THE NIGHTMARE NETWORK
Go Back   THE NIGHTMARE NETWORK > Miscellanea > Off Topic
Home Forums Content Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Contagion Members Media Diversion Info Register

Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes Translate
Old 05-14-2013   #1
bendk
Grimscribe
Quotes: 1
Points: 180,290, Level: 100 Points: 180,290, Level: 100 Points: 180,290, Level: 100
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Activity: 14% Activity: 14% Activity: 14%
Items of interest on eBay

Dr. Bantham suggested this thread a long time ago, but I voiced my concern that it might have TLOers in bidding wars. I no longer feel this way. (translation: I don't collect much of anything any more so I am not concerned about getting outbid.). Anyway, here are a few items that may interest our membership, if only to look at. A cool piece of art by Reggie Oliver, and a nice illustration by Robert M. Price now being used on a t-shirt. In the description of the latter item it tells of a book that I would love to have.

bendk is offline   Reply With Quote
5 Thanks From:
Druidic (05-15-2013), g (05-16-2013), Murony_Pyre (05-18-2013), Sam (05-17-2013), yellowish haze (05-16-2016)
Old 05-15-2013   #2
Murony_Pyre
Chymist
Quotes: 0
Points: 14,100, Level: 81 Points: 14,100, Level: 81 Points: 14,100, Level: 81
Level up: 86% Level up: 86% Level up: 86%
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%
Re: Items of interest on eBay

Thanks for mentioning these. The book sounds excellent. As for the shirt, I don't go in for that kind of thing usually. What the late George Carlin had to say about clothes with advertisements, etc. on them always made a lot of sense to me. Similarly, in Ghost World one of the girls remark about a 'weird' stand-up comedian: "How weird can he be, he's wearing Nikes!".
However, the proceeds of the sale of this shirt go to a good cause: the production of those promised/promising books!
And, against my better judgment, I do like Mr. Price's depiction of our cephalopodan priest; he really got the rubbery right.
I will try to buy one and will be inquiring about those books when I do so.

UPDATE: I bought three of these shirts.

Last edited by Murony_Pyre; 05-18-2013 at 12:51 AM..
Murony_Pyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks From:
bendk (05-17-2013)
Old 05-17-2013   #3
Lance Thingmaker
Mannikin
Points: 921, Level: 17 Points: 921, Level: 17 Points: 921, Level: 17
Level up: 21% Level up: 21% Level up: 21%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Hi All. I am the guy making the Crypt of Cthulhu book with Mr. Price. I just thought I would stop by and give a quick update. I am working on finishing the clean up of the original pages, which is minimal. I am going to start printing in early June, so I can start binding them toward the end of the Month. I will start taking pre orders shortly, but want to be a little farther along. I print and bind all the books by hand, no digital printing, they are all traditional. Pre order price will be $44 with free shipping in the US. I believe I will be making 200 copies of the book, depending on pre orders. Please email me if you have any specific questions, and thanks.

Lance
Lance Thingmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Thanks From:
bendk (05-17-2013), Sam (05-18-2013)
Old 05-22-2013   #4
Lucian Taylor
Mystic
Points: 6,358, Level: 55 Points: 6,358, Level: 55 Points: 6,358, Level: 55
Level up: 4% Level up: 4% Level up: 4%
Activity: 21% Activity: 21% Activity: 21%

Thankfully I brought my copy from Ebay last year so It'll be interesting to find out how much this eventually sells for.
Lucian Taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks From:
Sam (05-23-2013)
Old 07-07-2013   #5
Murony_Pyre
Chymist

Quote Originally Posted by Murony_Pyre View Post
Thanks for mentioning these. The book sounds excellent. As for the shirt, I don't go in for that kind of thing usually. What the late George Carlin had to say about clothes with advertisements, etc. on them always made a lot of sense to me. Similarly, in Ghost World one of the girls remark about a 'weird' stand-up comedian: "How weird can he be, he's wearing Nikes!".
However, the proceeds of the sale of this shirt go to a good cause: the production of those promised/promising books!
And, against my better judgment, I do like Mr. Price's depiction of our cephalopodan priest; he really got the rubbery right.
I will try to buy one and will be inquiring about those books when I do so.

