THE NIGHTMARE NETWORK
Go Back   THE NIGHTMARE NETWORK > News > Other News
Home Forums Content Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Contagion Members Media Diversion Info Register

Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes Translate
Old 10-11-2009   #21
Julian Karswell
Banned
Quotes: 0
Points: 16,748, Level: 89 Points: 16,748, Level: 89 Points: 16,748, Level: 89
Level up: 43% Level up: 43% Level up: 43%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Re: "Cold to the Touch" by Simon Strantzas

Quote Originally Posted by Nemonymous View Post
Just spotted this review of Simon's book:
http://grimreviews.blogspot.com/2009/10/simon-strantzas-cold-to-touch-reviewed.html

I don't know who writes the GRIM REVIEWS blog but it is an excellent blog I look at all the time. It was stated, however, on the blog earlier that he or she is one of the 24 authors who has a story in CERN ZOO!
Cern Zoo? Hmm, I don't recall you mentioning Cern Zoo before, Des. Sounds intriguing.

JK
[In curmudgeonly mood.]
Julian Karswell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009   #22
Nemonymous
Grimscribe
Points: 139,636, Level: 100 Points: 139,636, Level: 100 Points: 139,636, Level: 100
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Activity: 43% Activity: 43% Activity: 43%

Yes, Julian, the writer of the Grim Reviews blog stated a few months ago on that blog that he or she was one of the 24 authors in Nemonymous Nine (Cern Zoo) - but I, for one, don't know who it is.
The Grim Reviews blog I've been following avidly for a long time now. And I'm pleased it has come out with a very strong review of Simon's COLD TO THE TOUCH book.
des (in a simple mood)

MY WEBSITE: www.nemonymous.com
Nemonymous is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks From:
starrysothoth (10-11-2009)
Old 10-11-2009   #23
Spotbowserfido2
Grimscribe
Quotes: 2
Points: 199,579, Level: 100 Points: 199,579, Level: 100 Points: 199,579, Level: 100
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%

I don't know who writes the GRIM REVIEWS blog but it is an excellent blog I look at all the time. It was stated, however, on the blog earlier that he or she is one of the 24 authors who has a story in CERN ZOO!
The Grim Reviewer is our fellow TLO member starrysothoth. His bloggings are quite astute.

"Like a dog!" he said; it was as if the shame of it must outlive him. - Franz Kafka, The Trial
Spotbowserfido2 is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Thanks From:
starrysothoth (10-11-2009), yellowish haze (10-13-2009)
Old 10-11-2009   #24
Nemonymous
Grimscribe
Points: 139,636, Level: 100 Points: 139,636, Level: 100 Points: 139,636, Level: 100

Quote Originally Posted by Spotbowserfido2 View Post
The Grim Reviewer is our fellow TLO member starrysothoth. His bloggings are quite astute.
Thanks, Spot. I didn't know that.
I now need to try to relate Starrysothoth to one of the 24 authors somehow!
I think I can guess. But I'm not sure.
des

Old 10-11-2009   #25
starrysothoth
Chymist
Points: 12,444, Level: 77 Points: 12,444, Level: 77 Points: 12,444, Level: 77
Level up: 13% Level up: 13% Level up: 13%
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%

Hi guys,

I'm glad you enjoy my blog. I was very impressed with Cold to the Touch, even with high expectations from seeing Simon around here. I'm truly fascinated by the great circle of writers who hang out on TLO, many of whom are (or at least started out) in a Ligottian orbit.

As for Nemonymous, I'll leave it to Des and others to guess which story I have in Cern Zoo until all is revealed in a few more months. ;) I'm glad to be in the collection. I don't ordinarily write much fiction, as non-fiction tracking/observations of the weird is my main focus (as I think Grim Reviews shows).
starrysothoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks From:
Spotbowserfido2 (10-11-2009)
Old 10-11-2009   #26
matt cardin
Grimscribe
Points: 34,061, Level: 100 Points: 34,061, Level: 100 Points: 34,061, Level: 100

Neat to find that you're "one of us," Grim Blogger. Like Des, I'm a fan of the blog and have come to consider it (you) one of the best and most astute online horror publications. I especially love your focus upon, and obviously well-developed sensibility for, weird fiction. So I suppose it's not a surprise in the end to find that you're here at TLO.

