THE NIGHTMARE NETWORK
Go Back   THE NIGHTMARE NETWORK > Miscellanea > Members > Personal
Home Forums Content Contagion Members Media Diversion Info Register

Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes Translate
Old 12-29-2008   #1
The New Nonsense
Grimscribe
Quotes: 0
Points: 47,346, Level: 100 Points: 47,346, Level: 100 Points: 47,346, Level: 100
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Stupid ways to die

I must give G.S. Carnivals credit for getting me to start this tread. After telling him about a recent incident I was involved in, he thought I should share it with a new thread titled, "Stupid ways to die."

My story begins a bit over a week ago on Yule (Dec 21st). Every year I invite some friends over for a Yule fire in my backyard to celebrate the Winter Solstice. This year, due to very bad weather, there were only two of us in attendance. It was bitterly cold out, so I was bundled up in multiple layers. Halfway through the evening, my friend decided to go inside to fetch something. While he was inside I decided to stand near the fire to warm up. I closed my eyes, relaxed and listened to the wind as it blew through the trees.

After a short while, I noticed I was getting warmer. This was a welcome feeling considering how cold it was. At some point I opened my eyes. To my surprise, I saw that the entire front of my coat was completely engulfed in flames! Apparently, the wind had changed directions while I had my eyes closed causing the flames to catch my coat. I had so many layers on that I didn't notice anything other than a pleasant warmth. The flames hadn't quite reached my face yet.

I spun around and dove face-first into a snow drift to extinguish myself. Fortunately, I was unharmed. However, most of my coat was reduced to ash. When my friend came back, he was shocked at my appearance. I shrugged and calmly informed him he'd missed the Yuletide fireworks. It truly would have been a stupid way to die had I not been able to put myself out so quickly.

Has anyone else experienced any absurd accidents they want to share?

"Too much of anything is bad, but too much good whiskey is barely enough." Mark Twain
The New Nonsense is offline   Reply With Quote
7 Thanks From:
Bleak&Icy (12-29-2008), Cyril Tourneur (01-05-2009), G. S. Carnivals (12-29-2008), Mad Madison (07-04-2014), Nemonymous (12-30-2008), Odalisque (12-30-2008), starrysothoth (12-29-2008)
Old 12-29-2008   #2
Steve Dekorte
Chymist
Quotes: 0
Points: 67,073, Level: 100 Points: 67,073, Level: 100 Points: 67,073, Level: 100
Activity: 50% Activity: 50% Activity: 50%
Send a message via AIM to Steve Dekorte
Re: Stupid ways to die

Quote Originally Posted by The New Nonsense View Post
Last year, in the middle of a thought, I nearly died a cliche death by walking in front of a speeding bus as the stop light changed at an intersection. My friend Rich grabbed me just in time.

"The failed magician waves his wand, and in an instant the laughter is gone." - Martin Gore
Steve Dekorte is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks From:
Cyril Tourneur (01-05-2009)
Old 12-30-2008   #3
G. S. Carnivals
Our Temporary Supervisor
Quotes: 397
Points: 272,439, Level: 100 Points: 272,439, Level: 100 Points: 272,439, Level: 100
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%
Re: Stupid ways to die

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Dekorte View Post
Quote Originally Posted by The New Nonsense View Post
Last year, in the middle of a thought, I nearly died a cliche death by walking in front of a speeding bus as the stop light changed at an intersection. My friend Rich grabbed me just in time.
This is commonly known as the Dominio Option.

"What does it mean to be alive except to court disaster and suffering at every moment?"

Tibet: Carnivals?
Ligotti: Ceremonies for initiating children into the cult of the sinister.
Tibet: Gas stations?
Ligotti: Nothing to say about gas stations as such, although I've always responded to the smell of gasoline as if it were a kind of perfume.
G. S. Carnivals is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks From:
Cyril Tourneur (01-05-2009)