UPDATE: I bought three of these shirts.
I got screwed by the seller of these shirts and I am writing this to warn others from dealing with CreepyCult or Lance "Thingmaker" Webber on eBay. Here is the honest rundown of my experience with this guy:

-I paid for these shirts in May.
-He said that he was making them up and would send as soon as they were ready
-I said "No problem"
-Weeks pass
-I inquire about the shirts again about the 20th of last month
-He says "uh, who are you again? What sizes were they?" etc.
-I provide him with the sizes I need (again)
-More time passes. I inquire again.
-He says that, although the shirts have been made, he hasn't sent them (for some unspecified reason). He asks if I would like them to be sent or would I like my money back.
-I say please refund (not believing the shirts actually exist)
-Nothing for about a day and a half
-I pursue through Paypal and then hear from Lance

I have really lost my patience and apparently my chances of getting my money back through Paypal (45 day limit). This guy really strung me along so that I would miss the 45 day cut off for Paypal intervention. I will be inquiring with my credit card company to see if they can help.

I still do not have my money and he is ignoring all messages from me which, to be frank, I am bombarding him with.

Please beware of this guy, if purchasing Lovecraftian merch (which is doubly awful since I never buy crap like this!). Do not give this guy money; you'll probably never see that Crypt of Cthulhu anthology.

Please PM or reply with ANY ideas on how I can get my $67 dollars back!
Old 07-07-2013   #6
bendk
Grimscribe
Threadstarter
Points: 180,290, Level: 100 Points: 180,290, Level: 100 Points: 180,290, Level: 100

Sorry to hear about your transaction difficulties, Murony_Pyre. I usually don't buy shirts either, but I did purchase one because it was for a good cause and because I am trying to motivate myself to go to the Necronomicon in August. I'm sure it would be fashionable there. The shipping was a little slow, but my shirt arrived and it is very nice. This is my first transaction with Lance, but no problems on this end. I should have added in my OP that I am not endorsing any seller, but that I just think the item posted might be of interest to some of the members of our forum. I also ordered the book. I am not sweating that purchase yet as I just checked his feedback profile and in the close to 600 transactions this year, he only received one negative feedback.

This auction is over. I placed a bid just to put it on my radar, and I intended to place a more substantial bid later, but, as usual, I forgot about the ending date and was outbid. Does anyone know what this story "Memoirs of a Mirror" is? Perhaps one of our members won the auction and would share the info. Thanks.

Last edited by bendk; 07-08-2013 at 03:19 AM..
Old 07-07-2013   #7
Murony_Pyre
Chymist

Hi Bendk,

Thanks for sharing your experience. Everything relating to online deals is pretty subjective/case-by-case, people are unaccountably treated differently by certain people selling things. For this reason, the "no problems here" stuff is never really useful in cases like this. It just makes people who have legitimate issues appear pariahs.

Also, I hope it was clear that I was in no way suggesting that you were in any way responsible for my poor judgment in dealing with Lance. I take at least that much responsibility for my own actions. I'd actually quite forgotten that you were the OP, not that it matters.
In other circumstances, I'd be thanking you for my wonderful transaction, I suppose.

Anyway, as is so often the case in situations like this, I have managed to bother Lance into sending me my money back, which he has now done. It is very disappointing and annoying to have had to resort to this--it makes a person feel petty but I think I'll survive.

He said he'll send the shirts anyway, but I'll believe that when I see it-- if he does, then he is a stand up dude whom I've sorely misjudged.
Old 08-07-2013   #8
bendk
Grimscribe
Threadstarter

If you are a fan of T.E.D. Klein this is a wonderful resource. I don't know if I'd pay $35 (I think I got mine for about $16) but keep an eye out for it.

I think Easton Press has published two books on Lovecraft. A couple of weeks ago someone got At the Mountains of Madness for less than $40. I had never seen it sell for less than $80. I like to see how much these sell for. Does anyone have these volumes? Is the interior art any good?

And this one is just cool looking, and not to be seen again for a long time.
Old 09-23-2013   #9
Freyasfire
Grimscribe
Points: 17,431, Level: 91 Points: 17,431, Level: 91 Points: 17,431, Level: 91
Level up: 33% Level up: 33% Level up: 33%

Not a bad buy it now price for IAFTIAFL :
Freyasfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013   #10
Freyasfire
Grimscribe
Points: 17,431, Level: 91 Points: 17,431, Level: 91 Points: 17,431, Level: 91
Level up: 33% Level up: 33% Level up: 33%

Another listing for a like new copy of IAFTIAFL, with a very reasonable starting bid of $49.99:
Freyasfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks From:
Druidic (01-16-2014)