THE NIGHTMARE NETWORK
Go Back   THE NIGHTMARE NETWORK > Discussion & Interpretation > Quotation Forum > Thomas Ligotti Quotations > "Dr. Locrian's Asylum"
Home Forums Content Contagion Members Media Diversion Info Register

Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes Translate
Old 07-30-2008   #1
G. S. Carnivals
Our Temporary Supervisor
Quotes: 397
Points: 272,439, Level: 100 Points: 272,439, Level: 100 Points: 272,439, Level: 100
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%
Bright Puppets Dancing In The Blackness

Quote ( View Quotes )
Collapse This

“ 'Please, before you are led to think that his was merely a sentimental attachment, however perverse, let me say that it was no such thing. His feelings with respect to the sanitarium were in fact quite incredible, owing to the manner in which he had used his authority at that place. I found out about this when I was still very young, but not so young that I could not understand the profound conflict that existed between my father and grandfather. I disregarded my parents' admonitions that I not spend too much time with the old man, succumbing to the mystery of his presence. And one afternoon he revealed himself.

'He was gazing through the window and never once turned to face me. But after we had sat in silence for some time, he started to whisper something. "They questioned," he said. "They accused. They complained that no one in that place ever became well." Then he smiled and began to elaborate. "What things had they seen," he hissed, "to give them such... wisdom? They did not look into the faces," no, he did not say "faces" but "eyes." Yes, he said, "... did not look into the eyes of those beings, the eyes that reflected the lifeless beauty of the silent, staring universe itself."

'Those were his words. And then he talked about the voices of the patients under his care. He whispered, and I quote, that "the wonderful music of those voices spoke the supreme delirium of the planets as they go round and round like bright puppets dancing in the blackness." In the wandering words of those lunatics, he told me, the ancient mysteries were restored.'
”

Thomas Ligotti - “Dr. Locrian's Asylum”
Added by: G. S. Carnivals on 08-02-2008 #296

"What does it mean to be alive except to court disaster and suffering at every moment?"

Tibet: Carnivals?
Ligotti: Ceremonies for initiating children into the cult of the sinister.
Tibet: Gas stations?
Ligotti: Nothing to say about gas stations as such, although I've always responded to the smell of gasoline as if it were a kind of perfume.

Last edited by G. S. Carnivals; 07-30-2008 at 10:28 PM..
G. S. Carnivals is offline   Reply With Quote