ago), Zaharoff (3 Weeks Ago)
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #494
Mr. Veech
Grimscribe
Points: 10,991, Level: 72 Points: 10,991, Level: 72 Points: 10,991, Level: 72
Level up: 47% Level up: 47% Level up: 47%

Watching The Witch in a dark and barren apartment is a real treat. Good stuff.

"In a less scientific age, he would have been a devil-worshipper, a partaker in the abominations of the Black Mass; or would have given himself to the study and practice of sorcery. His was a religious soul that had failed to find good in the scheme of things; and lacking it, was impelled to make of evil itself an object of secret reverence."

~ Clark Ashton Smith, "The Devotee of Evil"
Mr. Veech is offline   Reply With Quote
7 Thanks From:
GirlyGirlMask (3 Weeks Ago), miguel1984 (3 Weeks Ago), Patrick G.P (3 Weeks Ago), Robert Adam Gilmour (3 Weeks Ago), ToALonelyPeace (2 Weeks Ago), Trau (2 Weeks Ago), Zaharoff (3 Weeks Ago)
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #495
Robert Adam Gilmour
Grimscribe

WE ARE THE FLESH

Haven't seen anything gross and nasty in a while because I've drifted away from that a bit, but this looked very very pretty so I gave in. It helps that Arrow gave it a kind of modern classic packaging (which the very good Villainess also got).

I was bracing myself a little bit, but actually it wasn't hard to watch at all, much sexier than I thought it would be too.

You might feel it doesn't really go anywhere but the two great performances, the sheer gorgeousness of the visuals and the hotness made it very much worth my time.

In the credits, all of Minter's influences for the film are named and it's a lot of the people you'd expect for an arty taboo lover. This is like a modern revival of the panic movement.
I was surprised Cuaron and Inarritu were big supporters of this film.

Looking forward to anything else Minter does.

PREMATURE BURIAL

The 60s Corman/Poe film without Vincent Price. I think it's one of the better ones but a few things didn't make sense. Of all the solutions to get out the tomb, why didn't Milland make a key? Why didn't more of his friends and family try to wait longer before they buried him, after all that fuss?

The garden is really cool.

I might as well seek out Oblong Box now (Price/Poe without Corman).

4 Thanks From:
miguel1984 (2 Weeks Ago), Patrick G.P (2 Weeks Ago), ToALonelyPeace (2 Weeks Ago), Zaharoff (2 Weeks Ago)
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #496
Robert Adam Gilmour
Grimscribe

CAPTAIN CLEGG

Bought this for Yvonne Romain and wasn't expecting much else going on but it's quite good. The horror elements are minor, it's really a film about smugglers, but there isn't much time spent at sea. The matte paintings are great and I wish they had used those phantoms of the marshes as a real supernatural threat in another film.

An adaptation of Russell Thordike's Dr Syn books. Star Peter Cushing contributed costume designs but didn't get his version of the script through.

3 Thanks From:
miguel1984 (2 Weeks Ago), ToALonelyPeace (2 Weeks Ago), Zaharoff (2 Weeks Ago)
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #497
Trau
Acolyte
Points: 3,199, Level: 36 Points: 3,199, Level: 36 Points: 3,199, Level: 36
Level up: 99% Level up: 99% Level up: 99%
Activity: 50% Activity: 50% Activity: 50%

Blind Sun. In near future Greece where water is scarce, a Middle Eastern immigrant house sits for a French family. The lack of water, the discrimination and incompetence on the part of local law enforcement, and possibly a local archeological dig threaten to push the man into madness.

Spring. Nice Lovecraftian love story. Not so much cosmic horror as body horror.

Both titles are on the Shudder streaming service, which I recommend highly. It's got everything from schlock to high-brow with every budget level covered.
Trau is offline   Reply With Quote
3 Thanks From:
miguel1984 (2 Weeks Ago), ToALonelyPeace (1 Week Ago), Zaharoff (2 Weeks Ago)
Old 1 Week Ago   #498
Robert Adam Gilmour
Grimscribe

Circus Of Horrors - Early 60s British horror about a dastardly plastic surgeon who owns a circus, gives makeovers to facially scarred beautiful women and gets them to perform in his circus, but he kills them when they endanger him. It's not bad.
Cast includes Donald Pleasance, Yvonne Romain and Yvonne Monlaur (who died in April, I just discovered).

The Black Castle - 50s gothic adventure film set in 18th century, which I'm not sure would qualify as a swashbuckler because it doesn't really have much swordfighting. It's not bad.
Karloff and Chaney Jr in supporting roles.

3 Thanks From:
miguel1984 (1 Week Ago), ToALonelyPeace (1 Week Ago), Zaharoff (1 Week Ago)
Old 1 Week Ago   #499
Pan Michael
Acolyte
Points: 4,797, Level: 47 Points: 4,797, Level: 47 Points: 4,797, Level: 47
Level up: 24% Level up: 24% Level up: 24%
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%

"A Dark Song". Currently on Netflix. The best horror film I've seen in a long time. It should appeal to anyone interested in grimoires and ceremonial magic. Very well done.
Pan Michael is offline   Reply With Quote
5 Thanks From:
miguel1984 (1 Week Ago), Patrick G.P (1 Week Ago), Robert Adam Gilmour (1 Week Ago), ToALonelyPeace (4 Days Ago), Zaharoff (1 Week Ago)
Old 4 Days Ago   #500
Robert Adam Gilmour
Grimscribe

Ghost Of Frankenstein - Awful script, even for what it is there's a lot of poor logic. I'm quite fond of Lugosi as Igor but it just seems wrong to have him speaking through the monster's body.

Scarecrows - A military slasher film, combining two genres I don't like much. For all the time I've spent on dull and hackneyed gothic films, every time I see a slasher film I'm glad I haven't made a habit of seeing them. The Scarecrows do look very good though.

Whip And The Body - Very pleased with this one. It's a good illustration of why I persevere with mediocre scripted gothic films. It's one of Mario Bava's best looking films. Yes, it's a bit boring but the style and mood is so consistent you can really wallow in it.
Roughly on a level with Black Sunday and Kill Baby Kill but not as good as Black Sabbath.

Soundtrack is annoyingly repetitive and Kill Baby Kill seems to have reused one of the main pieces. I watched the English version because there was no subtitles for the Italian soundtrack, so maybe the music varies a bit more in Italian, I don't know.

I had been wary of getting this because the reviews of the current Odeon/Screenbound and Kino remasters were so negative, but there might not be another remaster for a long time, so gave in. I have no technical knowledge of film so I don't know how much better it could have looked, but it looks plenty great to me.

El Sur/The South by Victor Erice - Very cosy and similar to Spirits Of The Beehive.

3 Thanks From:
miguel1984 (15 Hours Ago), Patrick G.P (1 Day Ago), ToALonelyPeace (4 Days Ago)