THE NIGHTMARE NETWORK
Go Back   THE NIGHTMARE NETWORK > Discussion & Interpretation > Other Authors > General Discussion
Home Forums Content Contagion Members Media Diversion Info Register

Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes Translate
Old 10-01-2009   #21
Umney
Mannikin
Quotes: 0
Points: 5,968, Level: 53 Points: 5,968, Level: 53 Points: 5,968, Level: 53
Level up: 9% Level up: 9% Level up: 9%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Send a message via MSN to Umney
Re: Favourite ghost story writers and stories?

M.R. James (be born, be born)
Far too hard to pick any one favorite – though I’ve always been partial to Cannon Alberic’s Scrap-book.

M. R. James be born, be born.
Umney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009   #22
Julian Karswell
Quotes:

Quote Originally Posted by Evans View Post
Quote Originally Posted by Julian Karswell View Post
Did Wordsworth ever get round to doing a Wakefield collection? I seem to recall there being some talk of it.

I doubt they would do it because of the royalties business but I wish some widescale publisher would reprint A N L Munby's Alabaster Hand collection.
I can let you have a gratis copy of the Tandem paperback edition when I send you the other book. I have a spare. It's scruffy but perfectly serviceable.

As you probably know, Munby wrote three of the tales whilst in a POW camp during WW2. The editor of the prison camp magazine ['Touchstone'] was an Edward Viney. I have a bound collection of Touchstone featuring all three of the Munby tales (two are illustrated) that has Viney's bookplate and personal inscription in the front i.e. it was his own file copy.

About 200 copies of each edition of Touchstone were produced. It's quite rare. One of the issues features a short story involving the sexual escapades of the narrator. It's title? 'A Warning To The Curious'.......
Thank you very much, that's very kind of you. I would love a copy.

I did know the condition in which some of Munby's stories were written though I hadn't heard anything much else about the contents of the magazine. Recently while sharking about on AbeBooks it amused me to learn how its still much easier to get hold of the 1949 edition of The Alabaster Hand than either of the two Ash-Tree printings.

Incidentally did the cheque I sent you for Vittorini arrive ok? I only ask because the postal unpleasantness seems to have stopped a few of my letters bound north of the Thames from reaching their destinations this month.
No, I don't think it has, but I'll need to check.

My post has been appalling of late. Is this really 2009 or have I missed a millenium and it's actually 1009? Things sent or received from overseas are fairly reliable but post within the UK is diabolical.
Old 10-01-2009   #23
Evans
Grimscribe
Points: 32,953, Level: 100 Points: 32,953, Level: 100 Points: 32,953, Level: 100
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Activity: 99% Activity: 99% Activity: 99%

Did Wordsworth ever get round to doing a Wakefield collection? I seem to recall there being some talk of it.

I doubt they would do it because of the royalties business but I wish some widescale publisher would reprint A N L Munby's Alabaster Hand collection.
I can let you have a gratis copy of the Tandem paperback edition when I send you the other book. I have a spare. It's scruffy but perfectly serviceable.

As you probably know, Munby wrote three of the tales whilst in a POW camp during WW2. The editor of the prison camp magazine ['Touchstone'] was an Edward Viney. I have a bound collection of Touchstone featuring all three of the Munby tales (two are illustrated) that has Viney's bookplate and personal inscription in the front i.e. it was his own file copy.

About 200 copies of each edition of Touchstone were produced. It's quite rare. One of the issues features a short story involving the sexual escapades of the narrator. It's title? 'A Warning To The Curious'.......
Thank you very much, that's very kind of you. I would love a copy.

I did know the condition in which some of Munby's stories were written though I hadn't heard anything much else about the contents of the magazine. Recently while sharking about on AbeBooks it amused me to learn how its still much easier to get hold of the 1949 edition of The Alabaster Hand than either of the two Ash-Tree printings.

Incidentally did the cheque I sent you for Vittorini arrive ok? I only ask because the postal unpleasantness seems to have stopped a few of my letters bound north of the Thames from reaching their destinations this month.
No, I don't think it has, but I'll need to check.

My post has been appalling of late. Is this really 2009 or have I missed a millenium and it's actually 1009? Things sent or received from overseas are fairly reliable but post within the UK is diabolical.