Your review does an excellent job of whetting my already-whetted appetite for Simon's new collection, btw.

matt cardin is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks From:
starrysothoth (10-11-2009)
Old 10-12-2009   #27
nomis
Grimscribe
Threadstarter
Points: 22,657, Level: 100 Points: 22,657, Level: 100 Points: 22,657, Level: 100

Thank you very much, starrysothoth, for reviewing the book. I must say, as those above have stated, "The Grim Review" is a must-visit blog, one to whose RSS feed I subscribe so I do not miss an entry. Yours was the one that turned me on to the Lovecraft Literary Podcast, which I enjoy immensely week after week.

I know this reply is the sort of "love-in" JK dislikes, but as you and I have had virtually no contact on- or offline, and that until this moment I had no idea you were the Grim Blogger even if we had, I'm hoping my appreciation of you blog, regardless of the wonderful review you've just posted, is taken as a reflection of my true feelings.

Simon Strantzas

http://www.strantzas.com
nomis is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks From:
starrysothoth (10-13-2009)
Old 10-12-2009   #28
Julian Karswell
Banned

Yes, Julian, the writer of the Grim Reviews blog stated a few months ago on that blog that he or she was one of the 24 authors in Nemonymous Nine (Cern Zoo) - but I, for one, don't know who it is.
The Grim Reviews blog I've been following avidly for a long time now. And I'm pleased it has come out with a very strong review of Simon's COLD TO THE TOUCH book.
des (in a simple mood)
No, what I meant is that you seem to namecheck Cern Zoo in every post, which in all honesty, has led me to ignore several of your recent posts, thinking "Uh oh, another plug for Cern Zoo".

I'm in no way slighting SS's new book nor the Grim Review blog. I'm simply making the point that it seems like 100% of your recent posts have been plugs rather than objective comment. Of course, there's nothing wrong with that, but it is the reason why I find myself reading fewer and fewer of them.

You're a man on a mission, that's obvious; I just don't happen to have much patience with missionaries, that's all. Nothing personal but bible-thumping has always given me a headache.

JK
Old 10-12-2009   #29
Nemonymous
Grimscribe

Chris, I can't recall name-checking 'Cern Zoo' recently in my TLO posts, but I'm sure you will be able to find one! I think I've name-checked your book, though, for genuine reasons. I do look forward to reading it...

I mentioned CZ on this thread because, in my perhaps false wisdom, thinking it a good idea to give a lead to others to guess who Grim Blogger is who wrote the SS review, a CZ poser the GB himself mentioned earlier on that blog.

Why are you affecting this thread with some apparent grievance against me now -- (whether justified or not)?

EDIT: I don't know why I'm spending my time - but I've done a search here for 'Cern Zoo' and the mentions seem very sparsely scattered over time and nothing like 100%!

Last edited by Nemonymous; 10-12-2009 at 04:54 AM..
Old 10-12-2009   #30
Julian Karswell
Banned

You're being paranoid. No one is picking you or 'affecting' the thread.

I'm simply making the valid observation that you plug Cern Zoo at the drop of a hat. Moderation is all. Well, toleration too.

There seems to be a rather nasty and pernicious tactic sweeping through the horror genre at the moment. We're meant to sit quietly like good little children while people engage in wholesale plugging and sychophancy, and are accused of having some obscure 'hidden agenda' if we disapprove of either the marketing or the quality of the prose. It's Orwellian thought-control, practised by people who want to get their own way, and directed at those who represent obstacles.

It's cheap politicking to accuse your opponents of nurturing a grievance, or indulging in sour grapes, or for being plain contrary. We're all entitled to an opinion. And let's not forget that you and all of the other self-hyping marketeers are, for want of a better cliche, throwing the first stone by hyping yourselves.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think this is the first time I've queried whether it is really necessary to keep on plugging Cern Zoo, and I only do so after having heard you namedrop it hundreds of times. I think I've demonstrated greater tolerance than you have.

And to be brutally frank, I'm not going to mute my criticism just because you're planning to review my forthcoming book. I really couldn't care a less what reviews the books receives, and have even less interest in awards (opinions I share with the publisher and introducer). Of course it will be interesting to see what you think of it, but (with respect) I don't need you to tell me how good a writer I am, and nor will I be coerced into submission for fear of reprisals.

Best of luck with Cern Zoo, but please, do you really have to take it so personally when someone points out that you plug it in every other post?

JK