THE NIGHTMARE NETWORK
Go Back   THE NIGHTMARE NETWORK > Discussion & Interpretation > Thomas Ligotti > General Discussion
Home Forums Content Contagion Members Media Diversion Info Register

Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes Translate
Old 03-03-2011   #31
Ascrobius
Our Temporary Supervisor
Quotes: 0
Points: 31,273, Level: 100 Points: 31,273, Level: 100 Points: 31,273, Level: 100
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Activity: 25% Activity: 25% Activity: 25%
Re: Suicide as an affirmation

"Two weeks means forever to you?"

Wow. Aside from being a "Suicide as an Affirmation" thread, this must also be a "no joking" thread. By the way, where did I mention anything about "forever"? Interesting that there would be such a snide reaction to a sardonic comment. Again, please show me the connection between the joke I made and my interpretation of "forever". I made no mention of "forever" nor did I allude to anything remotely related to the concept.

I tell you everything that is really nothing, and nothing of what is everything, do not be fooled by what I am saying. Please listen carefully and try to hear what I am not saying. ~Charles C. Finn
Ascrobius is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Thanks From:
Cyril Tourneur (03-03-2011), Spotbowserfido2 (03-03-2011)
Old 03-03-2011   #32
Tsalal Akbar
Acolyte
Threadstarter
Points: 4,706, Level: 46 Points: 4,706, Level: 46 Points: 4,706, Level: 46
Level up: 78% Level up: 78% Level up: 78%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Quote Originally Posted by Ascrobius View Post
Aside from being a "Suicide as an Affirmation" thread...
What's that supposed to mean?
Tsalal Akbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011   #33
Ascrobius
Our Temporary Supervisor
Points: 31,273, Level: 100 Points: 31,273, Level: 100 Points: 31,273, Level: 100

I guess all I can say is "What is that supposed to mean", supposed to mean.

Read the whole post and it explains the comment. It's sarcastic, as was the original post I made above, which seems to have been lost in the translation, or so it seems.

I tell you everything that is really nothing, and nothing of what is everything, do not be fooled by what I am saying. Please listen carefully and try to hear what I am not saying. ~Charles C. Finn
Old 03-03-2011   #34
sundog
Chymist
Points: 15,501, Level: 85 Points: 15,501, Level: 85 Points: 15,501, Level: 85
Level up: 86% Level up: 86% Level up: 86%

"Two weeks means forever to you?"

Wow. Aside from being a "Suicide as an Affirmation" thread, this must also be a "no joking" thread. By the way, where did I mention anything about "forever"? Interesting that there would be such a snide reaction to a sardonic comment. Again, please show me the connection between the joke I made and my interpretation of "forever". I made no mention of "forever" nor did I allude to anything remotely related to the concept.

You may joke all you wish, but please don't expect me to find your jokes funny. Or even care to regard them as jokes, sardonic or not.

In the context you use it I would say "never" can easily be understood as related to "forever". "Never ever" of course would be better, and probably even more jokey.
sundog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011   #35
Tsalal Akbar
Acolyte
Threadstarter

I guess all I can say is "What is that supposed to mean", supposed to mean.

Read the whole post and it explains the comment. It's sarcastic, as was the original post I made above, which seems to have been lost in the translation, or so it seems.
I read the whole post. It just seemed as if you were mocking the entire thread by refering to it as "a suicide as an affirmation thread", especially as that is already known to all by the title.
Old 03-03-2011   #36
Tsalal Akbar
Acolyte
Threadstarter

Why so many jokes in a thread about suicide? It's not a particularly humorous topic.
Old 03-03-2011   #37
Ascrobius
Our Temporary Supervisor

Wow. Aren't we sensitive? I'm going to ignore what appears to be a comment designed to be intentionally provocative and a tad bit hostile. And to tell you the truth, you can care or not care about whatever you'd like, but I find it fascinating that for someone who doesn't care, your reaction to an ironic comment was just a little hostile. Perhaps if you truly didn't care, you would have ignored the comment altogether. Not only that, but please don't put words in my mouth. I am very aware of what I said, its intention, and its potential implications, so if you misinterpreted it, which you did, that's on you. I know what the comment meant...I said it, after all, so there is no disputing what the comment meant on a syntactic or semantic level, as I made it with a particular intention in mind.

"In the context you use it I would say "never" can easily be understood as related to "forever". "Never ever" of course would be better."

How "never" can "easily be understood as related to "forever" within the context of the original ironic comment is a little bit of a stretch, no?

Old 03-03-2011   #38
sundog
Chymist
Points: 15,501, Level: 85 Points: 15,501, Level: 85 Points: 15,501, Level: 85
Level up: 86% Level up: 86% Level up: 86%

Quote Originally Posted by Tsalal Akbar View Post
Why so many jokes in a thread about suicide? It's not a particularly humorous topic.
It's a natural way of trying to sublimate the horror of it. You'd be surprised how many morbid jokes are told among the workers in an average crematorium. At least the ones I've visited during my ethnological field-work. Still, the workers take care not to joke around when the relatives of the deceased come around.
sundog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011   #39
Ascrobius
Our Temporary Supervisor

Guys...do me and yourselves a favor and don't pick a fight with me. There's been much too much of that on this board in the last several months. If you're going to be so sensitive about a joking comment, suicide thread or not, please do me a favor and don't go starting to make implicitly or explicitly insulting or disrespectful comments directed at me because you happen to be sensitive about the subject of suicide, don't like what I said, "don't care about jokes", or whatever. Seriously. We'll all be better off if this thread doesn't take that bad turn, so I said what I had to say and I'll be a grown up and leave it at that. You guys can now have your beloved thread back.

Old 03-03-2011   #40
Tsalal Akbar
Acolyte
Threadstarter

Quote Originally Posted by sundog View Post
Quote Originally Posted by Tsalal Akbar View Post
It's a natural way of trying to sublimate the horror of it. You'd be surprised how many morbid jokes are told among the workers in an average crematorium. At least the ones I've visited during my ethnological field-work. Still, the workers take care not to joke around when the relatives of the deceased come around.
Makes sense, but it just seems a bit odd on a site devoted to a horror writer.