Ehh if it doesn't come soon give me a kick and I'll have the bank cancel it and find a way to Paypal you the money.
Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009   #24
Russell Nash
Grimscribe
Points: 5,540, Level: 50 Points: 5,540, Level: 50 Points: 5,540, Level: 50
Level up: 95% Level up: 95% Level up: 95%

"The Last Voyage of the Ghost Ship", Gabriel Garcia Márquez

"Miriam", Truman Capote

"The Hollow of the Three Hills", Nathaniel Hawthorne

"The Vision of Charles XI", Prosper Merimée

I know who you are
Russell Nash is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks From:
G. S. Carnivals (10-01-2009)
Old 10-01-2009   #25
Dark Deceiver
Mannikin
Points: 6,624, Level: 56 Points: 6,624, Level: 56 Points: 6,624, Level: 56
Level up: 37% Level up: 37% Level up: 37%

Mine would probably be :-

'An Episode of Cathedral History' - M.R.James

'Twilight Play' - August Derleth

'Ringing The Changes' - Robert Aickman

'There's a Long, Long Trail A-Winding' - Russell Kirk
Dark Deceiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks From:
G. S. Carnivals (10-01-2009)
Old 10-01-2009   #26
G. S. Carnivals
Our Temporary Supervisor
Quotes: 397
Points: 272,439, Level: 100 Points: 272,439, Level: 100 Points: 272,439, Level: 100
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%

Three personal favorites are The Turn of the Screw by Henry James, "Smoke Ghost" by Fritz Leiber, and "The Scream: From 1800 to the Present" by Thomas Ligotti.

"What does it mean to be alive except to court disaster and suffering at every moment?"

Tibet: Carnivals?
Ligotti: Ceremonies for initiating children into the cult of the sinister.
Tibet: Gas stations?
Ligotti: Nothing to say about gas stations as such, although I've always responded to the smell of gasoline as if it were a kind of perfume.
G. S. Carnivals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009   #27
Julian Karswell
Quotes:

I prefer the film 'The Innocents' to the story 'Turn Of The Screw' because it's such a brilliant piece of cinema.
Old 10-30-2014   #28
Robert Adam Gilmour
Grimscribe
Points: 63,009, Level: 100 Points: 63,009, Level: 100 Points: 63,009, Level: 100
Activity: 50% Activity: 50% Activity: 50%

I couldn't think of an appropriate thread so I just went by genre.

Just found in the shops this week, Mary Elizabeth Braddon - The Face In The Glass And Other Gothic Tales. Cover art is quite similar to the recent Aickman reprints but published by British Library. 14 tales.
Seems to be another once famous novelist who written some ghost stories occasionally.

Robert Adam Gilmour is offline   Reply With Quote
3 Thanks From:
ChildofOldLeech (10-30-2014), Doctor Dugald Eldritch (10-30-2014), miguel1984 (07-19-2015)
Old 10-31-2014   #29
teguififthzeal
Grimscribe
Points: 24,943, Level: 100 Points: 24,943, Level: 100 Points: 24,943, Level: 100

Sheridan Le Fanu grows on me the older I get.

“The real reason why so few men believe in God is that they have ceased to believe that even a God can love them.”
― Thomas Merton, No Man Is an Island
teguififthzeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks From:
miguel1984 (07-19-2015)
Old 07-19-2015   #30
Robert Adam Gilmour
Grimscribe
Points: 63,009, Level: 100 Points: 63,009, Level: 100 Points: 63,009, Level: 100
Activity: 50% Activity: 50% Activity: 50%

Always found Leonaur to be an interesting publisher because their ghost story collections are enormous and given how comprehensive they are it's odd I don't see them mentioned more.

Two books that I haven't heard of any other publisher doing.
- Mukerji's Ghosts, a collection of Indian folk tales.
- Unseen Hand, a collection of stories wholly devoted to unidentified authors.

Robert Adam Gilmour is offline   Reply With Quote
4 Thanks From:
ChildofOldLeech (07-19-2015), Doctor Dugald Eldritch (07-20-2015), miguel1984 (07-19-2015), njhorror (05-06-2016)